“Romantic colonial manor”
Review of Villa Song Saigon

Villa Song Saigon
Ranked #2 of 468 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Gorgeous property set on the Saigon River with modern yet comfortable and Vietnamese style inspired rooms featuring all modern conveniences (they even had an Apple TV and Nespresso machine). We splurged and stayed in one if their suites which we upgraded for at check in and had our own private balcony overlooking the river where we enjoyed chilled morning leisurely breakfast watching the slow pace of the traditional boats and barges passing by. Combined with the great service, free mini bar and fun boat shuttle to the city center, and the residential/private exclusive feel that the hotel had this was a wonderful stay. They also have a small spa with good treatments and a very good restaurant serving Asian and international specialties. Loved the Tom Yam soup for light snack and the steamed Vietnamese rolls for breakfast.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dededu

Reviewed 8 May 2014

This hotel is not in the centre of Ho Chi Minh, but in the quiet upmarket suburb of district 2. It is a fairly short and cheap taxi ride to the centre or you can take the even quicker and cheaper trip to the centre if you use the hotel’s complimentary speed boat transfer

I stayed at this hotel on 3 separate occasions in three different suites. All were very roomy, light, well appointed and clean.

The hotel has a small gym and a large very private swimming pool. Meals are taken mainly outside in a garden facing the river.
I ate mainly breakfast and only occasionally lunch. All meals and food were very good.

The manager and all the staff we met were very personable, friendly and professional. I would particularly like to thank Tuyet on Reception who was so helpful, in every one of our various requests and queries.

I definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Stayed in a 3 different suites - all were different, all were very good.
1  Thank rjm50
Reviewed 8 May 2014

It's been 3 weeks and images of Villa Song kept flashing in my head, so much so that I feel compelled to share the mesmerising experience I spent in a lovely villa nestled amongst slender palm trees alongside the Saigon river. I remember when I first set eyes on the place. It was love at first sight, the arresting river view, the exquisite décor with tasteful furnishing from the elegant lampshades to the sofas and the original paintings. It feels like very single item has been individually handpicked and yet the whole ensemble seem so well harmonised.
If you love the exterior, wait till you walk into the guestrooms. The four poster bed with the delicate translucent nettings, the paintings that make you gaze at it for the longest time, huge bathrooms with aromatic toiletries, and the coolest looking bathmat that massages your feet so addictively you don't wanna step out of the shower.
And breakfast is simply divine. You can choose any a la carte item from the menu from eggs benedict and pancakes to local beef pho, they're cooked to perfection with the freshest ingredients and local herbs. The breads and croissants are all freshly baked and I have to mention the jams, they're so good that I overheard some guests requesting if these can be purchased to bring home !
In the evenings sipping a glass of wine or martini by the river, watching the boats go by, away from the hustle and bustle of city living, it not only feels like paradise, it actually is !
And when the skyline darkens one can enjoy the lovely moon and countless stars on the horizon whilst dining alfresco, and here again I enjoyed every savoury bite of the meals.
For activities one can soak for hours or swim in the fairly large-sized salt water pool which is unique unlike the chlorine-tainted ones in most hotel pools. I was also surprised to find a well-equipped gym which is a rare find in a villa setting.
To top it all I was overwhelmed by the service staff. They are warm and attentive yet not intrusive, striking the right balance to make you feel at home. On the day of my departure I can't help feeling a strong reluctance to leave, perhaps my stay was too short. The only consolation is my plan to return for a longer visit in a few months' time.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank KoonLian
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed here at the end of our Vietnamese tour and stayed in some great places but this was the cream of the crop. It's a great place to stay just outside of the city (about 150k VD by taxi) and a real haven of calm away from the chaos of Saigon.

We stayed in the Art Suite (203) which had a small sitting room, great bathroom, really comfortable bed and terrific balcony. I know it has only just been renovated but everything was spotless and really luxurious.

The restaurant was excellent with some really lovely local dishes for dinner and a great set of breakfast options.

The pool was great - we spent our last morning lazing here - and the pool was very refreshing - without being cold. We both had treatments in the small spa, an excellent massage and great facial. Nothing to complain about at all.

Overall I wouldn't hesitate to return next time I'm in Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City.

1  Thank In_Luxury
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

It's a boutique hotel and then some. The ambience in Villa Song Saigon is that of a mansion with many rooms. One feels blessed to be a resident of this quietly elegant, yet cosy and immensely comfortable space, even if only for a few days. The staff are easy-going and helpful, responding to requests promptly.

Minute attention to detail reminds you of home. Deep, well spung mattresses, soft cotton bedlinen, plush pillows of different sizes - a slightly firmer one to support your head and neck, and a bigger, softer one to hug. Sizeable rooms open out to serene river vistas or tranquil trees and a salt-water pool.

Little thoughtful touches abound. All drinks in the minibar are free. The phone trills as if delighted when it is picked up or put down. A long-handled shoe horn and shoe brush, shoe cream. A French coffee press for your personal use. Personal reading lights on both sides of the bed.

The free breakfast is ordered off the menu and served in the restaurant by the riverside, or in your personal garden or balcony if you prefer. A late riser, I asked anxiously, "What time does breakfast close?" Clara the manager's smiling response was, "It closes whenever you finish your breakfast, even if 2pm." Hallelujah!

Here and there around the hotel, you find nooks with comfortable chairs for reading or tete-a-tetes. One pair of stainless steel chairs looked so well proportioned I felt compelled to test them. Hello! Fits the body effortlessly. I later found out they are creations of the visionary designer Quasar Khanh, whom Philippe Starck admires. In fact, Villa Song itself is a de facto art gallery. Serenely thoughtful Vietnamese paintings hang everywhere, original works that are a far cry from the usual tourist prints. I was beginning to feel that my room rate was very, very good value.

Oh had I mentioned breakfast? I thought the eggs benedict were sublime, then I tasted the translucent Vietnamese rice rolls - so soft they disappear soon after you put them into your mouth. The pho is wholesome and delicately balanced. The tom yam pizza (not on the menu, ask for it) hits the spot. The coffee is deeply satisfying - an Illy sign outside the hotel leaves no doubt what kind is served (the vanilla-infused local coffee is also available and is good too). And I haven't even mentioned the wines...

Stayed: April 2014
4  Thank aliosbeybanti
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Upon arrival we were upgraded for our honeymoon which was a pleasant surprise. The elegant room combined with an amazing view was a great start to a memorable trip in Vietnam. The hotel pool was also super nice and rewarding after spending a day in heat. Furthermore, the hotel served good food and there was also a great restaurant immediately next door. Both with relaxing river side seating. I highly recommend staying here as you will not regret it.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Ccarlton
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I logged in to write a review of this excellent boutique hotel on the banks of the Mekong just a short boat ride (but longer taxi ride) from the centre of HCMC but I see that Charlie M has said exactly what I was going to. My only additional comment would be to question the rarity of the events next door.

Room Tip: The suite rooms are well worth it especially those on the third floor with a circular sitting room.
2  Thank t50