“A very comfortable stay right in the heart of the backpacker area!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kim Ngan Guesthouse

Kim Ngan Guesthouse
Kim Ngan Guesthouse
Ranked #166 of 825 Ho Chi Minh City B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“A very comfortable stay right in the heart of the backpacker area!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2012

This is a little gem if your looking for decent backpacker accomodation. The owner Kim is adorable and very friendly, nothing is too much trouble. She is always cleaning!!! The room is basic but comfortable with excellent AC and good tv channels. We also had two fans!!! Light in the room is good with two large windows and a door which opens up on to a private balcony. The bathroom is good too. CLEAN, well maintained and a VERY decent shower!!!
The guesthouse is located down a little alley but it is within literally 2-3 minutes walk of Bui Vien strip where you'll find all the bars, restaurants and shops you need.
Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2012

I was met at the bus stop by the owners brother and at first was not sure if I should go to see this guest house. Was I glad I did !!! Turned out to be the greatest. Spotless !! You could eat off the floors. Not the easyest place to find but beleive me its well worth it. Has A/C , Fans, ensuite, balcony and satalite TV. Kim is a very nice lady, very helpful and kind. Its 5 star as far as I am concerned. Great central location, in the middle of all the action.
Brian
Scotland

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2012

At first I was reluctant when the owner met our bus unsolicited. But this ended up being one of the nicer places I stayed in Vietnam. Clean, comfortable, and wifi.

When the wifi was down, it was easy enough to hop on a neighbor's wifi spot temporarily. 90% of the wifi in Saigon seems to use some variation of 1-0, 1-8, 0-9, etc. as a password.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2011

I absolutely adored staying at Kim Ngan's Guesthouse. The owner, Kim is wonderfully friendly, and would make me hot drinks all throughout the day. The entire family were lovely. They were incredibly polite, even when they had to change my room, and the rooms itself were extremely clean, spacious with cable TV. The guesthouse is located right in the heart of Saigon, with amenities right on the doorstep, yet just shys away from the noisiness in a more residential side of the road. Never had any problems with valuables being taken, just always kept them on me. Would still recommend it!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2011

Had it not been for the ROBBERY at 3:55 am in my room while I was sleeping (noise waking me) to see a man standing in the bed holding my laptop (apple), purse (with all my money, credit cards, phone(BB), work recorder, memory disc., and passport preparing to climb out of the window ... !!! I might have mostly great things to say about this guesthouse.

Kim, as nice as she is, warned me when I got there to keep the windows locked when NOT in the room during the day. She NEVER warned me to keep them closed and locked at night when I was sleeping! She NEVER told me to lock up my laptop etc. while sleeping at night! And afterward she adamantly refused any assistance with any part of my lose! Stating that she had warned me! This was an outright lie on her part and for this I am sorry our relationship that started out great turned sour. She further stated I should not contact the police, but after my insistence, asked her brother to escort me to the police. As helpful as her brother appeared, he refused to translate my full conversation to the police.

OK enough of being ROBBED at this guesthouse.
Sleeping was difficult with the noisy activity outside, and the next door neighbor 3 dogs that constantly barked. (which did not stop the robbery)
Later I came to understand the intense fear Kim informed me they lived under in this neighborhood. For this I am sorry for her and her family. I just wish I had known this before I booked a guesthouse in this area.

While this location is great, if you book a guesthouse just the other side of the park, you will find it much more safe, secure and quiet.

Room Tip: If you must book here .. MAYBE the top floor!
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank MaineCaninelover
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2011

I've stayed here many times and the owner has always been very friendly and helpful. The owner has looked after some presents I accumulated whilst I travelled around Vietnam before returning to Saigon.Before I returned home this time I left a considerable amount of money with the owner for a friend to collect(which she has done) so the review doubting the honesty of the owner is well misplaced. It is a well run establishment and I would thoroughly recommend a visit.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2010

We stayed at Kim Ngan Guesthouse for 4 nights in Nov 2010. The guesthouse is located in the backpacker area. The owner is very friendly and she helped us with organizing taxi and booking tours in HCMC. The room was big and extremely clean, bathroom was very nice too! We were shocked when we read the feedback above about the robbery. We had no problems at all and we can highly recommend this place!

• Stayed November 2010