“End of Vietnam Tour” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #37 of 448 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Tuart Hill, Australia
“End of Vietnam Tour”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

Our Vietnam tour was completed with a five day four night stay at the Grand Hotel, located in district one on Dong Khoi Street.
We were accommodated in the antique luxury wing overlooking the swimming pool. The room had a good layout, with all the normal requirements, clean and fresh, however was a little dark, probably due to the old theme of the wing.
Breakfast catered for many national tastes in a lovely colonial style room, a great way to start the day.
Roof top bar was excellent for viewing the river and surrounding city. A pleasant river breeze and great outdoor setting. Don’t miss the happy hour.
Being in district one meant that we were close to many attractions, bars of all shapes, sizes and tastes, restaurants (in particular the Jaspas directly across the road), coffee houses and shops.
A short walk down Dong Khoi Street will bring you to the Notre Dame Cathedral, Opera House, Reunification Palace and surrounding parks. Take your walk in the opposite direction and you will find you are just five minutes from the river and dinner cruise boats.
Five minute cab drive to International Medical Centre in Dong Khoi Street and a ten minute cab ride to well-known Ben Thanh markets.
Cab drive to international airport approximately 160 000 Dong and almost without exception you will find the cabbies excellent, courteous, polite, chatty (if you wish) and almost insistent that they handle your luggage of all sizes.
The Grand Hotel was good value and we would certainly stay there when next in Ho Chi Min City (have already had friends change their accommodation to move to the Grand).

Room Tip: Our room in the luxury (old) wing were nice but a little dark, otherwise good value.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Donald C
Ngoc L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hotel Saigon, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Donald C,

I would like to say thank for staying with Grand Saigon Hotel. A part of myself could understand your experience when you could have a great trip with you family in Ho Chi Minh City.

I believed that you discovered almost the attractions in Ho Chi Minh city, and took a lot of amazing pictures. In addition, it is so fantastic when you could feel comfortable with our room, and services. I will send your comment directly to our colleague as your gift for us to give you the better service in the future.

I hope all the best wish will come to you, and I look forward to meet you up again soon.

Guest Relation Manger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

We stayed for two nights in a 6th floor deluxe room in the Luxury Wing of this 4 star hotel. Built in 1930, restored in 1997, and with a new wing opened in 2012, The Grand sits in a convenient location within walking distance of many of the sites a tourist would want to visit in Ho Chi Minh City. Our room overlooked the swimming pool in an inner courtyard, and across the rooftops. The room was spacious and nicely furnished, with a large marble en suite bathroom.Breakfasts were served in the main dining room on the ground floor, where it was very busy so tables were being shared by different tourists. The staff couldn't clear tables fast enough. A wide variety of western and Asian dishes was offered, with a chef cooking eggs to your specification. We enjoyed a drink on the roof top bar where there were wide views of surrounding buildings and across the river, particularly picturesque as the sun went down. Guide books recommend a drink on the rooftop of another hotel in town, but the views from The Grand were much better. If you are wanting a casual atmosphere, The Grand may not be for you, as the furnishings are very formal, but it was certainly very comfortable.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the elevators would be the quietest.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cadarnle
Dear Cadamle,

Thank for staying and sharing your experience with us. I am so happy when I could read your comment because the French Wing is one of our differentiations.

Grand Saigon Hotel was built in the year 1930. After many years, we made many change from equipment, services, and decoration as well. However, with the French Wing, we tried to keep the traditional, and classic as the way we keep something called "History memory". Personally, I am proud of it.

Regard as your problems with F&B service, we would like to say apology, and we will try our best to improve it. One more time, I appreciate for your staying with us, and I look forward to see you in our Grand Saigon Hotel.

Siem Reap, Cambodia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

What a feeling entering the foyer ; a beautiful hotel ; very central in district 1
When booking try and get a outside room not one inside
rooftop bar a great meeting place and a place to be seen
Rooms are comfortable and of good size

Room Tip: outside room if possible
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank mjck1945
Dear Mjck1945,

First of all, we would like to thank for your stay at Grand Hotel Saigon.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always rewarding to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am thrilled that you were happy with the service and felt that no request was too much trouble. The staffs like to ensure our guests are happy and have everything they want during their time with us. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Grand hotel Saigon

Jacqueline
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014

We have just spent three nights at the Grand and enjoyed the nicely furnished rooms with fresh fruit every day. The rooftop bar has happy hour from 3 to 7pm and the views are pretty good too. It is easy to walk to the main attractions and we felt quite safe in the area of the hotel. The staff is efficient if not too friendly and I would recommend the Grand Hotel Saigon if you want a comfortable bed in Saigon.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a river view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank dbryabi
Dear Dbryabi,

Thank you for staying with Grand Hotel Saigon and for sharing your comments.

