“Beautiful Old Hotel”

Ranked #38 of 448 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Brisbane, Australia
“Beautiful Old Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

When checking into he hotel it was very busy which may be the reason staff weren't as welcoming as I expected but helpful all the same. When I booked I asked for a room in the new hotel as was recommended by other trip advisor feedback and we were not disappointed at all. The room had been extensively renovated and was decorated in antique style furniture (replica's I think). The bed was huge and very comfy, the bathroom also very large and well appointed - overall very clean and felt just like home.

The buffet breakfast was the most extensive choice I've ever seen in a hotel. Everything from rice porridge to pizza - pork dumplings to the traditional western foods. The dining room staff were sometimes 'too quick' to clear plates from the table and I lost a dish or two when I got up to get a coffee - not complaining though as it gave me an opportunity to load up again and try something different.

We had no problems with the location and there were always plenty of taxis at the front of the hotel and never very far from the sites we wanted to see - but very important to ask for the price of the fare before getting in (some drivers will rip you off if you don't)

The hotel has a well equipped gym and swimming pool which are both nice and clean. The pool itself is surrounded by a surface of river stones and randomly laid concrete pavers which I found odd given the quality of the hotel itself. The stones were very uncomfortable to walk on but did stop the kiddies from running around.

Must be tough to get a 5 star hotel rating in Vietnam but I'm giving them one and will stay there again if we visit Ho Chi Minh in the future.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Ngoc L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hotel Saigon, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear youstillthere,

Thank you for staying with Grand Hotel and taking time to share with us your opinion.

We are glad to know that you were able to enjoy your stay and we thank you for pointing out all the positive aspects of our services. Your kind comment will be a great encouragement for us to continually deliver memorable experience to our guests.

We would like to wish you all the best and we are looking forwarding to welcoming you back to the hospitality of Grand Hotel in the near future.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights on the 2nd floor in the ancient wing - room was pretty basic and small but ok. Bed was rock hard, not very comfortable at all. Great selection at buffet breakfast. Very busy in reception area - lots of tourists. Hotel in a good, central location - walking distance to good restaurants. Helpful staff. Hotel restaurant had lovely views but food was terrible. Overall, a good, no frills base to explore HCMC.

Room Tip: Ancient wing is a lot quieter.
Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kris M
Dear Kris M,

I would like to say thank for staying with Grand Saigon Hotel. A part of myself could understand your experience when you could have a great trip with you family in Ho Chi Minh city.

All your comment will be noticed and shared with all our staffs. It could seen as a gift for our effort to serve you, and your experience about our breakfast would be send directly to our manager as the report.

I hope all the best wish will come to you, and I look forward to meet you up again soon.

Guest Relation Manger
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel for two nights on an Indochina tour. Location is excellent, within walking distance of the river and downtown, but still relatively quiet. Our room was large and comfortable, meals were average or better, staff helpful and obliging. Overall just what we needed.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David B
Dear dkbgod,

Thank you for staying with Grand Hotel and taking time to share with us your kind opinion.

We are extremely glad and happy to hear your lovely and kind comment about our hotel and it is the best reward for all of the staffs while we continually strive to deliver exceptional service to all our guests. We wish to provide the best experience to all of our guests, especially for those who has continually showed supports for us.

We hope to see you again soon in the future as this will allow us to make your stay even more exciting and complete. Feel free to contact us on onlinebooking@grandhotel.vn before your next arrival.

meekatharra
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

From the welcome at the front door and the reception staff to our leaving this hotel the sojourn was remarkable. Our room was luxurious - the bed wonderfully soft and comfortable and any request was acted upon quickly. Breakfast was MORE than adequate catering for many different cultures. Well worth the visit.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Ellen O,

With all my heart, I want to say thank you a lot for staying with us. In addition, it is my pleasure when you could have the great experience in Grand Sai Gon Hotel, and Ho Chi Minh City as well.

