“Cheap hotel”
Review of Phoenix 74 Hotel

Phoenix 74 Hotel
Ranked #416 of 472 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed 17 March 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 2 days, very cheap price but the room is bit smelly and there is not wifi in the room because u need to go the reception counter to get the wifi connection.. Hotel located at Bui Vien Street and the street is very happening, definitely will come again soon !

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank hizwanfx

Reviewed 22 February 2013

I stayed the third time at Phoenix74 last week.

Room: cheap prices and everything I need: clean, aircon, window, quiet if window is closed. I had a good sleep always.

Service: After nine years from my last stay, the family atmosphere is gone and the service is not that good as it was before. Don't expect too much, but if you ask you'll get everything you need. You are not annoyed with tour bookings or anything else.

Location: Bui Vien changed a lot, it's a party mile now, busy and noisy half the night. If you like to go for cheap drinks, you'll find them. Most restaurants in this area are traveler places and overpriced, there are some typical food stalls left. City center is easy to reach by walking or bus.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 January 2013

I booked a single room for $10 via Agoda (this experience taught me NOT to book without seeing the hotel first!). The room was okay at first glance. Not so big, but just enough for a single traveler. The ensuite bathroom also looked okay. However, when I went back after lunch the room smelled awful. The smell was coming from the bathroom which I didn't understand at first since I didn't use it before I left. I later realized that the smell must have come from the other bathrooms through the pipes.

The wifi also didn't work, which sucked big time because as an online writer, I needed a connection. I told the reception counter about it and they turned on the wifi on the 5th floor (I was on the 7th). It worked for a while but when I was about to start working that evening, I couldn't connect anymore.

Stay here if you don't mind a stinky bathroom, very old and dirty elevator, and spotty wifi connection. A tip: You can find much better hotels along Bui Vien for the same rate!

Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 January 2013

I had a short trip to HCM City on January 2013 and of course my stay was Phoenix 74 Hotel. The hotel was quite old, some commodities such as TV and cable were broken. But in my opinion, $18 for a triple room in a busy area like Bui Vien Street is such a great surprise. Btw, the staff was very nice and friendly.

The street is full of travelers, very busy and noisy and funny from morning to the next morning. In the opposite of the hotel is a street coffee shop with great coffee with milk (only sold till 10:00 am) for only vnd 10,000 (0.5 USD). Another advice for whom want to experience Vietnamese cuisines: number 1 rule for delicious VNese dish is the street, just follow the locals to places that definitely serve great foods with good price and very worth trying.

Room Tip: Choose the Phoneix 25 Hotel instead of this one because it's new.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 January 2013

The price is ok and staff also but the best is location becouse this hotel is at the most Jungle Street is Saigon. It will not disturb to you and if you you will stay at front of the hotel you will say only wooouw!!!!! funy street with lots of young backpacker drinking beer at siting at the small chairs. ererything what you are looking for in Saigon is in this street so why do not stay in the heart in hotel Phoenix74.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Martin K
Reviewed 30 December 2012

I was satisfied because the young guys of the staff were very nice, the room was not the best but fine considering I paid only 12 usd for a single room.and in a perfect location. Since I had to check out in the morning I paid the they before and I got my passport back and the receipt of the payment. At the check out there was an old lady, not able to talk english at all, se told me I have to pay, I told here I paid yesterday, I showed here the receipt and she was saying no no no, I wanted back my rfeceipt but she diudn't want to give them back to me, I had to tear them from my hand. Than she called a girl from the downstairs tour agency, I explained her I showed her the receipt and she said ok, you are fine you can go. But the old crazy woman kept again my receipt. But since I was in hurry I left her my receipt and I run outside to grab a taxi to the train station.
I will never go back there, tghey are completely nut,.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank motumbo
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Moved from across the road to the Phoenix 74 on our second night to save a few dollars.

Right next to Go 2 Bar and Buffalo for drinks and food, aswell as book shops, massage parlours, tourist shops, convienience store and anything else you could need. We had a room with no window the first night, then moved to a balcony room. Great views of HCMC, very colourful to watch from the comfort of our room.

Bathroom has the essentials, beds are great, you have to lug everything up steep stairs though, but there's only a few levels.

Felt safe at this hotel, booked a tour to the Cu Chi Tunnels though reception and didn't have any problems. Hotel shuts its doors at around 1am from memory, but there if you knock someone will let you in.

Will definitely stay here again in HCMC!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends