“Worst hotel I have ever stayed in my life................”

Hoang Phu Gia Hotel
Ranked #182 of 458 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed 29 November 2011

We were recommended this hotel by our company's agent for our annual company's holiday of 4 days 3 nights. I had many complaints of this hotel not only from myself but also my other colleagues. The very 1st complaint was that the room which I stayed had a lot of coakroaches from the TV rack, bathroom and cupboard. When I checked into the room 702, I hv discovered one or two small little coakcroaches which I thought was normal. However, after we went out for our dinner and came back, I saw more than some little cockroaches crawling out fm nowhere and hv complained to the reception the next morning. Thinking they will hv a thorough cleaning of the room but to my disappoinment more coakroaches were seen crawling in the cupboard, TV rack, under the bed and in the bathroom. I immediately went to the reception and request the night shfit Manager to change my room but he refused and told me he will get his housekeeping service to attend to my room.. What they did was to just spray the insecticide which I thought was unhealthy as we were going to sleep in the room for the night. So the next morning, I went over to the reception counter again, only to be greeted by the same Manager and has rejected to change the room for me. However, after my breakfast, I went to put up the same request with another staff of theirs and she readily agreed to change the room and it was immediate. So, this is the attitude of the staff problem, no doubt not all their staff were rude, there were a couple of rude staff. Another complaint was they knew that guests are staying the the room yet they choose to take out the shower curtain for washing without replacing one. One of my colleagues had faced this problem. When he confronted the same Manager why no shower curtain, he just said housekeeping had sent for washing and apologised for it without taking action to replace one immediately. The third complaint was that upon checking out, they claimed that we have spoilt one wooden hanger in one of our rooms and insisted to charge us USD 1. We do not know if this hanger was already spoilt before we checked in. Their housekeeping also did not replenish the shower foam in one of my colleagues' room and she has to request for it. Last but not lest, the noise pollution caused by the building next to them was unbearable. If the rooms were located near to the road side then you will expect some pollution caused by the traffic outside. Overall, I will not recommend this hotel to anyone considering to stay there. It's the worst hotel I have ever stayed so far.

Room Tip: If u really want to stay in this hotel, avoid room 701 and 702 (coakcroaches). Do not choose the ro...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Iristriss
There are newer reviews for Hoang Phu Gia Hotel

Reviewed 17 November 2011

We only stayed here because of the deceitful underhand tactics of the sister hotel Elegant Hotel (see post). Initial thoughts were that hotel and room were Ok and actually closer to town than Elegant. However construction work was being done in hotel next door, literally adjacent to the room we were given. We rang reception multiple times and they told us that there should be noise only between certain times and had asked the workers to stop, but they didn't. There was banging and hammering as early as 7:30 in the morning, so after 18 hrs travelling the previous day, it was the last thing we needed. We asked to move rooms but reception said that the same noise could be heard throughout the hotel. After more complaining and literally sitting in reception with our bags, a room magically appeared. It was an upgraded room with very little construction noise, so much happier. Obviously noise will not always be there, but the general underhand and deceitful tactics of this hotel and it's sister Elegant hotel, would not recommend staying at either. Much better hotels for the same price. We later stayed at Tan Hai Long 3 and was really impressed.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed 7 November 2011

We used this hotel on our photo tour through Indochina (www.mphototours.com) and would stay here again without hesitation.

Location is great, staff was very helpful, rooms were clean, nice sized and came with all the western amenities one normally uses. A/C was quiet and effective.

Hotel has a large reception area that we used for a review session and the staff was attentive to serve us drinks (soft, beer, other).

There is an HSBC ATM next door which can come in handy if you need cash.

I plan on using this hotel for our trip next year!

Room Tip: Book on-line.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Our first impression was not good - we called the hotel a couple of days before to push our itinerary a day back, they confirmed the dates had been changed. However upon arrival we were told that they had no record of the date change and had to pay the $25 no show fee. After much argument the manager came out, said that they had no physical evidence and basically implied that we were lying. To be honest we were more concerned about the principles than the $25, and only after making them call our hotel in Hue confirming that we did make a call 2 days ago did they believe us, and all was well.

Room and reception were trendy and breakfast was good, just a shame that the service isn't quite there to match. We didn't get very helpful advice when asking if there were any recommended restaurants nearby (response was "go that way"). There are in fact lots of good restaurants nearby, but for the main museums and attractions you will have to take a taxi.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2011

N10°46'19.57" E106°41'26.21" We stayed several nights in September 2010 in this hotel near the Tao Dan park in District 1. This modern hotel looks fine from the outside. Modern room, good bed, trendy bathroom, good continental and Vietnamese breakfast and free internet in the lobby. Nothing to worry about, until you meet the staff at the reception. Their inexperience and inadequate command of the English language resulted in a big problem: they forgot to give us a fax with new instruction, so we missed our tour guide for the next day. Sorry said the hotel manager after several phone calls to clear up his own mesh. Adding insult to injury, the hotel manager charged us his phone calls. Inadequate service attitude was our verdict.
We left for the Mekong Delta and returned after a week for one night to this hotel before taking the night plane home. Staff immediately greeted us. The next morning we left for the Chu Chi tunnels (the missed tour), which we crawled on our knees. Returning to the hotel we picked up our luggage. We didn’t have a dayroom, but asked for a shower before the 18-hour flight. They offered us a separate shower for free, which we enjoyed very much. And our fellow passengers during the flight home too! Nice recovery, Hoang Phu Gia hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 June 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights at the end of May 2011. We noticed straight away that the hotel was used by large tourgroups as their hotel of choice, so the lobby and breakfast area was always full and noisy. The hotel room itself was nice, we were given a VIP room. The breakfast was not great. The location is not in the centre of town, its about a 10 minute walk to the markets and further to the main Dong Khoi area. The staff were very helpful though, but I would rather stay closer to the main city life. There is a good fish massage place that is super cheap across the road to the left and a large supermarket at the end of the road.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2011

My family and friends stayed here last May 27-31, 2011 and it was very good. I booked our rooms via agoda.com which is cheaper than the hotel offer on the website (which was good). I booked 3 superior rooms and requested twin beds with windows. The rooms we stayed in was 903-905. In addition, I requested for a car from the hotel to pick us up from the airport since we were going to arrive 1:00am, which they provided with additional fee. They were nice to give us a discount. The rooms was spacious for us and it was very clean. I always want to make sure that the bathroom/toilet is clean which is good. What you see on the pictures from their hotel website or from agoda.com is what you get. No fuss. The hotel is located near other hotels which is good and a lot of tall trees. The place is not scary even if you come back late at night.

The staff were very nice and helpful. I didn't have a hard time asking them for directions, or helping us book our tours and so on. We even asked for advice with regards to prices for some novelty and souvenir items. Of course language is still a barrier but we did come to an understanding which was good.

In the morning, we had a buffet breakfast. They serve Vietnamese and Western style food. I enjoyed eating the baguettes provided with butter and jam, the pho, seafood fried rice and shrimp sticks. All in all, the food was good. I'm going to miss it a lot.

For shoppers, Ben Than Market and Saigon Square is a few meters away from the hotel. You can walk from the hotel which is not far away. Just remember to bargain and haggle!

Remember, before you go out, take a calling card from the hotel which shows the location and you can show it to the taxi driver where to bring you back.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family