“Great location, nice quiet rooms”
Review of Catina Hotel

Catina Hotel
Ranked #108 of 454 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Canberra, Australia
“Great location, nice quiet rooms”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This is a good mid-priced hotel (in surprisingly expensive HCMC, $135/nt exc. breakfast is mid-priced) - my room was clean, spacious and elegant (without being particularly memorable) and the service was friendly and helpful (without being outstanding).
The main reason to choose this hotel is the location - it's in the middle of a posh frenchie neighbourhood, where the traffic is less insane than in other parts of the city, and where there are many elegant (if relatively pricy) shops, restuarants and bars (the rooftop bar at the Sheraton directly across the road is a must-see). You can walk to many of HCMC's attractions, but there's no reason to walk since cabs and motorbike-taxis are plentiful, cheap and (in my experience) reliable.
The thing I liked best about this hotel was the sound-proofing - in the windowless rooms (the cheapest rooms!) there is no road noise whatsoever, extremely rare in a country where drivers love to use their horns!
The only thing I really disliked about this hotel was the ridiculously over-priced airport transfer - firstly it took the hotel a long time to reply to my email requesting a transfer, then on departure (when I got a cab) I realised that I'd been charged 4 times the price of a cab ride!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank empress_cherry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Gig Harbor, Washington
Reviewed 2 March 2014

The Catina Hotel provided an affordable stay in a great location. It is in the center of District 1 just a block from the Opera House. The desk is located at the back of a jewelry store. The rooms and restaurant are on floors above. The rooms are nice. There is a breakfast buffet which has a small additional cost.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Boulder, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Got off my flight from the States and arrived at hotel at midnight with my girlfriend who lives in HCMC. They wouldn't let me stay because she is from Vietnam and demanded I purchase a 2nd room just for her. I told them no way and asked for a refund which they refused. Front desk clerk seemed like it was his pleasure to kick us out on the street and be completely unhelpful. Out of principle i would avoid this place.

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank manyroads88
CatinaSaigon, Guest Relations Manager at Catina Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear manyroads88,

Thank you for your comment about Catina Saigon hotel on TripAdvisor.

For your situation, we are pleased to explain that "Under Vietnamese law, a guest who is not a Vietnamese citizen cannot share a room with a Vietnamese citizen without proof of marriage to each other. Otherwise, a second room must be booked" - this information is public to all hotels in HCMC as well as in Vietnam. And we also public it on all online booking websites which you booked through.

Your booking is non-refundable, however, we have supported to refund the 2nd night for you.

I could be definitely sure that our colleague did the best in the most appropriate and sensitive manner to be at your service at the C/I date you came to Catina Saigon hotel.

Thank you for your kind understanding.

Sincerely.
Ryan Nguyen Pham (Mr.)
Assistant of Guest Service Manager
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Some reviews have mentioned that there was no window in the room but to me that was a plus, it meant zero traffic noise in the room or light early in the morning. The room was big and clean. Free wifi. Staff were friendly. Breakfast buffet was very nice and included with the room. The food in the restaurant was good as well. Nothing bad to say about the hotel. I had a neighbor blasting music at 7am one morning but that wasn't the hotel's fault. We stayed for 4 nights.

The price was great and I really enjoyed my stay in Saigon, wished I stayed longer.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Portland, OR
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I believe it is my own fault for keeping my noisy room, but after travelling for 3 weeks and moving around, I did not want to pack back up after I discovered this. I don't remember my room number, but I believe the issue was that it backed to a stair case. It sounded like people in high heels dancing above me and it kept up for most of the night.
As friendly as the staff was, I am certain that if I would have asked to move, I could have..

Otherwise, the location of this hotel is perfect. I had stayed at the Sheraton across the street for a few nights, and did not feel that this was much of step down in hotels- except for the lack of pool, bar, etc
I had a non-window room which was fine - after staying at other hotels and hearing the traffic all night, I think this is a good idea.

the bed was comfortable, the water hot, everything was clean

Room Tip: No window is not a problem, but evaluate for other noises- Stair Well very noisy!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Great value for the price. We stayed here for three nights almost kind of accidentally. We originally were only supposed to be here 1 night and then leave for Nha Trang in the morning but we hit a snag at immigration at the airport so we didn't get in until late. By then we were beat and decided to stay for 2 more nights. It was no issue with the front desk - they were able to extend our stay and moved us to a different room with no issue. As everyone else has noted, the real advantage is this hotel's central location to everything. There are lots of shops, restaurants, bars, and spas all within 5 min walk from here. The hotel itself is basic - clean, spacious room, wifi, etc. Also the daily breakfast buffet was included in our rate and it was satisfactory. Lots to choose from - they also will bring you eggs or an omelette of your choice if you ask. This is a perfect hotel if you are only staying in Saigon for a few nights and dont need luxury.

The only negative was that the room they moved us to was right above the restaurant I think and had kind of weird smell. We weren't in the room that much so it wasn't a huge issue but just a note of caution.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the rooms right above the restaurant bc of the smell.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Aalborg, Denmark
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I travelled on business to Vietnam and stayed at the Catina Saigon Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City. A typical boutique hotel, my stay was comfortable and pleasant. My room was spacious enough but it did not have a window. The bed was soft and cosy and I could rest well after a long day of meetings and presentations! I had an extra day before getting back home and decided to explore the city a little. Thanks to the strategic location of the Catina Saigon Hotel, I was able to visit most tourist attractions by foot. It is just minutes away from the Opera House and City Hall. The breakfast options were plenty and I enjoyed my meals. The staff was cordial and warm and were very accommodating.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple