“Good budget accommodation in great location”
Review of Nam Long Hotel

Nam Long Hotel
Ranked #430 of 913 Ho Chi Minh City B&B and Inns
Boston
“Good budget accommodation in great location”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

First off, the location is great. It's on an alley between Pham Ngu Lau (big street with many hotels and restaurants, across from the park and where all the big bus companies pick-up) and a street that connects to Bui Vien, *the* street for eating and drinking at night, but the alley is quiet.

The hotel staff are friendly and helpful. The breakfast is all right. The wifi was nearly useless in my room but strong in the lobby. AC was strong and between the paint on the windows and the shade, my room could easily get pitch black. The sheets were a bit aged but clean. Shower head mount was broken, but the water was hot, so that's fine.

There's no safe in the room, but the staff seemed good about asking to see people's keys before entering the hotel, so that was reassuring.

It's rare and nice to have a lift in the hotel.

The doors to the hallway let in noise easily. From the 3rd floor I could hear conversations in the lobby with my door shut, though these people were obviously speaking way too loudly.

Overall I thought it was a great place for just $18/night.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Indonesian first
Ipoh, Malaysia
Reviewed 30 November 2013

We got a triple sharing room that was spacious for our small family of three. The shower facilities and room toiletries came with the package. Shops and stalls selling food of all varieties (local and western) were just down the road and round the corner. Quietly snuggled away from the busy streets and main road, good locality. Front desk staff gave good service and friendly to guests. Walking distance from bus station and across the road from a nice park with simple par course facilities. My family could rest well after each day's itinerary.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank TimothyLam
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 18 October 2013

This is haven for budget travelers. The hotel is somewhat hidden in a small alley, but it is very near the park and the Benh Thanh market. Though the facilities look old and the elevator can fit three people with luggage at most, it was compensated with the staff who are really nice to the guests. They even offered to help us find the Lunch Lady even if its not part of their services. The staff really made us feel comfortable during our stay in Ho Chi Minh City.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
manila, philippines
Reviewed 27 August 2013

located in the city. Friendly staff and accomodating. But i have a difficulty in their english. Walking distance in the nearby market and parks. Area is safe, though the appearance seems suspicious. You just need to be cautious of your surrounding because you cannot guarantee 100% safe.

Room Tip: You need to booked earlier to have a nicer room since it is always fully booked of tourist.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 23 August 2013

good value for money, perfect location in the city centre. loads of pubs and resto's nearby. the hotel makes tour bookings but there are also countless booking agents on walking distance. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The cleaning staff cleaned my room on my preferred time (baby sleeping). this hotel is been renovated last year so the rooms are in good shape. perfect working AC and if you spend €4 more then you have a small balcony and a bigger room. pc's are available for free at the lobby. the pc's are recent devices. a limited choise of cool drinks is also available in the lobby at democratic prices. I could pay in €, they also accept US$ and VND.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the backside of the hotel, on the frontside there are construction works in progre...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Philippines
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I travel a lot with my family, and I must admit that our stay at Nam Long Hotel was not exactly that great, compared with our accommodations in our previous travels. We've stayed in better hotels at the same price range, but nonetheless, it was okay. The lack of cleanliness and luxury was well compensated by the friendly staff. They're probably the nicest, friendliest, and most accommodating hotel staff I've ever met.

The hotel is located at the heart of the city, the backpackers area, flooded by tourists from all over the world. It's just within the area of the usual hangouts of tourists and a walking distance to the famous parks and markets. The nearby area is generally safe, though at first you'd seem suspicious of the surrounding because you might be seeing prostitutes posted in the streets at night time, but that's just the usual business of some of the women there. You just have to be cautious of the surroundings as a responsible tourist.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank aprilshoutouts
Ningbo, China
Reviewed 12 August 2013

1. I booked 2 nights/$48 at Nguyen Khang Hotel from Aug.03th.receiption lady suggested us to move to their family hotel Nam Long since it has elevator. before going there, she showed me the room I should hv checked in, small, window facing to corridor.

then Nam Long staff showed me 2 types of rooms:
one is very small, tight room and tight bathroom, similar as Nguyen Khang's. but with window of city look.
another is spacious with twin beds, but no window.
I need fresh air, so I 'd rather to live in small one. room with basic decoration, but ok to stay. just don't walk bare feet, it has many many very small ants (5th floor). lucky for us, we did not find them on bed.

2. when we got back to Saigon again, open bus was 2 hours delay & rained heavily. we were too tired to find a new hotel to stay, so checked in same hotel, but twin beds without window.
2.1. it's quite big.
2.2. wifi is ok.
2.3. water is hot but mixer has some problem. the bracket is not right if holding shower head, spraying water to higher part of wall.
2.4. glass shelf above the basin is narrow. so can't hold too many staff.
2.5. towel bar just beside the toilet. not good, flush toilet may bring up bacteria. though I always close the cover first. just feel uncomfortable.

3. the reception staffs are very friendly & helpful, quite impressed me, until~~~same as above reason, I booked a one-day tour via Mekong delta & then found they charged me almost double.
he quoted me $24/pax by fastboat back. then $18/pax by bus coming back to Saigon.
I trusted them, thought they would quote me a fair price, maybe a little higher than tour agent. the truth is it's my fault that not checking other agents before deciding. $8~$10 is common quotation on the street for My Tho~Ben Tre route. I BOUGHT a lesson that no matter how tired, check out by myself.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family