“The best street in Saigon”
Review of Phoenix 74 Hotel

Phoenix 74 Hotel
Ranked #413 of 466 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed 8 January 2013

The price is ok and staff also but the best is location becouse this hotel is at the most Jungle Street is Saigon. It will not disturb to you and if you you will stay at front of the hotel you will say only wooouw!!!!! funy street with lots of young backpacker drinking beer at siting at the small chairs. ererything what you are looking for in Saigon is in this street so why do not stay in the heart in hotel Phoenix74.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Martin K

Reviewed 30 December 2012

I was satisfied because the young guys of the staff were very nice, the room was not the best but fine considering I paid only 12 usd for a single room.and in a perfect location. Since I had to check out in the morning I paid the they before and I got my passport back and the receipt of the payment. At the check out there was an old lady, not able to talk english at all, se told me I have to pay, I told here I paid yesterday, I showed here the receipt and she was saying no no no, I wanted back my rfeceipt but she diudn't want to give them back to me, I had to tear them from my hand. Than she called a girl from the downstairs tour agency, I explained her I showed her the receipt and she said ok, you are fine you can go. But the old crazy woman kept again my receipt. But since I was in hurry I left her my receipt and I run outside to grab a taxi to the train station.
I will never go back there, tghey are completely nut,.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank motumbo
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Moved from across the road to the Phoenix 74 on our second night to save a few dollars.

Right next to Go 2 Bar and Buffalo for drinks and food, aswell as book shops, massage parlours, tourist shops, convienience store and anything else you could need. We had a room with no window the first night, then moved to a balcony room. Great views of HCMC, very colourful to watch from the comfort of our room.

Bathroom has the essentials, beds are great, you have to lug everything up steep stairs though, but there's only a few levels.

Felt safe at this hotel, booked a tour to the Cu Chi Tunnels though reception and didn't have any problems. Hotel shuts its doors at around 1am from memory, but there if you knock someone will let you in.

Will definitely stay here again in HCMC!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Just not too close to the busy center town but near enough to some city activity. The place was clean and not expensive so it suited my needs as I was there for only four or five days coming from Chau Doc and going on an adventure all the way up to Sapa. The service was good and they would not mind me coming back to my room late after a diner or a few drinks. Oh ! You need to know tghat doors get locked after a certain hour (generally 12pm) I also booked a few tours with them and I was very pleased so yes I would go there if I'd go bacdk to Ho Chi Minh. Have a good stay !

Michel

Room Tip: The higher the quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 March 2012

it was the only place on Bui Vien which offered me a single for 8$ after a small haggle, it seemed ok at least for first night (i arrived late from Cambodia), there is a lift and plenty of rooms, my single room had windows into the hall (blue hospital light coming through curtains) but all the noise at night was actually coming through bathrooms of adjectent rooms, that would be tollerable for the price, but when you wake up at 5 in the morning and there are ants and other bugs everywhere, it is just annoying.. It is possible that other rooms are in better state. There was working fan, fridge, hot shower, dirty sheets, not working tv and outdated furniture, the hotel has good location but seriously needs a renovation. Staff was nice, but instead of changing rooms i just found different amazing place, steps from this hotel. (Look for a maze of streets between Bui Vien and Phnam ngu lao, where are plenty of small hotels and guesthouses with best value around)

Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank czhunty
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I stayed at the Phoenix for 8 days while I was hanging out in HCM. Bui Vien street is great, very backpacker-ish and there's lots of great places to eat, drink and be merry. Also there's a number of places where you can book day trips, i went to the cu chi tunnels...was really interesting!

I found the staff at the Phoenix a little, um, strange..she was very unresponsive and quite old, but what counts is that the room was clean (the a/c didn't work, but I was cool enough with just the fan on) and the bathroom was adequate.

It's all very simple accomodation here, but it's a clean and relatively comfortable place to lay your head at the end of a day of adventuring around ho chi minh city. If you're an unfussy traveller that just needs the basics and doesn't mind weird old women, then I'll recommend it! :)

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Wow, there are some seriously scathing reviews of this hotel... #216 out of HCMC hotels, so it probably doesn't matter WHAT I write. All I can say is, that many of these reviews are >2years old. WHich is a long time for a hotel, it can be renovated, change of management etc etc.

I think the elevator was great (and I was on the 6th and 7th floors!) never had to wait for it and it was fast. Compared to other guesthouses in HCMC, often 4 floors on a very narrow staircase is a total pain if you have lot of luggage....

Staff were fine, and I found the two guys at the front desk friendly to me. Mattress was SOFT, which is a rare find in Asia (the first thing I test when I check out a hotel room) and although on Bui Vien, it is very quiet as long as your room doesn't face the street (so ask for this when you check in ) Single room $10, $12 double is cheaper than 80% of the places I looked at. The only thing this hotel doesn't have is character... which is much better at the guesthouses on the laneways... but many of these are $16+.... so up to you.

But I think this place is fine, and I would defaintely stay here again.

Room Tip: Get one that doesn't face Bui Vien, the building is quite skinny (just wait till you see HCMC th...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo