“An Oasis in Ho Chi Minh City”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ho Chi Minh City
Nguyen Du Park Villas
NYC
“An Oasis in Ho Chi Minh City”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

This place is fantastic. I would stay here again for sure. I had a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 2 level apartment with full kitchen, 6 person dining room and big comfy living room. On the 4th floor overlooking the pool.

I have had such a great experience I almost don't want to write a review because if and when I return to HCMC (I have family here) I would definitely stay here again and I don't want NDPV to be booked out! This property was perfect for what I needed - I am visiting from Manhattan and I have high standards for comfort, cleanliness and a lot of specific needs. The team here at NDPV met all my requests.

EG: This property has great central AC with a digital theromostat in each room. BUT, I dislike Air Con and actually always want to have windows open and use ceiling fans. Most modern properties do not have mosquito screens on the windows so you really can not open the windows, you must live in constant Air Con which I find dehydrates my skin and trips up my sinuses. Because this property has mosquito screens on all it's windows, I was able to sleep each night with my windows open and not be eaten by mosquitos - nights in March have been 25C/77F with a lovely breeze.

I also requested that allergy free bedding be provided and this was prepared before my arrival. The GM also told me they would steam clean the mattress for me in the master bedroom. I was really impressed by this.

The building has been designed with open planned common spaces so it catches lovely breezes in the foyer, the pool area, and the stairwells and hallways on each level are also open air. This is a big deal to me - I hate hallways that feel stuffy and apartment complexes with Air Con common areas and hallways inevitably smell like other peoples cooking etc. This complex is always fresh, breezy and immacuately clean. AND they do not burn scented candles everywhere, another thing I find annoying in many hotels and boutiques in Asia, this hideous fragranced candle trend that is overpowering (and allergy inducing). NDVP does NOT burn fragrance anywhere - it's is simply clean and fresh and well designed for airflow.

There is an elevator and it is really fast (5 or 6 story building - can't remember).

The staff are mostly lovely and try really hard to be of service. Their English skills vary. Just don't speak too fast and keep your language straight forward. I was particularly pleased with Lan Anh and An and Anh on the daytime reception team. Sometimes the weekend staff guys were a bit cocky and not super helpful which was annoying. The reception can book restaurants for you, call cabs for you from a company they use (so you don't get cheated), prepare print out of google maps - all the usual hotel level concierge style services. They can also book your spa treatments.

Thann Spa - The massages I had with Miss Hoa were as good if not better than the really expensive massages I had at the Amanpuri over New Years. Thann Spa is inside the NDPV complex which weas very convenient. Everything is immaculately clean (towels, treatment rooms) and the design is very pretty also. I had one not very good massage on my first day from a young woman whose name I forget - she just wasn't skilled or particularly thorough. Then I asked reception to please recommend a better therapist and they booked my massage with Miss Hoa and she is EXCELLENT. Please note - this is spa style massage - soothing, relaxing, Swedish massage. I don't think this is a place for medical massage, myotherapy/trigger point therapy, rolfing or anything very complex. BUT if you enjoy good relaxing Swedish massage Miss Hoa is excellent. She is thorough & detailed and you can just tell she has an instinct for body work. I had a treatment every other day, she also did a facial which I asked them to focus mostly on facial and head massage, knowing that the facial here would not be like my facials in NY or LA where I see aestheticians at The Face Place and they really renovate the quality of my skin. BUT, I hoped that facial and head massage for an hour (along with a nice cleansing and a nice mask) would be realxing and rejuvinating when done with care by Miss Hoa. And it was. Anyway, the spa is excellent, the prices are excellent (please tip at least 10% - it's just rude not to tip the therapist and the prices here are so low compared to the west). Added bonus - as a guest of NDPV I was entitled to a 35% discount off the already excellent spa prices. Also - they use high quality oils - aromatherapy essential oil blends, not chemical fragrance oils or mineral oils. The base oils are mostly rice bran with or without some coconut oil.

The Pool - the outdoor area here is lovely. A pool long enough for swimming laps. Comfortable sun loungers, umbrellas and outdoor tables and chairs. Lovely landscaping so it feels very green, lush, peaceful and it catches a nice breeze. There is staff on hand for the pool area to bring you beverages and generally be helpful - in particular Loc went above and beyond to always make sure the area was clean, tidy and all the guests had what they need.

One comment - this property is not trying to appeal to a cutting edge design/architecture person. Please do not expect it to look like the Upper House in Hong Kong, don't expect to walk into an apartment that looks like it should be in Wallpaper magazine. This property is more neutral in design, sort of like a Crate & Barrel. Everything is of good quality (again - think Crate & Barrel not B&B Italia) the color palette is well chosen and by Western standards the rooms are spacious, elegant, comfortable and functional (and by Vietnamese standards it is LUXURIOUS).

Room Tip: upper floors probably the nicest (I had a 4th floor). i was facing the pool side. the park side is a...