“Nice hotel in a great location”

Golden Central Hotel
Ranked #87 of 458 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Stayed here for 6 nights in July. The hotel was nothing amazing but was in an excellent location. The hotel was clean and the staff were very helpful and friendly. The pool is quite small but is refreshing on a hot day, however I believe you do pay that bit extra for the pool. Only used it once so was not very useful. overall enjoyed the hotel and had/have no complaints about my stay or the staff.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Golden Central Hotel

Reviewed 3 August 2011

With its 17 floors, this relatively new 4-star hotel with 132 rooms is the highest hotel in the city. It is located just in the city center, very close to the famous Ben Thanh market. Its clean, elegant rooms with an excellent view are cheaper than in the known 4-star hotels in the exclusive area around the Opera House. During my total stay of 16 days in this hotel in March and April 2011, I had a very good opportunity to learn the very friendly and helpful hotel employees, particularly in the reception and the hotel restaurant . The restaurant , located on the highest two floors, has an excellent breakfast buffet with a variety of delicious meals and fruits. It is open already at 6 a.m, closing relatively early at 9:30 a.m. From the restaurant you have a good view of the whole city. A nice swimming pool at the highest floor is relatively small but it has been no problem because I had it always only for me, never meeting another guests in the pool.
When I, just on my first day in the city, became a victim of a criminal gang who stole all my cash money and forced me to withdraw another large amounts using my credit cards, a hotel employee, speaking English, accompanied me to the nearest police ward and from there to the police headquarters. Together with me he was confronted with the
extreme arrogant behavior of the not English speaking police officers at the both places.
There have been only few negative experiences in the hotel. The most serious is the noise of the elevators which can be very disturbing during the night for guests in the rooms located close to the elevator shafts. The rooms with two comfortable beds are relatively small but this has not been a problem for me, travelling alone. The illumination of the area of the lobby where two P.C.'s are located for a free use by the guests is unsufficient and must be improved. I found also that the tours offered by the very friendly and good English speaking girls at the tour desk close to the reception were very expensive. I realized it when I discovered that the same tours, booked in a small hotel around the corner did cost a fracture of the offered price.

Room Tip: When booking, ask a room on a high floor, not close by the elevators
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We recently stayed in this hotel after reading some great reviews on it! We were a bit disappointed. The rooms themselves were very nice, however after booking adjoining rooms we did not receive them. This did not cause a problem, (as our kids are teenagers) until check out! But first breakfast. Breakfast is served upstairs on the top floor restaurant so the views are brilliant. However, the selection was very poor!. Two choices of juice (not fresh obviously like a cordial) they did cook eggs for you but not much choice. Cold tea sitting in the pot. It is a shame because the outlook is lovely. The hotel is air conditioned, even though the kids room took a while to cool down. Our drama happened on check out. We could not get a late check out from our rooms without paying. So we decided we would check out of the kids room, pay the extra charge (half price room rate) and stay in our room as our plane did not leave until 8pm. We were organised and ready to leave the hotel at 6pm as we had been told there would be a bit of traffic. (the airport is very close to the city). We organised a cab and the children and I jumped in while my husband finished the check out. After ten minutes of waiting in the cab, I could wait no longer. Went back into the hotel to find that we had to wait for them to check our rooms on check out! They had called back down to reception to tell them that apparently their was a bath robe missing! I immediately knew that my daughter had taken one of the bathrobes to their room, which we had already checked out of. Of course no one on staff had reported that they had an extra bathrobe on cleaning that room! We then had to wait another 5 mins while they called the cleaning staff at home to confirm that we had not indeed stolen the bathrobe! My husband did offer a bag search, but no we had to wait! I do not have a problem with the fact that they had something missing, but why do they have no details of when things are left in another room. We had been at the hotel for another 6 hours since checking out of the childrens room and no attempt was made to contact us re the fact that there was an xtra bathrobe in that room. This left a bitter taste in our mouth. Thank god we caught our plane!! Otherwise a lovely trip to Vietnam!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Most staff speak English. Good location. 5mins walk to Ben Thern Market and yet away from the noise from the market...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Disappointed stay in this '4-star hotel". at arrival early in the morning , our rooms were ready and available, but we had to pay half day price for the extra hours in the morning. Are they giving moneyback when you leave before noon, i don't think so. In the room long list with prices of all the articles in the room (so you should check before if all the items are there..) saw at the reception young couple who had to pay 5 Dollar! for a plastic cloth hanger. Very poor reception tv's No bath in the bathroom only shower even in th deluxe roomVery small swimmingpool. Very poor roomservice, after 10 the cook went home.....No cheese available at treakfast buffet , nor for items with cheese on teh menu. Very arrogant people at the reception, but nice staff in the hotel self, but they had to work with all the stupid rules. would not advise to go here, only location

Room Tip: ask for higher floors otherwise very poor view, better choose other hotel
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Eylv
Reviewed 18 July 2011

Overall, the stay was good, but were highly disappointed with some things. For the price we paid at approx $82USD per night for a standard room, we expected a lot more.

The room was TINY, if you have more than 1 suitcase you will struggle to find space. The most annoying and irritating thing was the taps in the bathroom - it is automatic. I have only come across automatic taps in toilets and restrooms but never in hotel rooms. The idea is great, but the practicality of it doesn't work if you need to do more than just wash hands. It is completely automatic and you have to wave you hands under it about 30 times just to splash water to wash your face. There is no other way to keep the taps running. At the same time, the water pressure is very high - it splashes everywhere.

The top floor restaurant is great because it has nice views of the city - but very pricey for dinner etc. Expect to pay 'normal' price for a meal eg $30USD for a steak dish.

The breakfast has a good selection, I do look forward to that when I wake up. It is also on the top floor with nice views.

Staff were helpful and friendly, had no problems with them. But don't book your tours at the tour desk it is very pricey. I guess that goes for all hotels that help you to book tours. eg Cu Chi tunnels are less than half the price elsewhere.

I probably would not go back to stay at Golden Central for the two reasons above - tiny room and irritating taps.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Stayed here three nights and having seen quite a lot of hotels during our stay in Vietnam the Golden Central schould have only 2 stars instead of 4! Rooms are quite clean though and the view was very good from our room in the 6th floor, but when looking closer you find hairs on the fresh bed laundry and ugly marks in the shower...

It is simply overpriced as one earlier commenter already said. Simple coke around 3$ and a national phone call is .40$/min. I don't want to know what other services cost.

What annoyed me most was the constant noise. Not from the city, as window isolation was very good but from room neigbours: it seems to be very popular for rich Vietnamese families with children - shouting and screeming until late night and starting again early in the morning. The fridge was loud too and everytime it started or stopped it made a short contact with one of the lamps in our room, so it made a short flash.

Speaking of the room: the bathroom was quite nice with one big failure: automatic on/off sensor for the taps - you feel like in a public bathroom.

Summary: invest 25$ more and you feel at home in one of the real 5 stars in Saigon!

• Stayed: July 2011