“not bad”
Review of Ly Ly Guesthouse

Ly Ly Guesthouse
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ho Chi Minh City
Ly Ly Guesthouse
Sydney, Australia
“not bad”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

nice clean quiet room with a/c, tv and fridge plus hot water..opt for the room with window..although staff doesnt speak much english, they are very helpful and accommodating..just feels a bit awkward coz they sleep in the reception area

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Toronto
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I booked thru hostelbookers. The bus from phonm penh lets off around the corner so follow their directions how to find the place thru the alleyways. I had a private room and was of a really nice standard much better than cambodia. Also the water is clean and some hot water too. Good cable package provided but no foreign news channels. This is a busy backpacker area but room is very quiet. There are lots of tour companies that will book your trips and exchange your money. These people did not seem to speak much english nor interested in trying to sell me tours so I just found a good english speaking agent outside instead. All the city sights can be done in a half days walking. Convenience store open 24 hours at the end of the alley but the hostel also sells 1.5L water bottles for 7000 VND which is cheaper than the convenience store. The family living room is the reception and they sleep there are night. They are not too chatty and sociable but a very comfortable and quiet stay. Free internet. No breakfast but everything is available outside.
Shower hook was broken, when I checked out the lady bolted up to my room to check it but I didnt wait to see if they said anything

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank LondonE7
Reviewed 4 April 2011

We stopped in here when a friendly old man offered us a room for $10. The room was decent (though lacking things like toilet paper and soap) and the staff was friendly throughout our stay. However, on checking out after 2 nights, the bill was $24. They stubbornly refused that they'd ever told us 10, locked the doors, yelled at us and held our passports until we paid them the extra $4.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Kds86

Travellers are raving about these Ho Chi Minh City hotels

Shenzhen, China
Reviewed 16 October 2010

I moved here from Beautiful Saigon. I went from $25/night to $12/night..Granted this is not as nice as Beautiful Saigon but perfectly adequate. In fact, the room at half the price was twice the size. The personal attention is not as personalized here but still adequate.

Ly Ly is clean, quiet, and I think very good value.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Wolverhampton
Reviewed 20 August 2010

I had no problems with Ly Ly. I stayed for a month and found it was your bog standard guesthouse.
It was clean (and cleaned everyday), airy and light. I got a fresh towel everyday and fresh sheets every 2/3 days. The bathroom was clean and more spacious compared to previous accommodation. The beds are on the hard side but they are, no matter where you go (unless your in a 3+ star hotel). There’s a fridge and TV in all rooms, however, if you have one of the front rooms you do not get a wardrobe.
There is no lift but then, that's the norm if you’re paying $14 a night. Another normal thing is turning the electric off by the fuse when you’re out. I didn't have a problem with this, you just have to remember to turn it back on at the box at the bottom of the stairs before you go up.
The only 'pest' I found in my room was a tiny lizard. Breakfast isn't included in most guesthouses, however there's a restaurant on the same street called Chi Cafe which has a varied breakfast menu at reasonable prices.
The staff were friendly and the guy (forgotten his name!) could speak a reasonable amount of english and will help you take your suitcase to your room. They also arrange a laundry service which surprised me (they don’t personally do it), you pay around 20,000 ($1/70p) depending how much you need doing. They also have a agent situated at the front of the hotel (he rents the space) who sells tours and/or transport to the Chu Chi tunnels, Mekong Delta, Mui Ne etc, he is friendly and very helpful. I found if you ask nicely you can check your emails if he’s not using the computer.
All in all I found the place pleasant and in an ideal location.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
United States
Reviewed 27 January 2010

I stayed at Ly Ly Guesthouse for a month from mid November 2009 to mid December 2009. While it wasn’t bad, I wouldn’t recommend staying here mostly because of the staff.

However, the location is excellent. It is located on 40/2 Bui Vien Street in District 1, which is the backpacker’s district. There are literally a MILLION things right outside your door from restaurants to bars to shops etc. I used the laundry shop (that had a big Kodak sign) on Pham Ngu Lao Street that was pretty good. I also recommend eating at Huong Viet Restaurant which I did a separate review on! The big supermarket (The Coop) is about a 10 minute walk away but literally has EVERYTHING you might need.

The guesthouse has about 10 rooms which are in decent condition. There are two twin beds (hard as a rock), two chairs, a table, closet, refrigerator (a plus) and bathroom with sink, western toilet and a shower house in the middle. If you can, ask for a room that ends in an even number as it would be on the back side of the hostel and not on the street. There is no elevator or lift so if you are on the top floor (like I was) the stairs can get old! They also shut off your power when you leave and there were numerous times when I would come back, climb all the stairs only to realized they never put it back on so I would have to turn around go back down and tell them again! The rooms also had a LOT of ants (regardless if you had food or not) in the bathroom, room AND beds (not ok).

The main problem I had was with the staff. They didn’t speak any English and were always trying to rip me off. I felt like if I am staying there they should be helping me. But, the last straw was when I was leaving and they helped me get a taxi to the airport and DOUBLE the price and pocket the other half (I saw the woman do this). Granted I should have known better than to pay her upfront, I honestly thought since I stayed there for a month she would HELP me.

Also, breakfast is not included (there is nowhere to eat) and they say they have wireless but it is stolen from other places and isn’t reliable.

Again while it wasn’t awful, there are PLENTLY other options so please don’t waste your time or money.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo