“Great location”
Review of Cap Town Hotel

Cap Town Hotel
Ranked #18 of 924 Ho Chi Minh City B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This was our last hotel on a 21 day journey. We arrived at the HCMC international airport and were greeted by our hotel arranged driver. Before we knew it we were in the mix of a very bustling city. (For those who have not been to HCMC, the airport is literally IN TOWN. You ride a short distance and you're in the city.) It was as busy as we were warned and had read. That was okay we were looking forward to it. We arrived at the hotel and it was fine. They were friendly and courteous. We were shown to our room. It was a street view, nice size (It was a deluxe room), fridge, safe, couple of chairs, and a nice bathroom. Once again, as I have said, having a nice bathroom felt really nice after humid days out and about.

As for the location, it is PERFECT!!!! It is really close to all the sights and after you find out that once out of the hotel go left down the street past the Burger KIng, cross the street and you are looking at the central market. Great short cut. The location was FANTASTIC!!!!

Then there is the 'breakfast.' This is where the hotel really needs to improve. It got to the point for us that we opted out of the breakfast and went to the Grillbar, down by the central market. It is a great place. The breakfast at the hotel was cold. The warming dishes did not have warming sternos or candles. It just needs to revamp the breakfast and make it more appealing.

Overall, it was nice the room was nice the bathroom was great. We would stay here again despite the breakfast. The location is superb.

Room Tip: Be prepared to eat breakfast out.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 79
There are newer reviews for Cap Town Hotel

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Positives – very modern and attractive, large room, decent price, free wifi.
Negatives – breakfast disappointing, a little way from lively tourist area

My immediate impression was very positive. A very well laid out attractive spacious and modern hotel a few minutes away from the central market and 10 minute walk to the lively backpacker tourist area.

The stay was for 1 night in June 2014. The cost for a king sized well sized room including breakfast for up to 2 people was £26 a night.

The clean room had a safe and desk with a very modern bathroom and a good shower. Toiletries are supplied. It also had a fridge complimentary water. There was a medium sized modern LCD TV with some English speaking channels. Wifi was free.

The staff are polite and courteous but nobody took me up to my room went I first arrived. This is unusual.

I had Breakfast very early – around 6.45 am. Given the standard of the hotel this was by far the most disappointing. There is some choice including yoghurt, a beef stew, fried eggs, streaky bacon, toast. There was no fruit, nothing was cooked fresh. I had cold fried eggs and cold bacon. They really need to have someone on hand to cook eggs freshly and to keep hot food hot.

Overall I very much liked the hotel and had wanted to say that I would strongly recommend anyone to stay there. Given the breakfast I would have to down grade it to 7.5 out of 10.

Room Tip: Ask about having breakfast with freshly cooked eggs.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Nothernman
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Pleasant desk staff, they upgraded me as there was no rooms that I'd booked. The 'concierge' needle a humour enema though, not exactly the liveliest chap on the block. Room was great, too big for the a/c to cope unfortunately as in other posts too, so I just grabbed another room card from the front desk and left it in the slot on the room's wall and set the a/c to low for my stay. Simple. Sorry to all the energy savers out there ... Could hear other rooms and people walking around a lot.

The first morning I missed breakfast so went out instead. The second morning when I made it to breakfast at 8, I'm glad I went out the previous day. Cold, unreplenished stock, no staff around and not much choice. Might be some choice at 630 but I'd recommend elsewhere. You're in the right location for looking around.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank WritingRusty
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I stayed 3 nights. i found the room to be very clean and comfortable. The breakfast is nice, with good variety and the staff are very friendly and accommodating.

The hotel is in a great location and a good base to explore the heart of HCMC. Short walk to binh thanh market.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Aaron C
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We got a family room. Pros: It was spacious, clean and had a good view out the window. Front desk was very courteous and accommodating. Walking distance to Ben Thanh, bank and a great coffee shop (forgot the name). Cons: The hotel is located right beside a salon that doubles as a place where prostitutes frquent at night. Food on breakfast buffet was limited in selection and very greasy.

Room Tip: There is no swimming pool so my pool rating is N/A.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jerry d
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We toured Vietnam from the North to the South over two weeks. Our tour agency set all of our hotels up. This was the only one that we were disappointed with. It was also our last stop on our tour & we stayed here the longest of all our stays. REALLY??? So we had 3 nights in our worst hotel of the whole vacation!! Let me say--it wasnt bad enough to change hotels but it was not good enough to recommend or stay again. Dont let the reviews fool you!! You will hear street traffic & nighttime noise with honking, etc. But thats not a deal breaker for me. The room was just OK. Furniture is too large & bulky for the rooms. Little room to move around. We had two rooms with adjoining doors (since we have two teens) but furniture is in front of the door so if you want the door open you have to move the furniture & it will be in your way somewhere. The rooms are a bit outdated although the bathrooms were fine. The wifi was terrible. My daughters could not get it in their room so would come to ours even though ours was slow. But there are mosquitoes!!! The windows were open on arrival but we closed them the rest of the stay. So they were lurking in there, coming out at night or getting in some other way? So I left vacation with several bites on my legs. The bellman is SOOO hard working!! I think he actually does everything for the hotel (bringing our bags, opening the door but even bringing our ice).Our older daughter left on an earlier flight in the early morning hours but we left later in the morning. When we got in the taxi--the bellman inquired about our daughter (making sure we were not leaving her behind). I thought this was very attentive and sweet on his part. My husband made sure to tip him!! The lobby & restaurant is tiny--you can barely get around if its full. The chairs are too bulky and dont push under the tables, making it impossible to get through. And trust me--there is little space to get through. We even shared our table with other tourists as there was not enough seating. But hopefully you wont want seconds or need a fork because you wont be able to get up. If you go during a non-peak time then these wont be issues but who can predict non-peak breakfast hours. But worst of all---the breakfast is HORRIBLE!! Promise--the worst breakfast in two weeks and we stayed at 5 hotels!! Hardly any variety and the quality is not good. So I ate Pho and a piece of toast with peanut butter & jelly on it EVERY morning for breakfast. The soup was the only appealing thing and that still was not the best Pho I had. The juice was not even fresh (which is popular in Vietnam). The location is good because you can walk to everything including the popular market, spas, bathing suit shops, restaurants, & the huge Starbucks. However, there are a TON of hotels (from classy to average) located everywhere in the area. So if you are looking for location then stay in this area but research more hotels & skip this one. There has to be a better hotel out there in the same price range. Trust me--I review on trip advisor all the time and I never give bad reviews. We travel a lot and I keep my expectations very reasonable but this is just not a hotel that we were satisfied with and I will let my travel agency know as well.

Room Tip: We were on the third floor and still heard noise.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank monicaluvs2fly
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel is the perfect walking distance to all the main sights and fun areas. It's right down town but still nice and quiet.

The rooms are big and clean the bed comfy and breakfast is nice, the only complaint is there is only 1 power socket.

Request a room on a high floor!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple