“Food Poisening”

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 7 February 2014

Service was great, nice restaurant however not crowded and expensive however my husband and I both got food poisioning from that restaurant horrible experience. And we are still sick the next day could not leave the hotel the entire day so beware. So now we had to cut our excursions within HCM due to this experience.

3  Thank Linda Y

Reviewed 3 February 2014

As great places often are, An Vien is in a slightly out of the way sidestreet location. But the walk there to find it was worth it (look out for the Tous de Jour bakery on the corner) lovely food, charming traditional ambiance - with low lighting, antique furniture, high ceilings & gorgeous patterned tiled floors.

The spicy fish soup was delicious - and the so called "bloated pancakes" were a culinary highlight - tasting so much better than the slightly awkward translated description suggested. The prawn on sugar cane was very tasty and all the ingredients tasted super fresh. And the tea was also delicious - providing a cleansing finale.

Only two minor negatives 1. Despite being seated inside, my feet & ankles were savaged by mosquitos during the meal - if I went back I would wear some repellent and 2. The waiter opened a second bottle of wine for our table of four without asking. We finished both bottles easily but I felt it was a little presumptuous to continue filling our glasses and not to ask.

But overall a great experience. Recommended.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

We were taken to this restaurant for a set lunch by our guide and we were not disappointed. The service was courteous and not too overly attentive. The staff were there when we needed them but they did not hang around the table. Our meal was excellent and included some local foods such as lotus salad. The tea was also served with a lotus seed which was delicious. The restaurant was not easy to find but is well worth looking for.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

HCMC. is not short of good restaurants but An Vien has to be at the top. A little difficult to find as it is up a little alley off the main road but most taxi drivers can find it.Situated in an old two storey home full of antiques, beautifully decorated with a lovely ambience. You feel cared for from the moment you arrive and the service is efficient but gentle. The menu was extensive and exciting and though we had been eating Vietnamese food for two weeks, there were still pleasant surprises. Wine list was more than adequate.I ordered far too much food as the serves were very generous but it was a lovely experience a variety of such well cooked and presented food. Again the waiters showed their professionalism in their instructions on how to tackle the food and nothing was a problem.If you appreciate good food in a relaxing atmosphere, this restaurant is a MUST!

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Went there on the night we arrived and they accommodated us even though it was close to closing. This was my 3rd visit but my friend's first, and we both enjoyed the food thoroughly. The food, the setting, the service and the price is reasonable - you cannot fault this restaurant.