Your comment is one of the inspirations for us to keep improving our service, and quality. I hope that you could come back our hotel to let us show you how amazing our hotel's is.

All the best wish for you, and your family!

Guest Relation Manager
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Stayed here with wife and our 4 year old son in Deluxe Suite way back in DECEMBER 2012. Before we left Australia we made online booking for 4 nights with a break of 4 nights to Phu Quoc then back for 3 more at this hotel. Very nice in old wing room but A/C not working so well until maintenance guy made a few trips. Having a lounge room next to bedroom was a haven after the busy xmas streets. Looked forward to our return from Phu Quoc. Arrived New Years eve early afternoon on time and no record of our booking by the hotel. Hmmmnh, Why? "So sorry but we have no vacancies, sir." So I get the copies I printed of confirmation thru prominent booking agent to show them. In the meantime I told them that I had also left 3 suitcases in their care four days earlier and had confirmed our return booking with them. They scratched their heads and said that particular staff member was not available. O.K No worries, we'll just hang around while you work it out. The now involved Gen Manager says they can offer us a room at the Duxton, Not interested as too small for our purpose. He comes back again and has found two single beds in the same size room in this hotel, getting closer but cannot make into King size for whatever reason. My toes and heels were clawed into the hotels foundations and suddenly the room we booked appeared. This whole process took one hour and a half. I am not going to speculate the possibilities this occurred but could easily have walked out at first, to try and secure booking elsewhere on New years eve but I held on and got lucky. I think the fact that I had a photocopy of the booking confirmation in the bag swayed this.
I know this is Vietnam, have been there before, so take copies of your documents and reconfirm accommodation.
The above is not a major problem for us, the hotel was great and good place to view the January 1st's New Year from. I would again book this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for staying with Grand Hotel Saigon and for sharing your comments.

We apologise for all the problems that was happened with your family at that time. Your comment is so great for us to improve our services, and quality. In addition, it is a happiness for us when you could choose our hotel for your next trip.

Once again, thank you for choosing Grand Hotel and we look forward to welcome you back at Grand Hotel Saigon in near future soon.

san francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Large, clean comfortable rooms with character - get a room that overlooks the courtyard/pool.

Friendly staff.

The complimentary breakfast buffet is average. Skip room service or other meals here because you can easily find better food at hotels in the area if you want to stick w/ hotel dining.

Don't miss the rooftop for cocktails - especially during happy hour - and the view.

Take advantage of the 40% off spa services Monday - Friday morning - afternoon. Great services.

Note: price paid is very similar to other popular hotels in the area - the Rex, Caravelle, Renaissance. They are larger properties and slightly higher end. So chose the Grand if you want a smaller property.

Room Tip: request a room facing the pool
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Vicki0215,

I believed that you discovered almost the attractions in Ho Chi Minh city, and took a lot of amazing pictures. In addition, it is so fantastic when you could feel comfortable with our rooftop, and services. I will send your comment directly to our colleague as your gift for us to give you the better service in the future.

Guest Relation Manger
Khon Kaen, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

I stayed at The Grand for 3 nights on the new building.
The room can see the view of Saigon river.
They have old building and the newly built one.
But if you want to take an amazing view, choose the room in the new tower.
Lobby are crowded of tourists and the location is very great.
I think the quality of breakfast is not so good but have variety of choices.

Room Tip: If you want to have experienced in colonial room, please choose to stay at the old tower. But if yo...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank tatar_sauce
Dear Tatar_sauce,

First of all, I would like thank you so much for staying with us. Our team and I felt so excited and happy when you could have the best experience with the nice room, and great view in our hotel. We believe that we gave you the positive views about the Vietnamese hotel industry, and the most beautiful part of Sai Gon river (as you saw from our hotel).

Regard as your breakfast trouble, it would be send directly to our manager as the report.

I hope that we could see you, your family, and your friend as well in our hotel in the near future.

All the best wish for you!