We are delighted to know that your overall experience was a great one and our service was able to meet your expectation. We will continually strive to better improve our service and facilities to deliver exceptional service and create memorable experience to all our guests.

Once again, thank you for choosing Grand Hotel and we look forward to welcome you back at Grand Hotel Saigon in near future soon.

Best regards,

Guest Relations Manager
Durban, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed in the grand hotel Saigon twice and I ll go again if I ll go back to Saigon.
The rooms are very well appointed and real beautifully furnished ..and they bring fresh fruit every morning . The hotel is really GRAND and elegant,and i loved the beautiful modern gym with the good quality equipment and modern machines they have next to the pool.
Breakfast was very nice and it catered western and east Asia tourist even with some nice European good cheeses but I must say that the patisserie was looking better then what it tasted...
Location is great and you can walk to main attractions very easily if you don want to get a taxi and even at night time you can stroll around..
Staff is polite even if not super friendly ,but I suppose they see thousands of tourists coming and going as there are also large groups using the hotel...in general I loved the grand hotel Saigon ....and don't miss the great view on the 20 floor

Room Tip: Ask for river view on top floor or a room in the charming old section of hotel
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mariella D
Ngoc L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hotel Saigon, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Mariella D,

I would like to say thank for staying with Grand Saigon Hotel. A part of myself could understand your experience when you could have a great trip with you family in Ho Chi Minh city.

I believed that you discovered almost the attractions in Ho Chi Minh city, and took a lot of amazing pictures. In addition, it is so fantastic when you could feel comfortable with our room, and breakfast services. I will send your comment directly to our colleague as your gift for us to give you the better service in the future.

Guest Relation Manger
Wellington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

This was the last hotel in our whirlwind trip of Vietnam and it was quite different from the other hotels in that it seemed a lot more corporate than others we had stayed at.
The staff were very professional but perhaps a little more focussed on efficiency than the super
friendly staff we had encountered at our previous 3 hotels.
Having said that the rooms were clean and well presented, the breakfasts were good and the pool (once we found it) was nice.
We arrived during Reunification celebrations so joined in a seafood buffet dinner which was lovely - when we could fight our way to the food. Some guests were extremely pushy and had no hesitation in taking food from in front of you and shoving you out of the way to get to the barbecue. Fortunately the chef's got a bit tired of this and made sure we got fed as well. Access to watch the fireworks display from the 12th floor with free coctails (that was included in the cost) made up for the previous hassles.
The hotel is really well located and the rooms are quiet which is always a plus.
I wouldn't call this a family hotel but for corporates or just adults travelling it was great.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Helly13
Dear Navigator,

Our team, and me need to say thank you for staying, and sharing your experience with us. Your comment is not only the inspiration for us to keep working, and improve our services but also it help us to know what I need change to get the perfect feeling for our lovely customer.

I hope that all the best wish will come to you, and I look to meet you up again in the near future.

Best Regards,

Guest Relations Manager
Ely, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

We had a brief stay here, our last stop in Vietnam. Ideal location with lots of the main sites within walking distance. Reception staff and especially the concierge were friendly and helpful.
Other than breakfast, and a nightcap in the splendid rooftop bar (fantastic views, great cocktails, reasonably priced), we didn't use the hotel restaurants but you are spoilt for choice, with loads of restaurants in the streets around the hotel. Breakfast was very busy, especially early on, when it could be difficult to find a table without sharing. The excellent egg station was outside the main dining room, and could be a bit of a hike. Range and quality of food, though, was good and in keeping with a quality hotel.
We had a lovely and comfortable colonial type room in the old wing, but it was a bit dark, lacking natural light. We had to ask for toiletries, and the advertised turn down service did not materialise.
The pool is a nice place to come back to at the end of a busy sightseeing day, but space is at a premium and there aren't enough loungers.
So, just a couple of niggles really and had we said something I'm sure they would have been resolved. But since we were there for just three nights we didn't bother and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel for location and overall quality. A higher floor room in the new wing would be preferred though.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stephen S
Dear Stephen S,

Regard as your problems with the light, I would like to say apology, and I will try our best to improve it. One more time, I appreciate for your staying with us, and I look forward to see you in our Grand Saigon Hotel.