“Good hotel in great location”

Royal Hotel Saigon ( Kimdo Hotel)
Ranked #105 of 447 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Wodonga, Australia
“Good hotel in great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

We stayed at the Kimdo for the second time on our tour in Vietnam and again we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel is in a really great position and the staff are great and very friendly. We were on the 7th floor on both occasions.

Our room was large and although the bathroom was on the small size it was more than adequate with plentiful supply of toiletries.The room was clean as was the bedding. We had free wifi access in the room.

Breakfast was plentiful with good choices. The coffee was very good.

I used the swimming pool and had a relaxing massage at discount rates as a guest of the hotel.

Reception was efficient and the reception staff most helpful.

Would defititely stay there again and would recommend it to my friends.

Room Tip: Go for a deluxe room on the 7th floor or above
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Paulscan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

Although the hotel is rated as a 4-star property, it is rather old. I was not too impressed when I arrived, it has a 70s look and feel. Check-in was prompt and quick. It has an excellent location, very centrally located. I came across cockroaches in my room and found it difficult to sleep at night for fear of more cockroaches appearing. When you draw the curtain, the window looks out to a brick wall. Service from the Front Desk staff was also rather disappointing. I was expecting to be picked up from my hotel at 7.45am the next morning and had been waiting in the lobby since 7.30am, I approached a female staff at the Reception to seek her assistance to contact them, here I was, an English speaking person, and she talked to me in a manner as if I understood very little English. Throughout my stay, I found the staff to be very unfriendly and not helpful. I had also enquired on the location of a spa I came across online and was asking for assistance on how I could get there. Rather than advise me, the gentleman was strongly recommending another spa for me to try, he wasted no time with making an appt for me. On my way out of the hotel, I found a spa located just 2 doors away from the hotel and decided to explore on my own. I cannot understand why they would recommend a spa located further away when there was one just a hop and a skip away. I eventually tried the spa 2 doors away, Glow Spa and the service and quality of the massage was excellent. Overall, I was disappointed with Kimdo Hotel and would not recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

This hotel was booked for me through ICS as part of the overall programme they cobbled together for me, I would not have selected myself if I had have used tripadvisor and read the comments, and as a result I cannot comment on value for money. However, I checked in and the staff were friendly enough ... I arrived at the room tipped the bellman and popped my bags down, the bellman had not explained anything about the hotel so I opened the guide on the desk and out ran two cockroaches ... eewwww I sat on the bad (in fright) and out from under the cover on the floor ran more cockroaches ... I rang downstairs and explained I wanted out of room as there were cockroaches to be told there was none available, I then said I was checking out (they did not seem to think roaches were a problem) after much back and forwards with reception not really understanding english I made my way downstairs ... when I said I was leaving I was promptly shown a second room (almost next door to the previous one), when I explained that the roaches could make there way across the hall to my room they totally refused to believe this ... then guess what ... out pops a roach ... so now I say I want to move, and they say they can move me to a separate area of the hotel but as it is a better room I will have to pay extra ... I then say I am checking out again, and am told I can have the first night in the upgraded room at no charge .. I then try and explain that I am not paying extra for a room if it is impossible for me to stay in the original one ... wifi access is apparantley also free so I open the ipad in lobby to try and find another hotel ... guess what wifi not working ... then I am sent to the business centre where guess what ... internet is not working ... I pop down the road to Rex hotel, use their wifi to find a hotel (it is tet) and book elsewhere ... I have to also say when I am sitting in the lobby attempting to use the internet I have the manager at reception telling me I have to stay, there are no rooms anywhere in HCMC because of tet, I will never find another room ... very very annoying ... I am still attempting a refund through the hotel and / or ICS ..... avoid avoid avoid (oooh I have to agree with the other readers that the location is amazing .... but all the hotels in the area are in a wonderful location)

Room Tip: dont stay here
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank CharlotteBT

Travellers are raving about these Ho Chi Minh City hotels

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2012

Our family of 2 adults & 3 kids stayed here in a family room. The room was nicely made up & clean. The kids loved using the swimming pool. Good location. Great buffet breakfast. Complimentary fruit & water each day in room was a nice touch. Staff very helpful. Would definetly stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank KarenT04
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

This hotel is located in a great location in the center of everything. My wife my daughter and I love it. It's safe and secured. We got a basket of fresh fruits every day like dragon fruits, apples and other local fruits. The room and beds are very clean with oriental decoration. It's a large room with 3 beds for 3 peoples. The front desk was friendly and helpful. The breakfast was excellent! Would stay again :)

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2011

You cannot beat this hotel's location. However, a big drawback was the roaches running around the room, as well as three other rooms in our group. After reporting to mgmt, I was told that they would look in to it, and a minute later, they reported that there were no roaches I the room.

They obviously don't feel like this is a problem. The room itself was decent, but could use a renovation.

Breakfast was also substandard for Vietnam hotels of similar class. Expect over 10 minute wait to order an omlette - they need another person to help cook. They run out of food pretty qui,cly. So go eat early.

However, the location truly is excellent, close to major shopping mall, street markets, good places to eat, and a vibrant city center.

Probably would not stay again, since there are many other nearby options.

• Stayed December 2011
3 Thank hvnair
Kielce
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

Hotel is very centrally located, near the main street with elegant shops and local market with attractive priceless goods. Breakfast is apropiate for 4* hotel, hotel staff friendly. I just was surprised that for ironing service I had to wait over two hours. It's complicate when you have business meetings and just a short time for preparing yourself. Wifi was in the room. Lobbby is big, wide, but elevator very small, so I don't knw how they accomodate bigger groups. Rooms are enough for 4*. View from the room - narrow patio but hotel is in the centre so that is normal that they have some "patio view" rooms. I think for business stay or dinamic holidays os OK.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business