“Convenient”

Universe Central Hotel
Reviewed 27 November 2013

The hotel is brimming with Chinese, Malaysians and other Asian families so if you are a Western traveller or holiday maker seeking friends this isn't the place to go. Although our stay was suitable for our time in Saigon as we had an action packed couple of days and rarely stayed in the hotel.

Location; you are 20,000 Dong away from Bui Vien (a lively tourist area with nice restaurants and cheap beer) and 50,000 Dong from the opera house, so overall a good location.

Rooms; very clean, fresh bedding and towels every day, high standard bathroom for asia, very basic but does the job.

Staff; useless, cheeky sods tried charging us 18 dollar for a 5 dollar tour.

Wifi; best ive had really quick 600mbsps on downloads

Breakfast; make what you want of it, i wasn't best impressed but it didn't really cater too much for westerners

£9 a night each with my girlfriend in the capital seemed a good deal but I've got nothing to compare it too.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Saigon the hotel suited our needs.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lewisarcher

Reviewed 14 May 2013

i will not recommend tourists to stay in this hotel. i have killed three cockroaches inside our room, air conditioner very poor ,bathroom supplies( soap ,shampoo) very poor. The housekeeper not even washed the cups that we used every morning.However, internet is okey and the wifi inside our room. Staffs dont know how to smile and not speaking english.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Dang G
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Very average rooms looked nice at first but the air con sounded like a jumbo jet, the breakfast room/ conference room was directly above our floor and made insane amounts if noise, couldn't relax in afternoon and woke us up at530am. The staff cleaning the other rooms on the floor we also very noisy. There was also no hot water for a shower. The only thing near this hotel is KFC so if you want to head out for food or a drink you need to walk or taxi as its a far haul to anywhere. Note they don't do any food or drinks except avery average breakfast.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sam D
Reviewed 26 April 2012

When the travel agent booked us into Universe just a couple of days before our departure for my first visit to Vietnam, I searched reviews for this hotel and was apprehensive enough to forewarn the agency that I would not hesitate to express my negative experiences about their hotel choice and travel arrangement. Surprisingly, the hotel did not disappoint me.

The single room was large enough for my needs and I had a good view of part of HCM city from my 7th floor room. Though I did not have a bathtub - my friend has one but no view - the room was cleaned everyday and basic toiletries replenished (stay there 3 nites). TV has numerous channels both local and international, and wifi internet access from the room. Fridge was stocked with numerous drinks and packets of titbits on the table for those who crave for them while watching TV. The early morning noisy cleaning ladies I read about were non-existent but instead I found two young cheerful girls ever so helpful to our needs - they cleaned the rooms while we were out. Most receptionists though hardly speak English, understand our requests. But at least one will be able to speak English and/or Mandarin - most helpful in giving directions, our request for power adaptor, masking tapes and even carton boxes for our shopping souvenirs. The hotel spa was good and cheap - with friendly and pretty receptionists. Breakfast : I would not describe it as sumptuous - but sufficient for our needs (there were not many guests - about 20) - some local dishes (including Vietnamese pho), and bread. Some of my fellow Muslim ladies had a hard time getting the attendants to produce half-boiled eggs but they tried hard enough. Location-wise: though it was a 20 - 30 mins walk to the Ben Thanh Market down the road, taxis are plentiful or even local buses if you are adverturous. There are many shops and restaurants (Kentucky? Jollybee?) along nearby roads.

Overall, I would not place too much negative aspects on this hotel. Afterall we were out most of the time, and had a clean room and bed for a peaceful night rest. (Not too sure about the price of our room - [SIA-Agent package] - but agent says it's a three-star hotel. For a three-star hotel, it lives up to our expectations).

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Westwoodlee
Reviewed 10 February 2012

We are a family of two adults & two children & initially pre-booked for 3 nights but as there is south to do in hcmc we booked for another 3 nights in this hotel. We found the rooms to be spotless & the staff as helpful & friendly as they could be. We also booked a tour through Hank who spoke excellent English & who was also very helpful. With regard to the noise as in previous reviews we found the hotel to be quiet although it did not seem busy?? The only downfall was the breakfas, bread & butter, fried eggs, pork & noodles & fruit was the only choice therefore we had breakfast out. Overall we would stay here again & maybe doing on our return to hcmc. Great location as not in the thick of the tourist area & everything easy reachable by taxi that doesn't cost the earth.

• Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank Debo123
Reviewed 17 December 2011

Spacious, charmy, and nicely decorated rooms (we booked the deluxe rooms).. BUT .. If you want a nice nights sleep.. well .. forget it.. at 6am everyday the cleaning ladies are coming, and they are not quiet.. Furthermore, as someone already stated.. you can hear people moving furniture, dropping money on the floor or talking as clearly as it would be your room. I am not a light sleeper, but woke up several times by other people in the apartment above. We wanted to get up early during our trip, but 6am is generally to early for personell to start shouting to eachother, especially with these thin walls.

Breakfast was awesome first 3 days (More like a lunch with noodle soups, spring rolls, meat, eggs, salads etc). After the 3rd day, they removed all items except some bread and butter. Seemed like not a lot of people were staying, therefore saved expenses on breakfast.

Last day, me and my father received the bill which was about 60 USD for 3 items from the minibar and some laundry. For being Vietnam that's a complete rip-off (especially since the items in the minibar were 50 cents each according to the in-room list, and the laundry about 80 cent per item). We both went down, they corrected the bill by $ 20, and I choosed not to argue about the remaining details. The bill should have been about $10-20, but as they claimed prices in in-room pricelists were old etc, I considered those $20-30 goodwill instead of arguing.

One of the girls in the reception was the light of this hotel. She spoke english (which not alot of "regular" people in Ho-Chi-Minh do), was always smiling, helpful and really tried! Hank was also a good guy/businessman, even though we didn't see too much of him.

A big plus for the area around the hotel. It's about a 5 min cab-ride to the market, 10 minutes to port, but still in a non-touristic spot. Around the corner (turning left cross after KFC), there are a bunch off street restaurants, with plenty of good food where the locals go. We went into the "nice parts" of the city 2 evenings for dinner. Rip-off prices, and low quality food is what we got. I would definitely go back to this area.

To sum up this hotel:

Plus
- Good Area
- Good price (we paid about $30 / night)
- Good breakfast

Minus
- Noisy mornings
- Breakfast was not really served last two days
- The last day rip-off

I would definitely be ok with staying here again considering the price, though not removing anything from the minibar nor asking for additional services, and requesting a top-floor room.

Room Tip: I would choose a top floor room, since it probably is more quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank mikeswe
Reviewed 29 November 2011

I stayed at this hotel because it was convenient to a friends house in District 8. I would not recommend for foreigner on holiday - stay closer to City Centre. If you do choose to stay here you should know that staff do not speak English. They also tried to charge me for 2 beers I did not drink and room cost although I had prepaid. They did not push to hard though and accepted that I owed them nothing. I chose City View room that was quite large and ok. However, upon turning down the sheets I discovered hair of various types insitu! Two dodgy looking massage joints occupy lower floors but did not cause me any grief. Free wifi but I did not stay for the included breakfast.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends