“Excellent hotel, reasonable priced, good location”

Hoang Phu Gia Hotel
Ranked #185 of 457 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand
“Excellent hotel, reasonable priced, good location”
Reviewed 30 September 2012

In the middle of the center of Saigon, not far away from some attractions. Luckyly outside the backpacker area (but not to far if you like this). The reception staff is friendly and helpfull. One disadvantage, the breakfast is also served in the lobby area. If there are many tourist, and if they have breakfast around the same time, then its to crowded. One elevator is also a disadvantage. But the rooms are good (value for money), bathrooms are sufficient. For sure I will come back to this hotel. Actually the breakfast was more than good.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed 17 May 2012 via mobile

Hotel is reasonably clean and big. There are ants in the room. Bath room come with basic necessities like toothbrush with toothpaste, comb, shower gel , shampoo , soap , shower cap and cotton bud.
Come with bath tub. Front test staff are not so friendly and knowledgeable. The TV is still those old model not LCD.
Twin sharing have one queen size bed and one single bed.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Phinys
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I stayed in a VIP room which provided a large living/sleeping area with comfortable bed and nice lighting, separate annex with computer, and a good-sized bathroom with bath (hot water wasn't so good though).The room itself was pretty noisy, with no double-glazing and thin walls - in April 2012 there was also a construction site directly next door. There were a few small roaches in the bathroom at night - nothing too horrible, but avoid if you are afraid of bugs!

Staff were competent but not overly friendly; breakfast was ok with pho, egg station, breads, fruit, rice. Because of the large tour groups that seem to frequent there, the breakfast supplies began to run out pretty early (before 8am) - breakfast service finished at 9.30am.

There are a few decent restaurants in the area. The Ben Thanh area is a good district if you want to be away from the backpacker crowd, but if you are looking for plenty of nightlife and restaurants I suggest you stay in the Pham Ngu Lao area.

Note that the hotel charges $25 dollars for airport pick-up (which is about 7-10 $US in a taxi). This is my 3rd time in Ho Chi Minh city (twice with a friend, once travelling solo), and I have never had a problem with the good taxi firms - Mai Linh and Vina Sun - as with any country, just make sure the meter is turned on when you get in.

Overall - the hotel was pretty average - not bad, not great...and you might do better elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Brunswick, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 19 January 2012

This was my friend Kristie and I's first stop in Vietnam and we were very happy with the service and standard of the accommodation overall. Being our first time in Vietnam, the experience of getting a taxi at HCMC airport into the city overwhelmed me slightly and it was lovely to step into this place and have the staff be immediately friendly and ready to welcome us - and we arrived quite late at night. Location was a big plus - we were within easy walking distance of the War Museum, Water Puppets (a must!), Ben Thanh market, a number of pretty gardens and pagodas, and the main nightlife strip. The staff were also very helpful in directing us around Saigon and organising tickets for the Water Puppets and our booking for a Mekong Delta tour, which we loved and had a fabulous guide for - wish we had taken his name! Even the guy who with a cart outside the shop opposite was hilarious! My friend Kristie's only complaint was that it didn't have a pool but we were out and about so much it didn't really matter. Would recommend.

Memo: we actually stayed in early January 2011, it's just taken me a while to get around to posting and Trip Advisor won't let me go back that far.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank MeghanB85
Kuching, Malaysia
Reviewed 21 December 2011

Clean, comfortable, in the centre of the city and fantastic pineapple jam! Though i must say they should try to improve the duvet. The duvet a bit worn out and I strongly think can do without the bath tub which can be quite dangerously when trying to get into shower especially with young children.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 29 November 2011

We were recommended this hotel by our company's agent for our annual company's holiday of 4 days 3 nights. I had many complaints of this hotel not only from myself but also my other colleagues. The very 1st complaint was that the room which I stayed had a lot of coakroaches from the TV rack, bathroom and cupboard. When I checked into the room 702, I hv discovered one or two small little coakcroaches which I thought was normal. However, after we went out for our dinner and came back, I saw more than some little cockroaches crawling out fm nowhere and hv complained to the reception the next morning. Thinking they will hv a thorough cleaning of the room but to my disappoinment more coakroaches were seen crawling in the cupboard, TV rack, under the bed and in the bathroom. I immediately went to the reception and request the night shfit Manager to change my room but he refused and told me he will get his housekeeping service to attend to my room.. What they did was to just spray the insecticide which I thought was unhealthy as we were going to sleep in the room for the night. So the next morning, I went over to the reception counter again, only to be greeted by the same Manager and has rejected to change the room for me. However, after my breakfast, I went to put up the same request with another staff of theirs and she readily agreed to change the room and it was immediate. So, this is the attitude of the staff problem, no doubt not all their staff were rude, there were a couple of rude staff. Another complaint was they knew that guests are staying the the room yet they choose to take out the shower curtain for washing without replacing one. One of my colleagues had faced this problem. When he confronted the same Manager why no shower curtain, he just said housekeeping had sent for washing and apologised for it without taking action to replace one immediately. The third complaint was that upon checking out, they claimed that we have spoilt one wooden hanger in one of our rooms and insisted to charge us USD 1. We do not know if this hanger was already spoilt before we checked in. Their housekeeping also did not replenish the shower foam in one of my colleagues' room and she has to request for it. Last but not lest, the noise pollution caused by the building next to them was unbearable. If the rooms were located near to the road side then you will expect some pollution caused by the traffic outside. Overall, I will not recommend this hotel to anyone considering to stay there. It's the worst hotel I have ever stayed so far.

Room Tip: If u really want to stay in this hotel, avoid room 701 and 702 (coakcroaches). Do not choose the ro...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Iristriss

Travellers are raving about these Ho Chi Minh City hotels

London, England
Reviewed 17 November 2011

We only stayed here because of the deceitful underhand tactics of the sister hotel Elegant Hotel (see post). Initial thoughts were that hotel and room were Ok and actually closer to town than Elegant. However construction work was being done in hotel next door, literally adjacent to the room we were given. We rang reception multiple times and they told us that there should be noise only between certain times and had asked the workers to stop, but they didn't. There was banging and hammering as early as 7:30 in the morning, so after 18 hrs travelling the previous day, it was the last thing we needed. We asked to move rooms but reception said that the same noise could be heard throughout the hotel. After more complaining and literally sitting in reception with our bags, a room magically appeared. It was an upgraded room with very little construction noise, so much happier. Obviously noise will not always be there, but the general underhand and deceitful tactics of this hotel and it's sister Elegant hotel, would not recommend staying at either. Much better hotels for the same price. We later stayed at Tan Hai Long 3 and was really impressed.

• Stayed November 2011