“Excellent Value for a Reasonable Price”
Review of Grand Hotel Saigon

Grand Hotel Saigon
Ranked #45 of 476 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed 28 June 2014

People who appreciate heritage hotels would definitely like this hotel. The colonial architecture, complete with an antique elevator, would make one forget the bustling modern city outside. Coming from an early morning flight, we arrived at around 10AM and had no trouble checking in. We were given early check-in at no fee. The room was huge compared to other hotels I’ve been to and for a bargain price. We were greeted with complimentary fruits (2 apples and 1 dragon fruit) and water inside the room. I especially liked the bathroom because there was both a shower area and a bath tub even though we only booked a deluxe room. Water pressure was strong. The toiletries were not so bad either. My gauge for good toiletries is usually the body lotion. In this hotel, the lotion didn’t leave a sticky feeling which was a plus for me. The buffet breakfast selection was not that extensive but the food was decent. Some of the amenities I tried were the gym, pool, and the casino. Only foreigners are allowed inside the casino so do bring your passport if you wish to enter. It’s easy to spend an hour exploring what this hotel had to offer.

Most of the regular tourists spots in HCMC are a few minute walking distance away from the hotel. There is a Family Mart in front of the hotel as well as several hole-in-the-whole restaurants. Taxis are dead cheap in HCMC but notorious for fooling unsuspecting tourists. The Saigon tourist taxis normally waiting in front of the hotel are legitimate, but do charge higher fares as compared to Mai Linh or Vinasun, which are quite abundant in the city. You can hail Vinasun taxis at the back entrance, near the Trung Nguyen coffee shop. Just don’t expect the taxi drivers to speak good English.

The service all throughout our stay was commendable. The housekeeping was very thorough in cleaning our room. There were instances that our key cards failed to work but the front desk quickly helped us reactivate our cards. The bell boys were also more than willing to help us with our bags, in hailing a cab, and giving us tips to avoid tourist traps in the city. For the price, this hotel was really worth it. I would not mind recommending this hotel to my friends and would definitely consider staying here again in my future travels.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor for a view of the Saigon River.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank engdv
Ngoc L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hotel Saigon, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear engdv,

I would like to say thank for staying with Grand Saigon Hotel. A part of myself could understand your experience when you could have a great trip with you family in Ho Chi Minh city.

I believed that you discovered almost the attractions in Ho Chi Minh city, and took a lot of amazing pictures. In addition, it is so fantastic when you could feel comfortable with our room, and breakfast services. I will send your comment directly to our colleague as your gift for us to give you the better service in the future.

I hope all the best wish will come to you, and I look forward to meet you up again soon.

Guest Relation Manger

Write a ReviewReviews (2,360)

Reviewed 24 June 2014

i only spent 3 nights in the grand hotel but i must say it was one of the best hotels i have stayed in throughout south east asia and i have stayed in many 1st the staff always happy and nothing to much to ask of them spoke exellant and very clear english and always had a big friendly smile on thier faces 2nd the rooms spotless cleaned everyday big tv big bed big walk in shower but the best was the view over the river i was on 14th floor looked like i had my own private tour of the city without leaving my room 3rd the location walking distance to everything you would need local park shops restaraunts or the post office big post office 4th the food inthe hotel big choice many dishes friendly happy cooks ...thank you every member of staff at the grand hotel

Room Tip: higher the better view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear valleyboyMaesteg,

Thank for choosing Grand Hotel Saigon.

We are very proud of our staff and it is always rewarding to receive such kind comments as yours. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed. I am thrilled that you were happy with the service and felt that no request was too much trouble. The staffs like to ensure our guests are happy and have everything they want during their time with us. I shall ensure that all of your kind comments and praise are passed on to the team.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Grand hotel Saigon.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed 4 nights at this hotel and overall it was a very good experience.

Our room could've been better though. Unfortunately I cannot remember the room number, but it was a room in the old section of the hotel, facing the pool area, on the pool area floor with the door facing the elevator and stairs. So we got the noise from people using the elevators through the door and we had people running past just outside of our room windows in the mornings, and some additional noise from people taking a morning swim in the pool.

This wasn't too big of an inconvenience for me though, as I normally sleep with earplugs anyway. But my wife woke up some late nights and early mornings due to the noise levels.

The bathroom layout was a bit weird as well. When entering, the door hit the center of the washbasin when it was at a 70 degree angle. Needless to say, if you were standing there, e.g. brushing your teeth and someone else tried to open the door, you got it straight into your back.

None of these things were enough of an annoyance for us to actually ask for another room though. (We mostly laughed about the bathroom layout anyway)

The location of the hotel is perfect. Many of the places that you want to visit is very close by, and there's a bunch of restaurants and other places in the neighborhood as well.

There's an enormous amount of options to choose from at the breakfast buffet, so you can be sure to find something that suits your taste.

Although we spent most of our time out and about the city itself, it was nice that there was a pool. Just a quick swim in the afternoon was a perfect way to get refreshed (the water was pretty cold) before heading out again in the evening.

We didn't actually stay for drinks in the top floor bar, but it's worth a quick visit to take a look at the surroundings from above. There are however taller buildings in many directions, so don't expect a complete panorama view.

Room Tip: Avoid pool facing rooms
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Aljsen,

I would like to say thank for staying with Grand Saigon Hotel. A part of myself could understand your experience when you could have a great trip with you family in Ho Chi Minh City.

Regard as your trouble with the noise, it would be send directly to our manager as the report. I hope that you could sympathy for us, and we tried to improve it in the near future.

