“Building noises”

Perth
“Building noises”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Good points:
beautiful dining and breakfast area.
rooms in the new wing are very nice and spacious.
nice outdoor terrace to enjoy a drink.
the swimming pool bar has very nice cocktails.
All staff is friendly.
Very centrally located.

Bad points:
I was "upgraded" to a room in the new wing. There was no way I could sleep due to building noise, drilling and hammering, quit loud and disturbing. This was during daytime, but I needed some sleep. No views.
Then I was offered a room in the older wing, not so spacious and luxurious (but still good). Also there, although less, building noise. At 20.30 hrs I called reception to ask till what time this would continue. I would be contacted. To my surprise within 10 minutes is was quiet.
While watching a movie with my earphones, around 20.50 hrs somebody came in the room. The safety chain was on. I have never found out what the purpose of this visit was, no note was left, no phone message. If I was the manager of this hotel I would have handled this situation different.
Many rooms have no views, only walls and other windows.
Upon check in I showed my booking.com reservation. The check-in lady said that on top of the 160US I also had to pay 15% additional charges. I was unpleasantly surprised, so I showed her again my reservation where was clearly stated that the price was incl. service charges and taxes. She would ask her supervisor. After a while she came back and said that it was OK. It is difficult to get cranky because all staff is very friendly.
There is not an attractive inviting area/lounge/cafe to relax with a drink. Like the Boudoir in the Sofitel Plaza, this is where I spend some time. There are no comfortable chairs or sofaas to enjoy a drink with friends or clients.

I paid quite some money to get peace and quiet in an upmarket hotel, but me it was the wrong choice.

Room Tip: Try to book a room with a view. If you think that building noises will disturb you, then ask for a...
Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank flybirdy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Booked at the last minute, I arrived in Saigon and my usual hotels were fully booked. Turned up at the Rex with no booking. They had only a suite available but gave at good discount. Service was polite, professional and friendly. This place has had a major refurbish in the last 5 years - now foyer all glass and marble and sparkling. Last there 10 years ago pre- remodelling with old wood panels and atmosphere! Sadly the latter is long gone. However good value for money and excellent service

Room Tip: facing onto main road
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Southam, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Great place to have a cocktail and watch the sun set and the lights go on in this hotel.

We were staying elsewhere but made a bee line to have a drink here. (Credit card ready)

Staff very helpful and atmospher enjoyable.
Byegone days of splendour.

Room Tip: Great for a sundowner
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 November 2013

We stayed at the Rex Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City last week for five nights. What luxury!! Located in the centre of the city this hotel has all we would ever ask. Lovely pool area, great breakfast, attentive staff and as the internet booking link we used had the suites for a few more dollars that a room, we opted for the suite. The suite was huge, well appointed and tasteful. We were on the fourth floor directly below the bar with music. Even though there is a sign in the rooms asking for no noise after 10pm, the band is exempt. So we called reception to ask when the band stopped, because you certainly could not sleep through it. The Duty Manager arrived 2 minutes later and offered to immediately relocate us. We opted to wait until the next day, and they gave us an even larger suite on the third floor. That typified the Rex Hotel. Nothing was too much trouble. Even on check out a customer services lady walked us out to the taxi, pointed out the meter on the taxi and advised the likely price for the trip. They took a note of the taxi number in case of any problems. We would certainly recommend the Rex Hotel as the place top stay in Ho Chi Minh City.

Room Tip: The east wing fourth floor suites are under the fifth floor bar which has a live band every night un...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Newly modernized hotel, great rooms with comfy beds. The breakfast buffet has a fantastic choice and then work if off in the large gym. Central location. Easy to walk anywhere and opposite saigon tourist to book tours.

• Stayed August 2013
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My son is working in Ho Chi Minh as an English Teacher and my husband surprised me with a trip to see him for my 50th Birthday. We stayed for 7 nights including my Birthday and The Rex made it special from start to finish. At breakfast I had a small Birthday cake with my name and birth date piped around the edge of the plate. Later in the evening we went out for dinner and when I returned The Rex (with a slight intervention from my husband and for a very reasonable fee) had arranged for a bottle of champagne, strawberries, bouquet of flowers and a Birthday cake, the bathroom was decorated with red rose petals and the bath filled with petals also. It was absolutely fabulous and I finished my Birthday with a glass of champagne in a rose petal bath.. bliss. This is the third time that we have stayed at The Rex and nothing is ever too much trouble. The attention to detail was second to none and I would never stay anywhere else in Ho Chi Minh. The location is perfect, the service is perfect. Thank you to all the staff for making my Birthday trip just perfect!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Governor Suite on the 4th Floor it was perfect!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gill H
manchester
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed at the Rex and thoroughly enjoyed it, some great history about this place .. Rooms were large and well equipped ,, bathrooms are clean and tidy,, but if your like us when travelling, we use the hotels facilities more than the room,.
There is a great tours desk in the lobby and the friendly staff will cater to your every whim.
Night time you should make your way up to the roof, there is an excellent outdoor Bar with live music playing and views overlooking the streets bellow, just sitting there watching those hordes of motorbikes is a real eye opener.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple