“Stayed as part of group of 10”
Review of Grand Hotel Saigon

Grand Hotel Saigon
Ranked #40 of 457 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
West Wittering, United Kingdom
“Stayed as part of group of 10”
Reviewed 7 May 2014

One of the best hotels I have stayed in. Excellent staff, excellent breakfast. The only thing that could improve is the stones around the pool (go back to tiles please!). If we come back we will stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Windsurfingsadlers
Ngoc L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hotel Saigon, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Windsurfingsadlers,

Thank you for staying with Grand Hotel Saigon and for sharing your comments.

We are delighted to know that your overall experience was a great one and our service was able to meet your expectation. We will continually strive to better improve our service and facilities to deliver exceptional service and create memorable experience to all our guests.

Once again, thank you for choosing Grand Hotel and we look forward to welcome you back at Grand Hotel Saigon in near future soon.

Best regards,

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This hotel is priced in the upper range for Vietnam, but it is very comfortable and in a really good location for taking in all the sights in Ho Chi Minh City. We stayed in the new section and our room was quite large, with comfortable beds, a good bathroom and a great view over the river. I had asked for a high up room as I am a light sleeper and try to avoid traffic noise, and it was perfectly quiet. The breakfast was excellent with a very wide range of options catering to all nationalities. There is also a rooftop restaurant and bar which has a good atmosphere, we ate there the first night and the food was fine though not spectacular. There is also an old section of the hotel with a swimming pool. I didn't think the staff were cold, they were perfectly friendly and helpful, but it is a big hotel and you can't expect bed-and-breakfast ambience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CLT725
Dear CLT725,

We highly appreciate your experience sharing in trip advisor.

Personally, we are very proud of our staff and it is always rewarding to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am thrilled that you were happy with the service and felt that no request was too much trouble. The staffs like to ensure our guests are happy and have everything they want during their time with us. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.

We hope that we would have a chance to say welcome you back Grand Hotel Saigon in the near future.

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The hotel looks posh, though room prices there are reasonable.
Location is central, very close to anything of interest. I took me ca. 30 minutes to get there from the airport and back, though streets were very busy.

Rooms are big and elegant, everything is new and shiny (if not always golden, as you expect :)

Breakfast is very good, with an impressing selection of food and drinks. But there were far too many people in the dining-room, pushing and queueing - like in a school canteen :) I had some difficulty finding a clean, vacant table.

The only real unpleasant thing about the hotel is staff. Upon my arrival, I saw 4 or 5 people at the reception desk, however, they all were too busy to check me in, so I had to wait. No welcoming smiles, no apologies :((( At last, one lady took my passport and credit card, and then I received SMS, saying the card was charged 25 USD - or, actually, this sum was blocked till my departure. A lady at the reception could just tell me that - but she didn't and looked too scared to talk to me. Strange. Some extra staff training is really necessary, I suppose.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Ngoc L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hotel Saigon, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Maria M,

First of all, I would like to say thank you for staying with us. In addition, we appreciate highly when you can share with us your personal feeling. We really need your comments to understand and improve our services.

Generally, we would like to apologize you and your partner because we could not reach your expectations during the time you stayed with us.

I took note your comment about the services skills of our staff. It will be shared among almost all our staff to let them know how they could avoid it in the future. We thank you one more time, and hope that you could have a chance to be back, and enjoy our professional customer services.

I hope that we could see you, your family, an your friend as well in our hotel in the near future.

Best Regards,

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stayed in one of the renovated rooms; rooms were nice enough but the whole hotel smelt of cigarettes. Buffet breakfasts in the morning were huge but nothing had any taste and wait staff seemed grumpy and unhappy. I did notice a man, probably their boss, barking out orders at the girls in the restaurant in the morning so that probably explains why they all looked unhappy.
They really need to lift their customer service; it would have to have been the worst hotel experience I had the whole time in Vietnam.
On the plus side, it is close to shops and restaurants so you don't have to eat there.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Dear Dianne R,

First of all, I would like to thank you so much for staying, and sharing your experience with us.

