“Hidden Gem!”
Review of Cat Huy Hotel

Cat Huy Hotel
Ranked #67 of 466 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed 23 March 2010

What fantastic little place!...In a great location but hidden away down a little back street, you could easily walk past without noticing it, however once inside the rooms are surprisingly, well 'massive'!! really modern hotel, with very large funky rooms and big modern ensuites. Rooms come equipped with big flat screen TV and aircon. I actually booked this hotel on a hostels website for around 22USD and was shocked at the quality of the hotel, I definately wouldnt class it as a hostel!.. Breakfast was also included in the price. Above all the staff at Cat Huy were fantastic, really helpful friendly and polite. After staying at the hotel for 3 nights at the beginning of our stay (in a deluxe room at no extra cost even though we'd only booked the standard) we then left for Phu Quoc island for a few days but were so impressed that we booked in again on our return to HCM City. The second time we stayed in standard room which really was just as good as the deluxe!...not sure what th advertised price difference is but if its alot I would stick to the standard as there's not too much difference, both are great!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katie55England

Reviewed 7 March 2010

Wasn't sure what to expect of a hotel that was located in a side alley that was lined with hawkers selling fresh produce, meat and cooked food.

It wasn't hard to locate the hotel because there was a prominent sign on the wall of a building with a helpful arrow pointing the direction of Cat Huy from the main road.

The appearance of the hotel was cosy and homey without feeling THAT "home-y". The lack of a lift to cart my bag up the first flight of steps to the reception brought about a little of a damper to my first impression but someone was there to help with one of few bags.

I booked a standard double room with ensuite. So when I walked into my room (201), I was pleasantly surprised by the size, and overall clean design of the room. The room was cleverly designed with a "fake window" that looked into an air well, giving the feel that it was not "just a room" with four walls. Unlike some 3 star hotels, there was plenty of cool bright light to illuminate the room.

As for the bathroom, the hot water was adequate and shower pressure was excellent. My only grouse was that the bathroom floor would be wet from the water dripping off the door of the shower cubicle when I opened it grab a towel. The upside is that this is a marked plus point over budget hotels that don't have a shower cubicle - rendering the whole bathroom floor wet whenever I take a shower.

Space-wise for the bathroom and shower area, it could get a little cramped for people with bigger build.

Best of all, being on the second floor, I didn't have to climb any more steps further than the reception. Also, I could never hear any noise from the reception area that could disturb my rest.

Service is generally good although I would have appreciated some help to bring my bags downstairs (and out to the main road) when I checked out. Unfortunately, no one was available because they were busy turning over our room for another guest.

Location wise, it is quite a walk from the Ben Thanh market. But the hotel is in the backpacker vicinity, so you will see more international travellers around the area, as well as international cuisines like mexican, indian, french cuisine served at the restaurants, alongside the usual Vietnamese roadside stall fare.

Cheap Laundry service can be found near the hotel if you explore 200m of the area. [Note: But remember that you need to buffer 24hours (before 11am) to get your laundry back. It is highly advisable to do an inventory of your clothing before sending it in as I've experienced laundry shops losing some of my items.]

Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Spoilt_Traveller
Reviewed 26 February 2010

My spouse, my elderly parents and I went to Saigon for a short trip, and before going, I was researching like mad for a good place to stay. All I heard about saigon before were bikes and noise and ..ahem, scams. So, anyway I decided on this hotel for the duration of our stay and I was glad for it.
The hotel is located at the tourist/ backpacker strip, Pham Ngu Lao.. but on the quiet end. So we got our full 8 hour sleep everyday, eventhough the hotel is at a back alley local market. I kinda like the location being right smack in the middle of a morning market (its not noisy at all) and there's always something to see. Lots of locals and what they sell (mostly fruit/ food) are cheaper than the bigger markets like Ben Thanh, etc.
Breakfast was very simple. Noodle soup or some form of ABF, a banana, juice and coffee/tea. Nothing fancy, not a buffet, but enough for us.
One thing to note: opposite the hotel is a shop selling whole coconuts for 6,000VND each. We bought so many that they already knew us by the second day!
The hotel is clean, very very clean and the staff were great, especially Vui, the guy at reception. Knowing that my parents were elderly, they were given a room at the 3rd floor (no lift avail.) and we were at the 5th floor. No complaints at all about the room. Good sized, clean showers, good water pressure too. My parents had a deluxe room and we had a superior. The difference was an extra small sink and counter top, in the deluxe. Amenities were enough but then again soap/shampoo of your own choice are easily accessible from the shops so no worries there.
The hotel has wifi in-room.. I used it to reply to another trip advisor forum on budget places to stay in Saigon, I recommended this hotel, yes, I was ThAt impressed!
Laundry was also done for us > 20,000VND per kilo. We could've gotten cheaper from the shops outside but this was convenient, they take our clothes, and give them back the next day, pressed and neat. Its still quite cheap!
All in all, a very good stay. We'll stay there again when we go to Saigon!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DeniseSim
Reviewed 18 February 2010

We stayed in this small hotel with my girlfriend for 4 days which was our introduction for Vietnam. When we arrived from the airport the taxi driver dropped off at the corner of the alley where the hotel is located in. The first time it was bit scary to get inside a dark alley where street vendors and local people sitting on the ground and doing their everyday job. But I can not emphasize strong enough how kind they are as we got known them in the forthcoming days. The hotel crew and the manager can be mentioned only with superlatives: very kind and helpful people during the day and the night as well. Few days later we realized how lucky we are as the hotel is not directly on the main street but as it is surrounded by other buildings in the block it's separated from the big street noise. The room and the entire hotel is VERY clean, the WiFi is really fast and the breakfast is OK. The rooms are furnished simply but with modern and comfortable way. The only thing to mention at the cons side is the lack of credit card terminal in the hotel.

Anyway A+++

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 February 2010

I stayed here in Dec. with my adult daughter, who spent 3 weeks here in Oct. It was my first night in SE Asia. I had never stayed in a room for $28 before, but since my daughter had stayed here, I put my trust in her. It was such a great place to stay. The management is quite accommodating. The hotel is very clean, which is most important to me. The rooms are modern, as the hotel is fairly new. The location is in the backpacker area, but down a small alley, so it is very quiet. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank dsw54
Reviewed 14 February 2010

Great value for money. Rooms are large...very,very clean and modern. Huge queensize beds. Staff very friendly. Had no problems booking on line.Would definitely stay there again. Highly Recommend!!!!
Have to take a narrow path to get there but worth it. Markets out front of hotel every morning from 5am - 12pm. Best Pho I tasted throughout my travel of Vietnam was at Cat Huy.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank birdsie22051
Reviewed 7 February 2010

I thought this hotel was wonderful. The rooms were very specious (I was on level 6) and very clean. The only fault would be that the curtains weren't very thick and when the sun rose every morning, it lit up my room and I had to get up (which isnt such a bad thing unless you had gone out the night before!).

The hotel staff were exceptional. They even taught me how to reload credit on my phone and to check my phone balance when I brought a VN simcard.

Breakfast was included with the rooms. Very simple but it helped on those days when you just wanted something to eat without thinking too much about it.

The hotel was very cetrally located and we were able to walk to everywhere we wanted to go. I would not have stayed anywhere else.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends