“The most sacred place”

US$32.00*
and up
Half-Day Ho Chi Minh City Chinatown Tour by Cyclo
Reviewed 14 April 2014

A spiritual place in major cities. In the crowded place to have a place like this, make me feel very sacred. I feel safe with my family and my friends here. We love this place

All reviews
in 20 reviews
"worship"
in 24 reviews

Reviewed 23 March 2014

This appears to be the largest and oldest in Ho Chi Minh City. It contains many statues and there is a whole lot of incense being burnt (adds to the atmosphere). Despite our having visited many temples during our tour of Indo China, we felt that this was well worth the visit. It is some way outside the centre of Ho Chi Minh City (about 7km).

1  Thank GerMar60
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Chua Ba Thien Hau temple is one of the oldest history of the Chinese in Ho Chi Minh City. Besides the value of the art of architecture, sculpture, ancient artifacts, it also has a different value, which is not only a place to meet religious needs but also a place to gather and mutual for Vietnamese people

1  Thank dinhhoangthuannhan
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Dedicated to the lady of the Sea, this quaint little temple in the middle of Chinatown is a little island of calm. Stepping out into the open courtyard it feels like some exotic land far away from the city. I see the sun shining brightly, casting a cool shadow over the covered walkway. I never get tired of staring at the spiral burners hanging high up slowly burning the fragrance of incense, the hypnotic smoke sets a peaceful tone. I like how the wind is captured from above & swirls down into the courtyard cooling the air in this tropical heat. I always find myself sitting on the wooden benches in the shade, the atmosphere so peaceful that I easily don’t notice an hour flying by, sometimes two. That’s the way it always is when I visit, I have no real Buddhist understanding nor am I an angel, but this place just seems to resonate with me, I find it utterly strange & I don’t know why....maybe im just high.

Useful facts:

- Literally translated as ‘Temple of the lady Thien Hau’.

- She was the daughter of a Chinese fisherman in Fujian province-southern China.

- Her real name was Lin Moniang but popularly known as Ma-Tsu or Mazu.

- Her story is about having some sort of telepathic power & one day being able to see & help her brothers drowning out at sea while she was on the shore in a deep trance.

- As a child she was often seen standing on the beach wearing a bright red dress which sailors would use to help navigate safely to shore.

- As her legend grew after her death, the religions of Taoism & Buddhism believed she was the reincarnate of Guan Yin, the Chinese Buddhist goddess of Mercy.

- During the 19th century when large numbers of Chinese went overseas for work in the European colonies as labourers they worshipped at Ma-Tsu’s temple if they made it safely to where ever they were going.

- The Vietnamese name for Lin Moniang is Thien Hau which is pronounced ‘Ti-en How’

2  Thank The_Pale_Ridah