“Wish I'd listened to Tripadvisor and avoided here.”
Review of Spring Hotel

Spring Hotel
Ranked #131 of 476 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

This was the only hotel in Vietnam where I risked a hotel with poorer tripadvisor reviews and I regret it. The location of this hotel is great and I was happy to have a basic hotel to accommodate this but a range of things meant I really didn't enjoy my stay. What Lonely Planet calls faded grandeur was more 'dingy' as another reviewer described.

This was the only hotel we came to in Vietnam without a welcome drink and whilst I didn't care about that specifically, it set a tone for mixed and often unhelpful customer service from the reception desk. When asked if they could include my stamped postcard in with their post, I was met with a look of disgust and ended up walking to the post office myself. The room itself had sheets and towels with stains on them, a faulty (and easily moved) safety box and no shower curtain. There were also a bunch of ants wandering around in the bathroom sink. After one night I brought this to their attention and they were quite helpful in moving our room next door. This was better but there were still some towels with ominous dirt on them and ants too.

Overall this hotel put a dampener on my experience of HCMC and I wish, especially given how cheap taxis are, that we had stayed somewhere else.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Penguin_penguin8

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I stayed here sharing a triple room (actually a suite) with my teenage sons for three nights. There was plenty of space for us - though not if we had been staying longer - and the facilities fine. The staff were friendly and helpful (as almost everyone seems to be in HCMC), and the breakfast generous. Best of all, our room at the back was quiet, but the hotel is centrally located so we could walk everywhere. Recommended.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 26 June 2014

This is no luxury hotel, but it's a decent place to spend a minimal amount of time on your trip. We were initially put in a room on the 2nd floor, but it was right by the staff stairwell and became very noisy at night and the early morning hours. I'm not usually one to complain about a room, but we did and we're quickly moved up several floors to a better room- slightly better looking and quieter. The staff was very helpful in that regard.

The beds (both rooms) were the hardest I've ever experienced, but I was still able to sleep. The rooms were just dingy- bathroom was clean (still wore shower shoes though), but the comforter looked discolored and just old and again, dingy. One of those places were you don't really want to jump in under the covers- and one that you inspect closely before deciding you'll live.

As with many hotels in this part of the world (at least, hotels of this quality), hallways are not air conditioned. They get quite miserable, so be prepared for that.

Breakfast was ordered (not buffet) and included and not too bad. You get lots, including a big hunk of crusty French bread. Western and Vietnamese choices, fruit plates. Vietnamese iced coffee- amazing.

In terms of location- it was great. We walked to the big market and the war museum, but they were pretty lengthy walks. Cabs are cheap so don't hesitate to get relief from the heat- also a tip we picked up was to always select cabs that are moving instead of a guy who is parked- purely for the sake of the air con. Get one that's been on the move and it'll be much cooler than the guy who was taking a half hour coffee break.

About Ho Chi Minh- we found an air conditioned market on our way back from the Ben than market that was my favorite shopping spot on our whole trip, which included Bangkok, siem reap, and Hanoi. This market had unique items at good prices. So don't blow off shopping here!!

There's a cute cupcake shop on the corner by the hotel where we had taro and green tea cupcakes- recommended! Also a shopping mall close to the Norte dame with Pizza Hut and KFC- if you're craving some creature comforts. Not a Starbucks in sight, but lots if Vietnamese chains with excellent, excellent coffee.

Really loved Ho Chi Minh- this hotel didn't have much to do with it, but it clearly didn't ruin the experience either. It's cheap and you get what you pay for. Staff is courteous but the place is a bit of a dump.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank lizoest
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Hotel is well located, 10 minute walk from Ben Thanh market & close to restaurants & shops. Staff were very friendly and helpful - we were able to leave some of our luggage there for a week while we were travelling around Vietnam. The breakfast was great too. Loved the rooftop area - a great spot at sunset to look out over the city.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 17 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at the The Spring Hotel in early May 2014. It was adequate for what we needed as it was a perfect base for exploring Saigon.
The rooms were basic and dated but comfortable. The breakfast was included, my husband had noodle soup and I had toast with egg. It also came with a drink and plate of fruit each with was nice.
The hotel also organised us trip to the Cu Chi Tunnels just outside the city which was handy.
Pros - Location
Cons - The decor is a bit dated.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HShackleton
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed in a room for 3 people. All of us really enjoyed our stay. The location of our hotel was great, easy to explain where it was to taxi drivers. Service was very good, a decent breakfast included in the price (which worked out to be approx £15/night per person per room). Room was clean as was the size. Worth the stay.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My wife and I stayed here twice in April, book-ending a trip to Can Tho/Mekong and the stay was great. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The room was clean and tidy. Minor issue with a stuck safe door was attended to immediately and resolved promptly.

Breakfast was lovely - vegetarian pho highly recommended.

The hotel is not right in the heart of the backpackers area which is why we selected the location and were not disappointed. We felt that we were local to everything without being bombarded with the touristic environment. A short walk to everything we wanted to do on our first visit. The only time we used a taxi was to get to/from the bus station for our trip to Can Tho.

There are some negative comments regarding tired decor/bathrooms etc. - staying in local hotels is not the same as staying in generic Western chain hotels anywhere around the world - and with this in mind there was no issue staying here.

We would happily stay here next time we are in Ho Chi Minh.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple