“Some of the best Vietnamese in Vietnam”
Review of An Vien Restaurant

An Vien Restaurant
Ranked #709 of 3,461 Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 1 January 2013

A truly excellent restaurant experience - our waiter was outstanding, advising us on our meals very well. The chicken in fish sauce entrée was excellent as was the pork in a clay pot and whole deep fried fish. Hard to find and it feels like you aren't going to the right place but well worth the effort as it is actually not too far from the city. The decor is very different to that which you will experience in the majority of expensive Vietnamese restaurants but fitting with our meals this restaurant is a great example of traditional Vietnamese done very well.

Reviewed 6 December 2012

I've been there a number of times. Located on a side alley off Hai Ba Trung, the restaurant is worth going to if only for its its old colonial architecture and interior decoration - a gem of a place with a very cosy "Indochine" feeling to it. Food is typical Vietnamese - nothing special - but it is the ambience that is a must.

1  Thank Peter T
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I have never experienced the Vietnamese restaurant which is better than An Vien.
Taste of canh chua ca loc may be the best in the town.
Interior is the best.
I always use this restaurant when I have customer from overseas.

Reviewed 11 June 2012

It's my 3 week in Ho Chi Minh and being with a Celebrity Chef ,it is a must to try new exciting restaurants .So when we were taken here by an Expat (8 years already in HCMC) we were both excited as the reviews were mostly excellent .It was Sunday night and our table of 3 seemed to be the full house...it was hard not to get it right.We were treated to Crab in Tamarind sauce ,followed by a Bar B Que pork dish with side order of Morning Glory .
Must admit - I will return for the Crab dish.
The restaurant lacked ambience and resembled my deacesed grandmothers living room.
I took a tour to the top floor ....some cool pieces of art ,but the lighting was so dim ,I barely saw the stairs!!
Pricey Food and lucky if they have the wine you choose .

Reviewed 5 May 2012

We were taken here as part of an Indo China tour. We enjoyed the food and service, it was excellent. It was a little too dark, making it a challenge to see your food. I believe it was originally a French Villa. It is a little way down a lane, so wouldn't have found it without being taken there. At the entrance to the lane is a very nice French cake shop.