“A welcome change from the norm in the heart of Saigon”
Review of Grand Hotel Saigon

Grand Hotel Saigon
Ranked #41 of 457 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Naas, Ireland
“A welcome change from the norm in the heart of Saigon”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

This was my first visit to the Grand – and I’ll be back.

The Grand is a great break from the cookie cutter chains I normally tend to patronise. The Grand has been an institution in Saigon since the thirties – but in the nineties it got a major makeover and the addition of a new ‘luxury’ wing. They have obviously kept investing in the décor – the feel of the hotel is classy, fresh, bright and airy throughout.

What a successful offering – a great blend of the traditional feel of a one-off hotel with the facilities of a 4-5 star hotel.

The rooms are spacious and well put together – with an excellent air conditioning system and all the mod cons.

The restaurants and bars are excellent (really great breakfast buffet!), and there’s lots of comfortable lounging space in and around the reception area. I was especially taken with the rooftop restaurant and bar with its 270 degree view of the city and the bay.
The staff couldn’t have been more friendly or more helpful.

Finally, the location couldn’t be better – located on Dong Khoi, right in the centre of District 1, you can walk out the door anytime of the day or night and be a 2 minute walk from the buzz of the city.

All in all I couldn’t recommend it more highly – for business or for a holiday break in Ho Chi Minh City.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in November and this was our first taste of Vietnam hotels. The location of the hotel is excellent, close to upmarket shops, the main tourist attractions (War Museum, the Opera House etc) and the markets. We could easily walk for 5-15 minutes and come across everything we needed. Also had a western bar (Bier Garden) just down the road which was good for easing into the bar life before immersing ourselves a bit more into traditional street food.
Our room was spacious, clean and quiet (on the 10th level). The bed was huge and the pillows were excellent. I just wish it had plugs on each side of the bed for charging mobile phones so you don't have to get out of bed to turn your alarm off!
We ate the buffet breakfast downstairs each day and the variety was good, although it was the same choices each day.
We went to the gaming area once, but was a bit intimidated as the hosts stand behind you watching as you play the machines, felt slightly uncomfortable.
After staying in 2 other hotels during the rest of our stay in Vietnam, I am happy to recommend this hotel, specifically due to how spacious the room was in comparison to the others. Would definitely stay again

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I stayed in Grand Hotel Saigon for 3 nights from 11 Nov. The hotel located in one of famous street at the center where you can walk to Bui Vien Street, the river, the church, and other landmarks.
The room is clean, nice furniture and big enough if you don't arrange iron board for ironing cloth. Fruit in room was filled up everyday. Breakfast serves various choice. I did not have time to come to the swimming pool.

Besides that they need to improve some.
- The pillows are too hard. My neck got pain so I did not use pillow for my last night there.
- Room with no iron. You have to call to borrow it and takes 20-30 mins to get.
- Toilet without hand tap.
- There was a night around 10 or 10:30 pm, i came to reception counter to ask for the parcel my friend sent to me in the afternoon. They had only 1 receptionist on duty to handle every problem as check in guest, info-counter, conceerge,.. It was a long q so i walked around the hotel and came back to ask. After checked around the counter, he said that my parcel is not there and will send it to my room once found.
But there was no feedback the whole next day. Around 10:30 pm at the last night before i check out, I came and asked again. They looked around the counter and give me the same answer, then asked me to call my friend to ask if he really sent me the parcel because there was no record about the parcel sent to me. After all, their porter found it in their store.

They need a bit more to complete their quality of a 4-star-hotel.

The hotel belongs to Saigon Tourist company and they have a taxi brand often standby in front of the hotel. The first day we was lucky to met a kind taxi-driver and can speak English. But luck did not come to us in the second day.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank laplanh
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

What has happened to this once very good hotel? It was like a holiday camp without any management or maintenance. We were on an extended private tour of Vietnam and had stayed in 4 other hotels before this one and all had been very good. Here nothing worked- no wake up call, lights flashing in the bedroom in the middle of the night, no answer on calling housekeeping etc. etc. Breakfast was a disaster. Hotel full and only one restaurant open. People fighting for seats and having to share tables, buffet missing food on half the units and that which remained was of poor quality. Tried the roof top bar for a snack lunch - 4 staff and 6 guests - took 20 minutes for a beer to arrive. Tried room service, food turned up half an hour after the agreed time and was stone cold. Moved our and no one even bothered to ask why we were leaving.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the swimming pool are nice and quiet if you have to stay at this place
1 Thank David E
Valletta, Malta
Reviewed 29 November 2013

We stayed 3 nights and loved every minute of this hotel. From the minute we arrived the staff all had smiles on their faces and a warm welcome for us. Our room was on the 13th floor with fabulous views of the city. Every part of the hotel was spotless and shining, We had dinner one evening in the roof restaurant, with a pianist playing. The food was not to the standard of the main restaurant where we had breakfast, but it was passable. Breakfast was great, the choice of food was second to non and all kept very fresh and refilled when empty. All in all a terrific hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high as possible, the views are terrific.
1 Thank Pensionerposter
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Two nights there, room on 11th floor with a view of the Bitexco tower.
Room was nice and very clean. Huge selection of food for breakfast (both western and asian) which was all very nice.
Location was nice and central, seemed to have plenty of guest facilities available at the hotel but we were too busy to try these out. We found the staff helpful and courteous.

1 Thank KiwiAntz
Sydney
Reviewed 26 November 2013

The good: The room was nice but small (ond part), great location.

The bad: Firstly forgot our hotel transfer that we had paid for, no explanation, no apology.

The staff at receiption and everywhere else in the hotel were far from friendly, coudln't get a smile out of any of them.

Had a situation at breakfast the first morning when the head waiter in the Breakfast Restaurant was blatantly rude to my husband and I for seating ourselves. We stood at the entrance of the breakfast hall for 5 minutes being ignored before we decided to choose a table for ourselves as we were on a tight schedule.and there was no visible sign to say wait to be seated. We were rudely and very loudly reprimanded by the head waiter for not waiting to be seated. I then proceeded to make some toast as others were and was approached by the same head waiter. He again spoke to me very rudely and loudly stating that I had cut the bread too thick for the toast and could have caused a fire. It was not my toast, it was that of the lady next to me. When he realised he did not apologise and shrugged his shoulders and walked off. That was enough for me, I then went back to my table and couldn't hold back the tears of being humiliated yet once again.

My husband complained to someone at the front desk but we received no feedback.

On our last night, we were unable to turn off the main light in our room. We called maintenance who took 15 minutes to come and it took them just over an hour to rectify the issue. and it was well after midnight when we went to bed with an early start.

Lastly, stupidly neglected to pack a very expensive hand bag I'd bought in Saigon and left it in the room. It was wrapped and in a brand name bag. When I realised I'd left it there and went back, we were told that there was no record of lost property in the room we had stayed in.

We are not fussy people and don't have many holidays. Sad I wasted our money on a grand hotel that wasn't so grand and left a few unhappy memores.

4 Thank Rosa11969