“Better this time, but...”

Novotel Saigon Centre Hotel
Ranked #36 of 476 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Last time I stayed things went very poorly. This time everything was okay with the front desk, chieckin, checkout, lounge, and fitness center. The room service food was good and delivered promptly even though they told me they had a lot of orders. The poor delivery staff was sweating quite a bit when he came in.
My two problems this time are with the restaurant and reservations. The restaurant is terrible, full stop. The first day I arrived I had lunch in the restaurant. I noticed quite a bit of smoke in the air the moment the elevator doors opened to the restaurant. It smelled like a BBQ in the restaurant. I had my lunch, which was quite good food, and went off to my meeting. The first thing my colleague said to me was that I smelled like food. This was not the impression I was hoping for. I had the same problem with breakfast and could smell the food on me for the next few hours. I thought about demanding to have my food delivered to my room, but I knew that would be a losing argument. The hotel really needs to either service the existing exhaust system or look at installing a better one. Second, the placemats in the restaurant are not changed after use. This is a health hazard and just gross to think about. Food, used utensils, bones from food, and who knows what else are placed on the mats by those before you, and the mats are NOT disinfected before you sit down to use. Really gross. I refused to use. Last, the chef made me the worst scrambled eggs I have ever had in my life. In fact, I couldn't finish them. I don't know what he did to them, but it was certainly the first time I have ever had to send back scrambled eggs! Oh, and I forgot to mention that the restaurant was dirty every time I went there. There was food on the floor and crumbs on tables that were obviously NOT from the current meal period. To sum it up, the restaurant, including the well-intentioned but undertrained staff, was disappointing.
The reservations department disappointed me by holding me to the last night of my stay when my travel plans changed. I tried to explain that I would be back to HCMC soon and would be happy to use that night and more. They didn't even discuss and refused immediately. That's not what I have experienced in other hotels that I visit frequently.
I will be back, but the restaurant is really a problem and needs to be addressed. I can't walk around smelling like a BBQ all day in business meetings.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
NovotelSaigon, General Manager at Novotel Saigon Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear jchanlifat,

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to inform us of the difficulty you have encountered during your last visit.
The experience you describe causes us deep concern and I wish to apologise. I have planned a meeting this afternoon with my team in order to make sure that those unacceptable mistakes will not be repeated in Novotel Saigon Centre.
I hope you will accept my deepest apologies and that this experience will not impair your confidence at Novotel.
Thank you for your kind comment on the room service. I am looking forward to welcoming you back personally at Novotel Saigon Centre

H7965-gm@accor.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,644)

Reviewed 19 April 2014

We returned to this hotel for 7 days beginning of April. 12 months from last visit, everything was up to the great standard that we had received last year. We were upgraded to an Executive Suite on the 19th Floor with a fantastic view over Saigon, The hotel had arranged a pickup from the Airport and we had rather a hairy ride back to the hotel, Think the driver needed to slow down and not be so impatient. We did feel rather unsafe. Other than that our stay was excellent and could not fault this hotel for anything, very clean, nice rooms and great service all around.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone and deserves. 5 star rating,

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear shazgirl3,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. If I can ever be of assistance or service to you, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. It would be our pleasure to welcome you again to Novotel Saigon Centre.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 18 April 2014

We only stayed for one night but found the hotel staff very welcoming and our room very well appointed and clean. We especially enjoyed the pool area to cool down and relax after a hot day. Hotel is well located and a peaceful retreat from a very hectic city.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Tracy C,

Thank you for sharing your comment on Tripadvisor. I am pleased to know that your enjoyed your stay with us and hope to have a chance to welcome you back at Novotel Saigon Centre.

Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights and this hotel was a haven in the craziness of Ho Chi Min City. Four of us were accommodated in a large suite with access to the Premier lounge which included all day refreshments and canapés, complimentary cocktails, spirits, beer from 1730 to 1930. Breakfast was a large buffet and there was a lot to choose from. The roof top bar has spectacular views and is relaxing. The pool, gym and Spa services were excellent and the staff attentive to all needs.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank mcoj
NovotelSaigon, General Manager at Novotel Saigon Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Dear mcoj,

Thank you for your kind feedback, I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am looking forward to welcoming you back soon at Novotel Saigon Centre.

Thanks,

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Poor services from reception to dining area. Breakfast buffet is served with limited choices of food. Waiters were grumpy, like they can't wait for everyone to leave so they can stop servicing. I ordered for a bowl of pho and the cook just left it on the counter for 15mins. He didn't bother to ask someone to bring it to my table or remind me to take it. Checking out was annoying as staff tried applying an unfavorable exchange rate.

A total disappointment!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
NovotelSaigon, General Manager at Novotel Saigon Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear Thuy T,

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to inform us of the difficulties you have encountered during your last visit. We are most concerned with the satisfaction of all our guests and your feedback will allow us to adjust and better our services and facilities.

The experience you describe cause us deep concern and I wish to apologies for the unfortunate circumstances of your stay. This does not reflect the usual service and quality at Novotel Saigon Centre.

I hope you will accept my deepest apologies and that this experience will not impair your confidence in Novotel.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Pleasant stay at this hotel despite problems with water supply on first night (transferred to 5*hotel at no extra cost) would highly recommend customer service is excellent as is the breakfast .taxi from the airport to this hotel only cost $10 and takes only 15 minutes.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
NovotelSaigon, General Manager at Novotel Saigon Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear ecclesdarren,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed it.

If you have a chance to come back to Saigon, please do not hesitate to let me know if there is anything I can assist with