Regard as your unexpected feeling with our Grand Hotel Saigon, I would like to say apologize because we could not reach your expectation. In your case, I will give the F&B department your comments to help them improve their hospitality skills.

One more time, I would like to say sorry to you, and please do not hesitate to contact us via the customerservices@grandhotel.vn to give us more feedback.

Once again, thank you and we hope to see you soon when your next trip brings you back to Ho Chi Minh City.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Great quality 4star hotel in the middle of the action in HCM . We had premium deluxe rooms which I can not fault and the hotel is surrounded by smaller restaurants and bars , shopping only a street away . The experience at the Grand would be so much nicer if all the staff werent so cold , they do their job but that is where it ends , a smile would go a long way from the boys opening the doors to the reception staff and the girls at breakfast . SMILE it makes your guests feel welcome and would make your hotel stand out a little more

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank debbieb3103
Dear debbieb3103,

Thank for staying at Grand Hotel Saigon. I know that you have a lot of fun in my country, and it is so wonderful when you could share with us your personal feeling. I would like to say thank for your comment.

Regards as the problem with our staff, I believe that your comment will be shared to all relevant outlet to make our hotel become more nicer as your expectation.

I hope that on the next visiting day, you could come, and stay in our hotel to enjoy our renovated customer services.

manly
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed in the historic wing in a room overlooking the pool. Great spot to have lunch or a drink.The staff were very helpful but I feel the level of English at the front desk is very poor . Johnny at the guest services desk was fantastic, humurous and efficient.
Buffet breakfast lovely and location good to as near the river and the Cuchi tunnel river tours.

Room Tip: The historic wing overlooking the pool is a great spot.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ManlyGriswalds
Ngoc L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hotel Saigon, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Dear ManlyGriswalds,

Thank you a lot for staying with Grand Saigon Hotel.

All your comment will be noticed and shared with all our staffs. It could seen as a gift for our effort to serve you, and your experience about our service would be send directly to our manager as the report. In addition, I would like to represent for Mr. Johnny to say thank for your kind comment.

I hope that you will get some amazing improvements if you could come back Grand SaiGon hotel one more time.

All the best with for you, and your family!

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 April 2014

When checking into he hotel it was very busy which may be the reason staff weren't as welcoming as I expected but helpful all the same. When I booked I asked for a room in the new hotel as was recommended by other trip advisor feedback and we were not disappointed at all. The room had been extensively renovated and was decorated in antique style furniture (replica's I think). The bed was huge and very comfy, the bathroom also very large and well appointed - overall very clean and felt just like home.

The buffet breakfast was the most extensive choice I've ever seen in a hotel. Everything from rice porridge to pizza - pork dumplings to the traditional western foods. The dining room staff were sometimes 'too quick' to clear plates from the table and I lost a dish or two when I got up to get a coffee - not complaining though as it gave me an opportunity to load up again and try something different.

We had no problems with the location and there were always plenty of taxis at the front of the hotel and never very far from the sites we wanted to see - but very important to ask for the price of the fare before getting in (some drivers will rip you off if you don't)

The hotel has a well equipped gym and swimming pool which are both nice and clean. The pool itself is surrounded by a surface of river stones and randomly laid concrete pavers which I found odd given the quality of the hotel itself. The stones were very uncomfortable to walk on but did stop the kiddies from running around.

Must be tough to get a 5 star hotel rating in Vietnam but I'm giving them one and will stay there again if we visit Ho Chi Minh in the future.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear youstillthere,

Thank you for staying with Grand Hotel and taking time to share with us your opinion.

We are glad to know that you were able to enjoy your stay and we thank you for pointing out all the positive aspects of our services. Your kind comment will be a great encouragement for us to continually deliver memorable experience to our guests.

We would like to wish you all the best and we are looking forwarding to welcoming you back to the hospitality of Grand Hotel in the near future.

Best Regards,