“Awesome!”

Ranked #41 of 457 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Kiwi
“Awesome!”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Great place to stay - very grand (we were staying in the ancient wing). Handy to everything we wanted to see and do. Staff were helpful. Eating/drinking there was very cheap. Would definitely stay there again in the future.

Room Tip: All rooms in the ancient wing are noisy - either from road noise or the swimming pool area. Heavy r...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank orrsome1
Ngoc L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hotel Saigon, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Dear orrsome1,

Thank for your comment. In fact, your comment is really short, but it let we know that we reach your expectation, and you had a great time here with Grand Hotel Saigon.

On your next trip, please do not hesitate to make a reservation directly via the email info@grandhotel.vn

All the best wishes will come to you!

Guest Relation Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We booked an Executive Deluxe Room. It was in the Ancient Wing. Now I love old "Grand Dame" hotels (this one is from 1930), and this one was supposedly completely redone in 1997, but come on boys, how about an electrical socket or two to spare? The A/C struggled all night and never reached the set temperature (it never reached 22C). The bed was like sleeping on a box spring with a mattress protector on it. The WiFi was waffley. All that being said, the location is great. The breakfast was above average. The overall look of the place is fine. The Ancient Wing could be really nice, but the way they have added on over the years makes you feel like you've been banished to the dungeon. I've read other reviewers who have stayed in the newer tower and liked it a lot. We thought we'd be safe with a room anywhere on property by spending up to the "executive" level....we were wrong. There are better places to stay in the same area at the same price break.

Room Tip: Unless you are a die hard history buff, stay out of the Ancient Wing".
1 Thank mblam7
Dear Mblam7,

Thank for choosing Grand Hotel Saigon.

After read your review, I got a point that you really need our help in that situation. In reality, your problem with the A/C or eletrical issue could be sloved directly, and we would like to say appologize if we could not reach your expectation. However, your comment is received, and we will based on it to improve our hotel to bring you the best experience in here.

All the best wishes for you, and your family.

Whitchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Hotel is perfectly located for site seeing of cathedral, old market, new top ends shops and river. Hotel is grand by name and grand in luxury. The bedrooms are spacious with large bedrooms. The bed linen was fine Egyptian cotton feeling like silk. The buffet breakfast catered for English, continental, American and Asian and the service there was outstanding and everywhere else we went in the hotel. Remember to have a cocktail in the bar on the roof top - the views are stunning over both the river and city. I couldnot fault this hotel at all

3 Thank lynda41366
Ngoc L, Giám đốc quan hệ khách hàng at Grand Hotel Saigon, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear lynda41366,

First of all, I would like to say thank for your stay at Grand Hotel Saigon. I am quite happy when you could care every detail about our hotel from the room to the duvet material. Your comment helps our hotel increase many level about the elegant, and the service.

I believe that you enjoyed well not only in our hotel but also our lovely Ho Chi Minh City. If you have chance, please share with us some of your favorite picture that you took by your own via the email customerservices@grandhotel.vn

All the best wishes will come to you and your family!

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I named the title of this review Jacqueline Ly, to draw attention to the poor conduct of the "Guest Relations Manager" who has been responding to every single bad review of this hotel, with the same copy & paste answers that address and answer absolutely non of the issues the reviews point out. Her conduct on here is just another factor adding to my poor experience at Grand Hotel Saigon. Jacqueline Ly, if you would like to be a good Guest Relations Manager, either individually reply to reviews and address the problems people tell you, or don't reply at all.

To begin with my stay, I came by myself for business in Saigon, and usually stay at the cheaper options, however after a rough month, decided to splash out a little more and get a bit more luxury.

I arrived at the hotel and was showed my room which was a twin room. As I had requested a double room, I returned down to the lobby and asked if they had any double rooms, after that I was shown a double room in the "Old Wing" which they didn't explain but I assumed it was. The room was terrible, damp and there was mold on the wall behind the bed and next to it, musty smell, tiny bathroom, it was like a completely different hotel from the room I had been shown before, 2* $20 or less a night standard, not the $90 or so I was paying for. After this, I once more, returned to the lobby (carrying my bags the whole time) and explained to them about the room and showed the porter helping, who clearly looked a bit embarrassed. After this, I was once more given a different room in what I think is the new section, only to enter the room and it was occupied with a gentleman having a shower at the time (amazed the reception staff wouldn't check the occupancy before). Then finally.. on the 4th time, I was given a room that was good enough, after one hour of messing around, by which time I was late to meet my business partner.

Just before leaving my room in a rush to meet my partner, I called housekeeping and told them I had put my laundry in the laundry bag and left it just inside the door, they said they would pick it up, however when I returned later at around 12 midnight, it was still there.

Then to the breakfast, very poor for a 4* hotel, dried, hard bread and nothing really fresh except for the fruit, terrible "sushi" section which is completely unnecessary (..just keep it simple guys). I don't eat breakfast that much anyway so not a biggie for me.

After this I brought down the laundry myself, and asked them to wash, to which they apologized (once again) and said they would return it around 6.30/7pm. After being out all day I returned at 6.30ish to find that my room had been made, however very poorly, there was still rubbish by the bed, and the bathroom hadn't been cleaned and the amenities not replaced. I waited till 7 for my laundry but nothing arrived, so gave the reception a call and he said sorry (once more) and said it would be 7.30. After waiting until about 8, with still no laundry, I called once more, and they said they were on there way, however when they arrived, they had missed some of my clothes from the washing and would give it me back tomorrow (so 3 days of faffing in total just to get my laundry done once).

