“A Touch of Saigon”
Review of Oscar Saigon Hotel

Oscar Saigon Hotel
Ranked #168 of 458 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed 17 July 2009

Truly a touch of Saigon at Oscar Hotel in Vietnam. In the center Plaza of Saigon, went here for a 4 day business trip. A nice location and view from the hotel in the center of the heart of Saigon, staff here are quite nice, better if they can speak better english. Internet service in the lobby, only 1 computer working and i have to wait for the other user coz the other pc's internet is 100 years in the making. The lobby is small, but fine for me. The breakfast buffet just fine, average for me. The rooms are fine too, quite roomy but average just the same. Overall, just fine for me, great location and very nice people around.

I would like to stay here on my next trip, also enjoyed the great riders of the millions of motor bikes here, man, women, the young, elderly they're all great riders, I truly like watching them.

If you want to take the glimpst of Saigon, the place of this hotel is it. Cheers to Oscar Hotel!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank lord_of_hearts
There are newer reviews for Oscar Saigon Hotel

Reviewed 13 July 2009

Excellent Hotel, nice and clean with friendly staff.
We stayed in an Elegant internal room because we didn't want to hear early morning traffic, light thru the window or the heat, the romm selection was spot on.
We stayed on level 10 under the restaurant, the only downside was the water pressure in the shower, it was poor. If you stayed on a lower level I'm sure the water pressure would be better, most hotels in Vietnam work from a header tank to feed the water. The breakfast selection is wide and very good, the view from the 11th floor is great.
Make sure you visit the Majestic Hotel it has an excellent beer garden over looking the Saigon River, fantastic in the evening " a must".
The supermarket opposite the hotel on level one is very good, may of the clothing items are cheaper here then the market, without all the hassle + its airconditioned a must in Saigon.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2009

• Stayed: June 2009
Reviewed 27 May 2009

My boyfriend and I enjoyed our stay there, and even got free massage tokens upon check in. We went down on our first day to redeem them and all was fine. However, on our third day I was unwell, and my boyfriend went down to have a massage alone, only to be offered a "happy ending massage". The so-called "massage therapist" was quite forceful about it and very argumentative with him when he declined. Very bizarre experience indeed, and it distressed me to know that this occurs in a hotel like this. I would definitely not recommend this hotels to friends if their husbands were going to be offered things like this!
Apart from that incident, we had a pleasant stay and all other members of staff were pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Mela_Verde8
Reviewed 11 May 2009

Alright, let me give you the real story. Saigon Tourist a joint stock company (but mostly controlled by the state) is the owner/operator of the Oscar Hotel. The big office for Saigon Tourist is less than a block away and it seemed to me that the staff there are some of the best in the Saigon Tourist organization.

We checked-in late after a delayed flight out of Nha Trang and by the time I was settled and realized I was hungry, it was nearly 11:00 p.m. - the normal closing time for the restaurant. They had just about finished cleaning-up from a wedding and getting ready for breakfast the next morning when I showed up hungry. There was no hesitation inviting me into the dining room and serving me a wonderful meal. If you stay at this hotel, you must go to the 11th floor dining room after dark just to appreciate the beautiful views of the Saigon Opera, the Rex Hotel and Saigon's main government building that has a name, but I didn't bother to ask it. Of course the view is the same for breakfast - just less dramatic.

Our room was clean and roomy, and the water was hot, though the pressure was just a bit low. The television wasn't much, but it worked properly. This building is old and the company is quazi governement so some of the hallways aren't bright and airy, but the lobby is bright, warm and inviting and was well stocked with local and international papers even current issues of USA Today (go figure). Two computers for free internet - just a bit slow - but still free.

The staff was very accomodating, accepting packages from three different stores and delivering them straight to our room, and they even held a parcel for two days after we left that was to be picked-up later by an acquaintance. The foot massage, though not the very best, was a good value, and I wasn't 'shaken down' to pay a large tip either.

As far as location - wow, it doesn't get much better! Dong Khoi street was a very short distance to walk to, Diamond Plaza and Parkson were walkable, or very cheap taxi rides. And I didn't see Cho Ben Thanh once (a real plus, those that are regulars will understand). Plan on paying less than 100,000 dong to get here from the airport - actually closer to 80,000 dong.

This is probably the best value for the quality and location of this hotel. It would be great for business or for pleasure.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple