“New Look”

Ranked #191 of 458 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Toronto, Canada
“New Look”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

This property is freshly renovated (some minor renos still going on). The room wasn't very big but it was fresh and classy. The only thing we didn't like is that the window could not be opened to air the room out. The Saigon breakfast was tasty, better than the western. The staff was friendly and always smiling. Good location as it is only a five minute walk to the bars at "backpacker alley", a ten minute walk to the market, War Museum and 20 to the Opera House.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Check in was a breeze. Located in room 505 I assume its one of the renovated rooms. Rooms are your average size. Queen been with flat screen tv in rooms. Walk in showers, bathroom over looks room, however you can pull down the blind for privacy... Only a couple of minutes walk to the night life... The service at this hotel is great. Would recommend if your looking for something cheap and cheerful... There is renovations going on at the hotel, however your out most of the day anyway and when you come back in the evening it's finished.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I booked initially for 2 nights but stayed for 6 in the end. I found the staff to be friendly and helpful and the room, though a little on the small side, was very clean, very modern and the bathroom was fantastic. Location wise I found it to be ideally situated, not too noisy and away from the crowded backpackers area and only 20,000 max on a xe om. As mentioned there are renovation works going on, but I did not find they affected me too much as I was out and about most of the time and they seemed to try to put guests as far away from the work as possible.

The coffee shop next door is good and the staff there are exceptionally friendly too.

The only negatives were that the mini bar was understocked (a packet of crisps, a couple of soft drinks and one beer), and the breakfast was uninspiring. However at the price I have no complaints and will certainly consider staying here on my next visit in October.

All in all I would not hesitate to recommend or to stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Newly renovated rooms coupled with a relatively well accessible location. Food is good and service is great - commendation to the service staff, Van. Overall fantastic value! One down-side if any is the ongoing renovation works. This however is offset by the special rates that are presently in placed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I would like to see thank you very much @ Ruby river hotel,i really appreciate all the staff.i really feel the warm enthusiasm welcome,specially the guy who assist me when i arrived his name is [hung]-he is very polite and helpful..the hotel is pretty nice,clean and has a very Good WIFI connection..WONDERFUL.and its really convenient along the city.and no worries about the taxi is always Available.i consider this experience one of my unforgettable Journey!!! thank you for making me feel @home and safe!,'-)

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I made my reservation at this hotel online knowing absolutely nothing about the physical layout of the downtown area. Truth be known Ho Chi Minh City has many "downtown" sections, each with its own particular character catering to a particular type of tourist. The hotel is located adjacent to what seems like one of the busiest intersections in the city. Being located on a side street however shields you from much of the noise from the main street. During the day however be prepared to hear the constant drone of traffic and the omnipresent honking of car and scooter horns. If you've travelled anywhere in Asia you'll know that this aspect of city life is inescapable--so you either deal with it or go home. I happen to love travelling in Asian countries so this doesn't bother me.

The hotel lists itself as 4 star, but in my opinion is not up to that standard. The best thing I an say is that it is affordable. The rooms are small and obviously made to Asian standards of space rather than Western notions of space, and has a flatscreen TV, window air conditioner, small built-in closet, and small bathroom with shower. Wi-Fi internet is complimentary and doesn't appear to be censored to any large degree as one might expect in a communist country. I don't mind roughing it a bit when I travel so the hotel suited my needs but may not be to everyone's tastes. I would not recommend it for those travelling with kids or groups unless you split up into separate rooms.

Hotel staff are extremely helpful and courteous, and there is someone at the front desk 24/7. The concierge will take you on a tour of the city on his motorbike (for free), even though I did offer to buy him lunch. I think it was cheaper than a cab. Let me tell you, the experience of whizzing in and out of traffic on a scooter on the busy streets of downtown was most exhilarating. This is a city where there's actually more cars and scooters on the streets than people. It was absolutely surreal and a bit frightening but in a cool sort of way.

The hotel restaurant is not very good.The menu is extremely limited and the kitchen staff seem more like fast food cooks than true chefs. So if you're expecting fine dining--this ain't it. They don't even offer Pho--the national dish of Vietnam (a hearty broth noodle soup usually beef or chicken). But considering you can go out and eat at any myriad of restaurants and experience real fine Vietnamese dining at very affordable prices, why would you want to eat in the hotel restaurant anyway? If you're a Pho lover (like me), there are hundreds of restaurants serving it and in a multitude of varieties. Check out one called Pho 2000. Yes, it's a bit touristy, but they are fast, the food is great, and it's a good place to meet other tourists. It's also located in the prime shopping area of the city.

All in all I'd rate this hotel 2 stars. It's really for the solo traveller who just needs a small but clean and affordable place to stay during their visit to this amazing city. There are certainly 5 star accommodations to be had. It's all about where your priorities are.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Paul P
Cary L, General Manager at Empress Hotel IMS Ho Chi Minh, responded to this review, 1 June 2013
Dear Mr. Paul P,

I found your comment very informative but there are a couple of points I would like clarify. First of all, we never advertize as being a 4 star hotel. Officially, we are a 2 star hotel and we have a plaque at the main entrance indicating as such.

As explained in my previous replies on Tripadvisors, we used to be a 3 star hotel until the government changed the criteria in 2009 that 3 star hotels must have at least 50 rooms, and we only have 40 rooms. That is the reason we are now under renovation to add more rooms and to give the hotel a new look.

Secondly, I don't want to give the wrong information that the hotel provide free tours on motorbike. We never encourage it as the hotel will be held liable in case of accidents. Maybe there was some communication problem but I can assure that It was purely done on a personal basis between guest and staff.

Yours sincerely,

Cary Leung
Empress Hotel HCM
Dharamsala, India
Reviewed 4 April 2013

We stayed here for five days. Our room was quite charming (we dig the rustic look!) and it was good value for money. There wasn't a lot of extra space but the bed was huge and we got everything we needed. The staff were also helpful and organized a couple of little day-trips for us and we also did some independent exploring to escape the chaos of the city. The breakfast didn't offer much for vegetarians but the waiters were very accommodating and pretty much brought us everything we asked for. There are a few convenience stores, bakeries, restaurants and bars in the neighborhood and there are always taxis driving by. In theory, it's a walking distance from the reunification palace (etc.) but walking can be a nightmare in HCMC because of the scooters & crazy traffic. They were also renovating the hotel when we were there, which was unfortunate, but not enough to make our stay unpleasant. All in all, it was pretty convenient and comfortable.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Cary L, General Manager at Empress Hotel IMS Ho Chi Minh, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Dear Konchok,

I'm glad to learn you had a nice stay with us and thank you very much for taking time to post your comment on Tripadvisor. A small hotel like us do not have the mega budget to spend on advertising so comments like these are much appreciated although we welcome constructive criticisms as well so we can make improvements.

I do hope you will visit us again in the near future and if you need any assistance whatsoever, please feel free to contact me direct .

Yours sincerely,