“Great base for Saigon sights”

Saigon Prince Hotel
Ranked #60 of 458 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
London, United Kingdom
“Great base for Saigon sights”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The Duxton offers a good central location, an amazing buffet breakfast, everything you could want early in the morning. The room was very comfortable and the staff were very very helpful. It was a
relief to sit by the pool, although small, after a long day sightseeing.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lynne H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Congleton, Cheshire
Reviewed 7 June 2014

The hotel is in an ideal position for many of the sights of Ho Chi Minh City. The rooms were excellent, we had two different rooms as we stayed there for 3 nights travelled on and came back for a further night. We had a room on the third floor on our first stay and on the ninth on our second, both the rooms were quiet, clean and well equipped.
Although the pool was only small this was not a problem as very few people seemed to use it. We had a lovely afternoon resting there before we took our evening flight.
Breakfast in the hotel was excellent but the menu for the evening meal was rather expensive. We used Royal Cafe just down the road which was inexpensive and good.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank zenith1
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed at the Duxton Hotel at the start of our trip to Vietnam. On arrival the staff were friendly and helpful.
Our room was very comfortable with a lovely big bath and shower.
Breakfast was plentiful with lots of variety.
The pool area although small is a welcome relief after walking around the hectic city or visiting the many historical sites; sunbeds and towels provided; there is also a sundeck on the opposite side of the building for catching the late afternoon sun.
The hotel is located just to the side of the financial tower where the visit to 54th floor gives fantastic views across the city.
An excellent start to our Vietnam trip!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Deborah R
Ramsbottom, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Nice hotel, well furnished, UK style plugs, well they were in our room, the location is good with access to most attractions, there is a sky bar that you MUST visit about 400 yards away, up on the 54th floor, the views are fantastic. Anyway back to the Duxton, clean, comfortable and a good nights sleep, breakfast was nice, the passion fruit, well superb.

Its got 4 stars and deserves them.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dibbley
London, UK
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed at the Duxton Hotel in early December 2013 for 3 nights whilst visiting Saigon/Ho Chi Minh City on the first stage of my 21-day 'Grand Tour of Indochina' holiday operated by Voyages Jules Verne.

For me (and most of my group) it set a high-standard for accommodation on our tour of the region and ultimately remained my/our favourite hotel of the 9 we stayed at.

---
I will slowly compile an extensive Trip Advisor 'Trip List' for my holiday to experience the different cultures and see the sights/landscape of Indochina (ie Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia); it will be entitled 'Grand Tour of Indochina : 19 Full-Day Organised Tour Dec 2013'. Please feel free to access it via my TA Profile (by clicking my TA 'name' below the photo on the left of this review). I hope it is of interest and use to you and that all of my individual reviews/photos/videos get posted properly; don't forget that videos aren't posted with the review like photos are, so it's best to locate them via my TA profile....
---

As my stay was part of an organised tour I obviously don't know the 'true' cost of this hotel; our stay was on a 'bed and breakfast' tariff and my room was a standard double.

The only choice I had at booking was for so-called 'upgraded accommodation, but the Duxton proved perfectly adequate for my needs as the 'standard' hotel.

The hotel is centrally-sited in the city and in an excellent location (on a significant main road leading to the river a few 100m away) to get to the copious number of shops, eateries and other attractions in the central part of this vibrant but VERY busy city. Like anywhere else around nearby, you have to take care when crossing roads as the traffic is about as 'congested' as you can find anywhere in the world - whilst there is inherent 'menace' when contemplating a road traverse, ultimately it is inevitably reasonably safe to walk around as the traffic eventually should make an effort to 'avoid' you - but you mustn't take it for granted....!

The vestibule area of the hotel is smart and spacious, with a comfortable bar area on the opposing side to the full-length reception 'desk' occupied by a good number of helpful and efficient staff. Whilst the evening dining option was, comparatively, horrendously pricey (we always ate out at about 1/5 of the price for a perfectly adequate meal), that bar offered a reasonably good-value 2for1 'happy hour' for pre-dinner drinks which was always taken advantage of - check the offer time period when you arrive !

Aside from those evening meal prices (which started an 'expensive' trend that ALL the remaining hotels followed...), nothing else at this hotel disappointed in any way.

The room was perfectly adequate and clean/well-furnished, noise intrusion was largely unnoticed (I am a light sleeper so that's important !) and all the necessary facilities were present and 'worked' as expected.

The included breakfast was a particular highlight of this hotel, which helped it remain our favourite stay. The buffet choice was excellent, being wide and of high-quality; like all of the other hotels we stayed at soup/eggs could be cooked to order, but here the choice of foodstuffs even extended to very tasty dim sum (I never saw that again at any other of the hotels !).

So, I enjoyed my stay in the Duxton Hotel very much. Apart from offering an excellent breakfast, it might not set the world alight for any other conspicuous special 'quality' BUT it ultimately had the unique distinction of all the places we stayed at of not having a serious 'flaw' - which is a good thing when you're visiting an unfamiliar place and on a holiday with a busy 'schedule'. That's why it gets 5 stars !

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank LPWilliams
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed just over a year ago for 5 nights. I wanted to review before but a major thing got in the way health wise. I had read reviews that this hotel was outdated and not clean! Utter rubbish, it is a classic design, well established, and very clean. Staff are 7 star, very attentive. Ideal location for seeing Ho Chi Min city. Fantastic breakfast and a great value for money buffet evening dinner. On day 1 I was badly overcharged by a taxi driver from the hotel, I added a few 0's to what I thought was a few pounds and ended up paying him almost £20 for a short journey. It wasn't the money, it was the principle of the taxi being for the rank outside the hotel and us telling him we had only just landed and the money was confusing etc. when we returned to the hotel the concierge asked how our trip was, we laughed off our being slightly ripped off and put it down to experience. Then we got a call in out room for the manager, he had spoken to the taxis rank manager, as they did not want their guests being treated like this by their on site taxis rank. The driver was brought the next day to apologise and refund the money! I felt bad as he was so remorseful and embarrassed, and he had to speak to us face to face. But what wonderful honest down to earth exceptional service for the Duxton. Thank you.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Tracie O
Northern Territory, Australia
Reviewed 23 May 2014

My family and I stayed 5 nights at the Duxton hotel in Ho Chi Minh City and it was excellent. The location is fabulous and within walking distance to the Ben Thanh market, Museums and some great eateries. The staff were always friendly and courteous . Our two young children would sometimes get rowdy as children do and staff were very understanding. The buffet breakfast has everything you could possibly wish for. My children were happy with the pool and honestly there is so much to do outside of
the hotel,we only visited it once. The rooms are clean
and spacious and after we had been out for tea we would often head to the bar to listen to the pianist. The kids loved it when he played Aussie songs on his piano. We would definitely stay here again, it was
lovely.