“Fantastic”

Ranked #41 of 457 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Toronto, Canada
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Stayed here in April 2014.

This hotel was clean and the staff was pleasant and helpful. I highly recommend this hotel.
I think I stayed in the older french section which was quite nice. The room decoration was quite different from other hotels that I had stayed in. There was a mix of hardwood flooring and some kind of stone or marble on the floor. Very nice pattern. I had a large and very comfortable bed.
There was an interesting selection of fresh fruit laid out for me. Interestingly, the fruit was replenished each day so that was really good as some days it would be dragon fruit and apples and others it would be dragon fruit and quite tasty mini banana's.

The washroom was a reasonable size and very well decorated in an old french style but looked brand new. A very large tub was a welcomed feature. It also had a stand alone shower with a rain shower feature that I loved.

The pool area was located in a courtyard. It felt somehow quite french and romantic.
The hotel had a decent sized gym and a great spa. I had several amazing Thai massages that really hit the spot. The price was also quite reasonable as massages go. Of course you could get massages for considerably cheaper outside but you never quite know how that will end lol.

This is a conveniently located hotel in the tourist district. There is a fantastic rooftop bar with great views during the day and night. The hotel is surrounded by pretty good and reasonably priced restaurants. There are also art galleries and a great many hotels and shops on the main road just outside the hotel.

The breakfast buffet was quite extensive.

Each morning outside the hotel 3 ladies set up their sandwich stalls located on the back of their scooters. I asked the bellman if it was safe to eat these sandwiches. He assured me that it was and he yelled out an order across the street for me. I must tell you the mini baguette used to make the sandwich was without question the best baguette I have ever had. It rivalled what I had tried in Paris. So that was a welcomed surprise. I had a sandwich each day and the taste was consistent.

This hotel is just a short walk from the river. It is quite interesting and surprisingly safe to walk along the river at night as I had done it several times. There is a great deal of activity in that area well into the early morning.

I must say that one of the great surprises that i had on this trip was how safe I felt in Saigon. It was quite unlike the reviews and warning that I had read. Perhaps I was lucky.
One of the things that you absolutely must try while you are in Saigon is to ride a scooter. It is a very interesting experience the traffic on a scooter. I do not recommend operating the scooter though as you might die. I don't think tourists are allowed to drive scooters without a vietnamese license anyway. As well, I had no issues crossing the street. You just have to be slow and steady. One you step onto the street you cannot stop walking until you get to the other side. People will go around you. If you stop then someone will hit you.

Room Tip: Ask to get a room in the ancient section.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Ken D
Ngoc L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hotel Saigon, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Dear Ken D,

Thank for staying and sharing your experience with us. I am so happy when I could read your comment because the French Wing is one of our differentiations.

Grand Saigon Hotel was built in the year 1930. After many years, we made many change from equipment, services, and decoration as well. However, with the French Wing, we tried to keep the traditional, and classic as the way we keep something called "History memory". Personally, I am proud of it.

I highly appreciate for your compliments. Personally, I could understand your interested feeling when you come to another countries, and have an enjoyable time. I believe that you took a lot of nice photos, and took a lot of amazing food in our country.

I hope that all the best wish will come to you, and I look to meet you up again in our hotel.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Horley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We were a party of over 200, visiting Ho Chi Minh City from a cruise ship, and had a buffet lunch in this hotel. Our welcome was warm and extremely well organised, escorting each coachload of passengers to tables as we arrived, explaining the food on offer, and taking drinks orders. Once we were seated, a musical ensemble started, followed by local dancers in a succession of costumes. The food itself was beautifully presented, and very tasty, with a selection to suit all palates. The waiting staff were discreet and efficient, and despite a total lack of mutual language, delightfully friendly.

Dear HorleyLad,

With all my pleasure, I would like to say thank for your kind comment.

I know that you are just take a look about our hotel, but I believe that you had an enjoyable time with our services, and the food. It is my happiness if I could share your comment to all of our staffs. It is one of the valuable gift for us from the great customer.

With all my heart, I would like to invite you to come back our hotel for living, and enjoy our amazing hotel.