Guest Relation Manger

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

A quick but lengthy synopsis - we stayed here 4 days with 2 kids
On the plus side...
Rooms were big, spacious, clean and comfortable. Nice sitting area where the kids could read and play in our down time.
Central location, walking distance to lots of attractions and good restaurants.
Great pool (although noisy with renovations going on).
Stayed on level 17 in the royal suite, although we were supposed to be in the grand suite in the ancient section but this was being renovated. We were not told until we got there. It was really quiet actually despite reviews to the contrary.
The rooftop restaurant is a nice setting for drinks. They have a happy hour here as well (which goes longer than an hour!). The nicest staff in the hotel work here.
Myself and daughter also had a pedi and polish at the spa. Was OK, cheaper than home, but don't expect any exfoliation, moisturizing or massage of the foot/calf. This is just a tidy up of your toes and polish, not a pedicure.
Now for the not so great...
Food in the restaurant is absolutely terrible. This includes breakfast in my opinion. We had a dinner here on our first night after traveling, which was inedible. I ordered chicken in some italian sauce. The chicken was brown, gristly and disgusting. The restaurant was completely empty all of the time. In a way this was good for us as we ventured out more, but it would have been nice to have a lazy lunch inside the hotel we were staying at.
WIFI is very hit and miss inside your room, it drops out all the time. This is surprising in Vietnam where free WIFI is available pretty much everywhere. This should be available at a hotel of this standard.
Service is also fairly average. These guys are pretending they're 5 star and have the arrogance that goes with it. If you want to see how service can be exceptional at a hotel that is not 5 star, go and visit the Essence in Hanoi. You don't have to have the best of everything if the service is exceptional. For these guys booking restaurants for us and confirming our tours seemed a chore. They gave nothing really in terms of conversation about what we might like to do (cue Essence). Unfortunately for the Grand, we had stayed at some great hotels and resorts in Vietnam before them so we know there is definitely better.
Would I stay here again? For the rooms and location - probably yes. But I would not rely on the hotel for any food or advice!

Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank JKW0706

Thank for staying with us, and sharing your best experience.

First of all, we are happy to receive your positive comments about our services, and staff as well. We will try to build up our service skill in the short term, and you will enjoy more than that when you come back in our hotel.

Secondly, regard as the breakfast time, and wifi problem, we reported it to our team. Then, we are planning the best solution to improve restaurant quality.

We would like to wish you all the best and we are looking forwarding to welcoming you back to the hospitality of Grand Hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Having never visited Ho Chi Minh City before, our choice of hotel was really pot luck but we couldn't have been happier with the result. The Grand was exactly what we were hoping for... a combination of comfort, character and style in a central location close to the river. We booked our three-night stay through Hotel Club and then contacted the Grand Hotel directly to request a room in the old part of the hotel, or the 'Ancient Wing' as it is known. The Grand honoured our request and, upon arrival, we were thrilled to be taken up to our Executive Deluxe room in a really interesting old lift that services the three levels in the old part of the building. Our room was spacious with high ceilings and windows opening from the bedroom and bathroom onto small balconies overlooking Dong Khoi street. Although we were on the third level on a fairly busy street, traffic noise was minimal when the windows were shut. The marble bathroom was big and luxurious with a shower and a bath. One of the main reasons why we were attracted to the hotel was its pool, which looked great in the hotel website pictures, and it was exactly as expected - aesthetically pleasing, large enough to have a proper swim and a wonderful sanctuary after a hot day exploring the city. Breakfast, which was included in our rate, was as good as we've experienced anywhere with a wide range of attractively presented dishes. The restaurant staff were always helpful and friendly and each morning would show us to our favourite table by the window from where we liked to watch elegantly dressed commuters riding their motorbikes into a parking station across the street. All in all, a great experience and fantastic value for money. We would definitely stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Request a room in the hotel's 'Ancient Wing'.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Harri845,

Thank for staying and sharing your experience with us. I am so happy when I could read your comment because the French Wing is one of our differentiations.

Grand Saigon Hotel was built in the year 1930. After many years, we made many change from equipment, services, and decoration as well. However, with the French Wing, we tried to keep the traditional, and classic as the way we keep something called "History memory". Personally, I am proud of it.

One more time, I appreciate for your staying with us, and I look forward to see you in our Grand Saigon Hotel.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The hotel Grand in Saigon [ Ho Chi Minh City ] is in a very convenient spot with easy access to the
Ben Thanh Market [10min walk] .It is not very expensive to stay , breakfast is normally included in the price.The rooms are really lovely there is also a very nice pool to have a swim in A short walk from the hotel is Vietnam House serving great food. Straight up from the hotel is the Opera House and a bit further on is the Post Office and Notre Dame cathedral , go up a bit further turn left go straight down the avenue to the presidential palace. There are plenty of great restaurants to visit also dotted around the Hotel.
JB

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear John B,

Thank you for choosing Grand Hotel and we really appreciate your kind response regarding your recent stay.

From your response, we are glad to know that your stay was enjoyable and lovely. As we continually strive to deliver exceptional service to our guest, hearing good feedback from our guests will encourage greatly all of the staffs.

Once again, thank you for your kind comment and we really look forward to welcoming you back to Grand Hotel soon.

Best Regards,

Guest Relations Manager

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the grand hotel saigon in june 2014 for a few days and really enjoyed our stay. The buffet breakfast was excellent and staff were all very obliging. The place was very clean. Beautiful views too and close to all amenities.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank ConEle
Ngoc L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hotel Saigon, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear ConEle,

First of all, I would like thank you so much for staying with us. Our team and me felt so excited, and happy when you could have the best experience with the nice room, and great view in our hotel. We believe that we gave you the positive views about the Vietnamese hotel industry, and the most beautiful part of Sai Gon river (as you saw from our hotel).

I hope that we could see you, your family, and your friend as well in our hotel in the near future.

All the best wish for you!

Best Regards,