“Best Café in Saigon !”

ABC Bakery & Cafe
Price range: US$1 - US$5
Cuisines: Fast food, Cafe
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Description: ABC Bakery & Cafe is one of the many branches of ABC Bakery, which is a very famous bakery chain consisting of over 30 branches in Vietnam & Cambodia.Our branch serves over 30 different baked products ranging from our very popular baguette to the top selling pizza slices, all at very affordable prices starting from $0.75USD. Ever need to celebrate your friend's birthday during your vacation here? Worry not! Our store carries a wide variety of cakes ranging from 10cm to 30cm. If a huge cake is too huge for you, we have sliced cakes with various flavors.Together with the delicious food, we have a wide selection of drinks such as coffee, fruit juices & special beverages to go along, providing a complete meal for anyone for any time of the day.We also have an air-conditioned seating space on the second level with comfortable seating area & a relaxing ambiance. Perfect as a relaxing & rejuvenating spot for backpackers that need a rest after exploring the huge sprawling city of Saigon and it's outskirts.Equipped with an ultra-fast 25mbps fiber internet line, our wireless hot spot allows our customers to access to the internet to catch up with their family back home on Facebook or just simply enjoy high-definition movies on Youtube! So don't forget to add us to your itinerary during the planning of your trip to Ho Chi Minh City! You can find us at 223-225 Pham Ngu Lao, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City. To locate us, just do a simple search about "ABC Bakery & Cafe" on Google or Google Maps.If you're staying at a backpacker hotel in the Pham Ngu Lao, you're probably just a few minutes walk away from us!
Sydney, Australia
“Best Café in Saigon !”
Reviewed 23 March 2014 via mobile

After a month of travelling through soa we finally found a bakery where you can buy German bread! You can even get it as a sandwich with a vegetarian option :) the blueberry muffins and the earl grey a are great as well! The whole service is simple and cheap :) during our stay in Saigon we went there a couple of times :)

Visited March 2014

• Vietnamese first
Seattle, Washington
“an embarrassment”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

i was at this particular establishment a few weeks ago. i'm from seattle and came back to HCMC to visit family for two weeks. i don't remember the specific date of my visit, but it had to have been between 2/19-2/21, or 2/23-2/24, and it was around noon/afternoon time.

i came in to look around with my husband. there were a few girls working on the side, and one guy working behind the main counter. he was dressed somewhat professionally (maybe a supervisor or manager), was slender, had a clean cut hairstyle and wore glasses. there was a couple ahead of me so i waited behind them. i thought i was supposed to place my order with that guy behind the counter, but when i pointed to what i wanted, a croissant, he told me to get it myself with the tray. that's when it clicked in me that this was how most bakeries did it in vn. okay, my mistake for not remembering. i proceeded to get a croissant to put on the tray. i came back to wait behind that couple again to pay. i thought they were still being helped by that guy, but apparently they already paid and was only waiting for their food. the guy behind the counter was doing something but i'm sure he saw me standing there waiting to pay. then one of the girls working on the side came to put my croissant in a bag and got that guy's attention so he could ring up my purchase. she spoke softly to that guy in vietnamese that i needed to pay, and how come he didn't help me and let me wait. the guy turned to her and i, and said in vietnamese: "ba nay nhin thay ghet, cho ba doi." translation: this lady looks hateful/annoying, let her wait. sometimes when someone is speaking another language is talking smack about you, it can be obvious from their facial expression or tone of voice, but he said it so nonchalantly to the girl like they're in normal conversation that you couldn't know unless you understand vietnamese. unfortunately, i speak and understand vietnamese very well.

at the time, i was really shocked and didn't know how to respond. did he actually say that or was i hearing things? how could i have misheard something like that? my shock and confusion led me to not say anything to his face, something i truly regret. i paid for this pastry and went upstairs to sit down with my husband, and i told him what happened. he was heated and wanted to go down and give that guy a piece of his mind. i urged him not to, and we just left afterwards.

i'm disgusted and embarrassed from this whole incident. not only is it embarrassing for that guy, and for this bakery, but the entire vietnamese people, the entire country for that matter. even i am embarrassed, being vietnamese. this is exactly what i despise every time i visit my homeland. just because someone looks foreign, doesn't speak your language, doesn't give you the right to talk this way "behind their back/in front of their face." it doesn't give you the right to rip them off either. i don't particularly look vietnamese so he probably assumed i don't understand or speak the language. wrong. i should have confronted him right when he said it. i was just so appalled that it actually happened to me, and i got confused about it all. i was upset almost the entire day and saddened by how my own people treated me. i know its a lot to ask for to have good customer service everywhere in vietnam, and things like this happen a lot, but a classy/sophisticated looking place should at least have decent customer service. what a true disappointment this was. never ever to return.

• Visited February 2014
New York City, New York
“Lovely”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Lovely atmosphere, great location, good food everything's all lovely. Nothing to complain about. Love it!

Visited March 2014
Brisbane, Australia
“Best bakery in south east Asia ”
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

Amazing selection of sweet and savoury foods, drinks and freshly made bread rolls. Very cheap, friendly staff and nice upper level terrace. Have been there everyday since i found It!

Gold Coast
“Really good coffee and pastries. Quiet place amongst the chaos of Saigon.”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Good coffee, good service and good pastries and bread rolls.
Nice peaceful and clean area upstairs with A/C!!
Really worth a visit ,