Guest Relation Manager
BURDETT
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel's location is terrific. We especially enjoyed the rooftop bar for drinks & dessert. The staff was gracious & welcoming to our grandchildren as they played a game near the bar. Breakfast offered lovely selections, although the manager tried to squeeze other guests into our already full family table.
The 6th floor lobby smelled of mildew which resulted in 2 days of asthma. The rooms themselves were clean and spacious.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kathleen L
Dear Kathleen L,

Thank you for staying with Grand Hotel and taking time to share with us your opinion.

We are glad to know that you were able to enjoy your stay and we thank you for pointing out all the positive aspects of our services. Your kind comment will be a great encouragement for us to continually deliver memorable experience to our guests.

We would like to wish you all the best and we are looking forwarding to welcoming you back to the hospitality of Grand Hotel in the near future.

Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed in a different hotel, but went to the rooftop of the Grand Hotel in order to enjoy drinks and the view. Both were great and surprisingly not expensive Two glasses of premium wine resulted in a cost of $8.5 USD. You have great views, nice service, and good wine. Couldn't ask for more.

Room Tip: Only went to the bar/cafe on the rooftop so no comment on the rooms.
Dear Ron W,

Thank you for choosing Grand Hotel and sharing with us your kind comment.

We are happy to know that we are able to please our "fan" and your comment gives us joy and encouragement in continuing to deliver memorable services to our guests. If you are planning to come back to Ho Chi Minh City regularly, please feel free to contact us through sales@grandhotel.vn before your arrival to see how your comment help Grand Hotel Saigon improve.

Once again, thank you and we hope to see you soon when your next trip brings you back to Ho Chi Minh City.

Jacqueline Ngoc

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We stayed here after checking out of another hotel.
We stayed in two different rooms and both were extremely spacious and clean ( only concern was the wiring in the room especially behind the bed , did not look safe).
The bar on the top floor is worth a visit for both service and the view ( happy hour especially)
Only had breakfast in the hotel , a great selection.
Good location .

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear roundtheworld3009,

I would like to say thank for staying with Grand Saigon Hotel. A part of myself could understand your experience when you could have a great trip with you family in Ho Chi Minh city.

I believed that you discovered almost the attractions in Ho Chi Minh city, and took a lot of amazing pictures. In addition, it is so fantastic when you could feel comfortable with our room, and breakfast services. I will send your comment directly to our colleague, and Ms. Hannah especially, as your gift for us to give you the better service in the future.

I hope all the best wish will come to you, and I look forward to meet you up again soon.

Guest Relation Manger
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 10 April 2014

The hotel was clean, but definitely felt out dated and tired. We were there during the Christmas period, and I would definitely say that I was very tired of the Christmas music by the time we left.
The breakfast buffet was also a hodge podge of everything and non of it very good and toward the end of the breakfast session there were often slim pickings.

The hotel was walking distance to many good locations, so that was a definite plus. The rooftap bar was really nice, but empty most nights we were there.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear ckay09,

Thank you a lot for staying with Grand Saigon Hotel.

All your comment will be noticed and shared with all our staffs. It could seen as a gift for our effort to serve you, and your experience about our breakfast would be send directly to our manager as the report.

We hope that you will get some amazing improvements if you could come back Grand SaiGon hotel one more time.

All the best with for you, and your family!

Guest Relation Manager
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

This hotel is in the middle of Ho Chi Minh City. It's easy to get around from there. We felt the hotel was a little tired and old fashioned, but it was clean and the breakfast was ok. We were packed up a breakfast to take with us on an early flight one day, but that was disappointing. It was a sandwich, hard boiled egg, bottle of water and a yogurt. We thought it could have had orange juice, pasties all sorts especially as we had breakfast included in our room. We did have a drink at happy hour sitting on the roof terrace, which was nice, as you could see the river and all the buildings, especially when they all lit up as it got dark. We had a nice room and there was a bath and a shower in our room and the room a/c worked very well.

1 Thank 59christine21
Dear 59christine21,

Thank you for staying with Grand Hotel and sharing with us your experience.

We are glad to know that you have enjoyed our service and thank you for your comment on our breakfast which we will sent it directly to our Food and Beverage manager. Also, we are happy when we could arrange your special moment in our hotel.

We would like to wish you all the best and we really look forward to welcoming you back to Grand Hotel again soon.

Guest Relation Manger