The next day, once again, poor housekeeping, and poor breakfast. However the main problem was the managers and guest relations. The staff had made mistake after mistake and I had been told sorry at least 15 or so times for many different problems that had occurred. The staff could clearly see I was tired with the situation and angry, they seemed very embarrassed, but they never told the managers about any of these issues (as does happen a lot in Vietnam), as they probably believed the managers would blame them for it.

After all of these problems, not once did I have a Manager/Duty Manager/GM or Guest relations visit my room to address the issues (which would have made such a big difference and probably stopped me from writing this review now). Also I was offered no compensation for all the time wasted, which resulted in me being late for meetings twice. To add insult to injury, they charged me for the terrible laundry service that they did, and when I was clearly angry about it, only responded with "Sorry".. which if they don't follow with any action, is completely meaningless... It's an old hotel in the good location with a lovely lobby decor, but it has been terribly let down by the poor management. Note to the GM, you need to raise your game, your failing this property.

Much better options for half the price near that same area. I felt very angry and still do that I had spent $300 on this experience and left feeling robbed of my money. (I could have paid $40 a night for somewhere on Hai Ba Truong and had a much better experience).

It would be nice if a manager personally responded to this review, but given their previous guest relations, I wouldn't bet on it.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
10 Thank Eastham89
Zutphen, Gelderland, Netherlands
Reviewed 19 August 2014

As a final stay after four weeks trekking Vietnam we choose the Grand because of the old colonial style and it's proximity to the highlights. Upon arrival our reserved room (Grand suite in the old part of the hotel) was not available. Without any explanation or compensation we were told that we had a room in the new wing. It was just as big and the view was great but it was not what we booked. After check in we had to look for a porter to carry our backpacks. In the room we missed the complimentary fruit. Breakfast was great and the rooftop bar is a nice place to enjoy the views on Ho Chi Minh and the Bitexco building. Both expensive and cheap restaurants are around the corner and it's a good base for exploring the highlights of HCMC. When checking out the hotel wanted to charge us two bottles of water from the minibar. After double checking they appologized for the mistake. In short, for this price I would choose another hotel next time.

Room Tip: Best rooms are the xx01 rooms, corner of new wing. Rooms in the old wing with swimmingpool view can...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tuanpeki
Haslemere
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stopped in a Premium Economy room which was large, very well equipped and had comfortable beds. I cannot praise this hotel highly enough especially the staff who always had a smile, a warm greeting upon meeting you and an obvious desire to make your stay at their hotel the best they could. This went right from the chamber maid to the chef to the waiters to receptionists. The choice for breakfast was huge and the quality of the dishes on offer was extremely high.There is a good pool in what is called the ancient part and the bar there serves excellent cocktails. The main bar is on the rooftop. As soon as the lift doors open there are at least two members of staff there to greet you with a huge smile and a good afternoon/evening greeting. When they see you are about to go, they are there at the lift to call it for you in the expectation it will be there for you so you can just step in and not have to wait. Service par excellence! Finally the location is very convenient for all that is on offer in this interesting city. You really cannot be failed to be impressed by this hotel.

2 Thank Bracken3Haslemere
Ngoc L, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hotel Saigon, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Bracken3Haslemere,

Thank for your nice comment. In addition, I would like to say thank you so much for the experience sharing with our hotel.

You could not believe how happy we are when we could see your comment. We was enjoying every single words from you. Furthermore, we will keep your inspirited comment as the gift for us.

On behalf of the hotel, I would like to say thank for your stay at our hotel, and please let us know when you come back. We still keep the working spirit to serve any customer who will stay in our hotel.

All the best wishes for you and your family!

Guest Relation Officer
London, England
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I stayed here with my friend in May of this year for three nights before departing on a tour of Vietnam. It's in a good location, has excellent rooms and facilities. We stayed in a twin room on a medium floor. The room was a good size and the bathroom had both a bath (with shower) as well as a walk-in shower, which was the better of the two.

The breakfast choices were broad, although it is typically Asian with noodles and Bok Choy being staple features on the menu. I used to have Bok Choy and bacon most mornings, which surprisingly isn't a bad combination!

The hotel is about 10mins walk to the post office and cathedral - both interesting places to visit. The independence palace is another 15mins walk away. This is fine if it's not too hot and humid, but if it is, or it's the wet season, then there are plenty of taxis outside the hotel.

The pool/Ancient area is nice, though I wouldn't make a fuss to stay in that part of the hotel.

I will be visiting HCMC again later next year for business and will absolutely check in to the Grand.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Ngoc L, Giám đốc quan hệ công chúng at Grand Hotel Saigon, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear BRMB,

Thank for your stay at Grand Hotel Saigon.

Regard as your comments, I feel fantastic personally when you could discover the wonderful combination between Bok Choy and bacon. Your choice is the mix between Western and Asian culture, so if you could have a chance to come to our hotel, we believe that we could give you more special experience than that.

In addition, it is our pleasure to meet your expectation, and we would like to say welcome to you for your next trip.