“OK for a few days .”

Bong Sen Hotel Saigon
Ranked #123 of 466 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Nice location and an excellent breakfast buffet for 3/4 star hotel . Location is good , right in the centre of town , not far from the sights and the night market etc . Although one of the downsides of being in the centre , is that locals are usually in your face around the hotel , trying to get you to offload your cash . The breakfast buffet is good . The staff are what you expect for that type of hotel ,fairly friendly , English ability average and average when it comes to customer service ..Room was Ok , but no view ( only of the fire escape ) , flush and shower didnt work properly either , We were there for only three days , to go on a tour and explore the city . For me , I wouldnt want to stay in this particular hotel or city for longer than that .

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chudds32

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I stayed one night here in transit to the airport. I have stayed at many 3 star hotels, and this is about a 5/10 for 3 stars. There are better ones, but the location and price are really good. I just used the hotel as a one night moving on place. I don't think an extended stay would be in the best interest as it is so plain. I did not try the breakfast, but it looked good. Again, this is sort of a " it is what it is" kind of place. So bashing it is not fair. The staff are friendly, and the rooms were clean, although small and plain.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank traveldog95
Reviewed 26 January 2014

This is the 2nd time we have come to HCM and we have stayed in a different hotel previously. I Wouldn't recommend this hotel to any of my friends and family. Rooms are really small and the bathroom is really small and very old looking as well. Location wise is not that great either as you can stay in other hotels which are closer to for eg. Ben Thanh Market and Saigon Centre.
The staff were nice and friendly and reception can speak good english as well. No problems with staff. We were rather unlucky because we received a room were our view was aircon generators and all we could hear every night was the operating generators! Very noisy!

Room Tip: Suggest a room with a view and not a view of aircon generators!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Very well-positioned hotel in the heart of the action on Dong Khoi, surrounded by good shops and restaurants. Pleasant quiet rooms (though some with no windows) and an excellent buffet breakfast with a large array of Asian and Western food. Helpful staff. Recommended.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Pros:
1. Great Location
2. Decent Price

Cons:
1. Blood Stain on bed
2. Wifi broken 75% of the time
3. Doormen were less than helpful
4. Toilet worked exactly 50% of the time (you had to flush twice every time)

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mike L
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I stayed here recently during a business trip to Ho Chi Minh. The location of the hotel is really ideal as it is in the main area in District 1 opposite Sheraton Hotel.

The lobby area is not to large but sufficient for a 3 star hotel. The re are rooms with and without window, so if you prefer a view do request for a room with a view.

The check-in was done quite promptly. The room size is quite large but overall it is clean. The room with a view includes a balcony which is quite nice as you can get a view of the street from your room. However soon the hotel will probably need to refurbish their carper which is getting a bit aged.

Breakfast is at the restaurant on the ground floor and has quite a good variety considering this is a 3 star hotel. There is a fruit counter, noodles/egg station, variety of breads and daily selected items of Asian dishes.

Overall it was a comfortable stay and the best thing is the location which is surrounded by many restaurants and cafes.

Room Tip: If you prefer a room with a window make sure to request in advance.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

I stay in the Bong Sen hotel after 10 days in Nha Trang. What a welcomed relief it was to be back in the hustle and bustle of Ho Chi Minh city. Despite the busy road outside our room was quiet and serene to the point that I forgot the busyness of the outside.

The reception staff were very competent and welcoming. Of all the hotels I stayed at on this visit to Vietnam. Bong sen's staff had the best standard of English.

I was delighted to have booked two nights at Bong Sen for just £73 including breakfast for a family of four! I must add that my children were free of charge as they are 5 and 3 years of age and we all slept in the same bed ( king size, which was more than adequate for all of us!).

Breakfast was good with a wide choice. Again I found the waiting staff to be professional and provided a high standard of service. What I suggest not to be missed is the buffet lunch. The charge is 210 Vietnamese dong per person (including service charge)which is approximately £7.00. There was a huge variety to chose from and the food was excellent. In addition to my lovely dining experience at the Bong sen lunch buffet, both my children eat for free, whereas there was a charge at the Sheraton in Nha.

Bong Sen hotel also exuded for me a sense of relaxed ease, in opposition to the busy city. I liked the staff's uniform and the interior decoration of the lobby. However, I must add that the bathroom needs a renovation, bluish green bathroom suite is not what I call in vogue. Despite this, I loved the boutique feel of the establishment.

A major plus point of the hotel is its location. We were able to walk to and fro to Ben thanh market with children in tow.I very much enjoyed the bargaining, and you must bargain well, as prices were sky high. We paid half price for several items that was originally quoted twice the value.

What I was disappointed by which doesn't have much to do with the hotel is the taxi drivers parked outside the hotel. On two separate occasion we had bad experiences. On the first occasion we wanted to go to Ben Thanh market which should only cost 30-40 Vietnamese dong (=£1.20). However, as soon as we got into the taxi, the driver was so aggressive with selling us journeys to various tours we got rather stressed. On this occasion we accepted going to a different market tripling the taxi's fare to 120 vnd. He persuaded us by saying the Ben Thanh is a very expensive market and is a tourist trap, we will be charged much higher prices there. This I have read so agreed to go to market he suggested and see it as an adventure.Upon arrival the market was dirty and clearly not a lovely market to wander around with two children. It was clearly a market for business where people go to buy in bulk and stock up their stalls. Not a market to buy souvenirs! We felt rather foolish by agreeing to go there. 5 minutes was enough for us and we took another taxi back to the hotel to recover from being conned by a taxi driver!

I suggest the Bong Sen management to have a system in place like the Novotel Saigon Center, where there is a hotel staff managing the taxi rank. At the Novotel, a member of staff escorts us to a taxi, gives us a small form with the taxi driver's number, and if we have any complaints about the driver we have the form as proof that we have taken a journey with the driver. I won't bore you with the second bad experience with a taxi driver. We asked a member of staff to call us a taxi to the airport on the morning of our departure rather than use one of the waiting taxis outside the hotel. Well recommended to do this. We had a pleasant journey in an air conditioned car and no 'bull*hit' from the driver.

Finally, a downside to Bong Sen is no swimming pool. Otherwise I would highly recommend this hotel as a value for money 4 star hotel with good staff with a lovely boutique atmosphere. I will definitely be returning for a second stay.

Nu Cullen.