“Don't count your chickens (room) at Novotel Ho Chi Minh” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Novotel Saigon Centre Hotel

Novotel Saigon Centre Hotel
Ranked #33 of 448 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
principal@campbellsbay.school.nz
“Don't count your chickens (room) at Novotel Ho Chi Minh”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

The Context: The room had been booked and paid for weeks in advance. The hotel had been selected because of its location to a number of business appointments for that day.

The Scene at Reception: 9.00 am after getting up at 3.30am for the early morning flight from Hanoi. Novotel declines to provide us with our room as they had made the decision to give the room to guests who wanted to stay another night. No room at the inn for us.

In spite of being told of the need to stay at Novotel because of location the of appointments Novotel gave us no choice but to accept their offer of accommodation at The Pullman. Nothing wrong with that except it was in the wrong part of the city for us.

The Result: We moved to The Pullman and played 'catch up' for the rest of the day with our appointments.

The Verdict: Very disappointing, Novotel. A poor decision on your part.

The Moral: Don't count on Novotel even when you have booked and paid. Sad.

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank boofhead3
NovotelSaigon, General Manager at Novotel Saigon Centre Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear boofhead3,

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to inform us of the difficulties you have encountered during your last visit in April.

The experience you describe causes us deep concern and I wish to apologise for the unfortunate circumstance of your last booking with us. This does not reflect the usual service and quality at Novotel Saigon Centre.

I hope you will accept my deepest apologies and this experience will not impair your confidence in Novotel.

H7965-gm@accor.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

I stayed here for a business trip in Feb 2014. Basically a nice business hotel, with a friendly & helpful staff. One special mention for Mr Nhon - the bellboy who was nice enough to pass on an envelope to my contact.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank mukund_dusad
NovotelSaigon, General Manager at Novotel Saigon Centre Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear NZTraveller20,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us on Tripadvisor. I am hightly appreciated your comments and hope to see you again in Novotel Saigon Centre.

Southland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights and found this Novotel to be in total contrast to the one in Nha Trang. Whilst the staff were friendly enough it was also all quite impersonal. The room layout was almost identical to the Novotel at Auckland airport and was fine but nothing special. Breakfast was the biggest disappointment give all the other places we have stayed in Vietnam. You would have thought the fresh fruit selection would have included the best seasonal fruit from the nearby Mekong Delta instead of tinned fruit, unripe pears and unripe melon. The roof top bar serves nice tapas but you will need to put up with the rave/dance music which can't be escaped from

• Stayed April 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
NovotelSaigon, General Manager at Novotel Saigon Centre Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear NZTraveller20,

Thank you for your feedback. I am a little bit surprise on your comments concerning the fresh fruit buffet display. Yes indeed we offer some slides of pears & peaches together with our homemade yogurt but also a large variety of fresh fruit from the Mekong Delta next to the bread station.

I hope I will be able to show you during your next stay with us the variety of local fresh fruit we are offering to our guest for breakfast

I am looking forward to welcoming you back personally in Novotel Saigon Centre.

h7965-gm@accor.com
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

I had a overall good stay given the hotel was relatively new. The rooms were clean but small. TV was very rather small as well.
The biggest problem I had was the internet, I could log on and surf the net but I could not down load my emails on my laptop, I thought I was my computer's problem but as soon as I left the hotel and logged on the internet at the airport lounge my emails worked fine. So I stayed in the hotel for 3 days and could not hardly do any work therefore I don't think I will be back again. I hope their IT dept resolve this.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
NovotelSaigon, General Manager at Novotel Saigon Centre Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear VictorCity,

Thank you for taking some of your time to send us your comments. I am pleased to know that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am surprise about your comments on internet connection, I will see right away with our IT manager what was the issue in your room internet connection during your stay.

I hope to see you soon in Novotel Saigon Centre.

Taipei, Taiwan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Last time I stayed things went very poorly. This time everything was okay with the front desk, chieckin, checkout, lounge, and fitness center. The room service food was good and delivered promptly even though they told me they had a lot of orders. The poor delivery staff was sweating quite a bit when he came in.
My two problems this time are with the restaurant and reservations. The restaurant is terrible, full stop. The first day I arrived I had lunch in the restaurant. I noticed quite a bit of smoke in the air the moment the elevator doors opened to the restaurant. It smelled like a BBQ in the restaurant. I had my lunch, which was quite good food, and went off to my meeting. The first thing my colleague said to me was that I smelled like food. This was not the impression I was hoping for. I had the same problem with breakfast and could smell the food on me for the next few hours. I thought about demanding to have my food delivered to my room, but I knew that would be a losing argument. The hotel really needs to either service the existing exhaust system or look at installing a better one. Second, the placemats in the restaurant are not changed after use. This is a health hazard and just gross to think about. Food, used utensils, bones from food, and who knows what else are placed on the mats by those before you, and the mats are NOT disinfected before you sit down to use. Really gross. I refused to use. Last, the chef made me the worst scrambled eggs I have ever had in my life. In fact, I couldn't finish them. I don't know what he did to them, but it was certainly the first time I have ever had to send back scrambled eggs! Oh, and I forgot to mention that the restaurant was dirty every time I went there. There was food on the floor and crumbs on tables that were obviously NOT from the current meal period. To sum it up, the restaurant, including the well-intentioned but undertrained staff, was disappointing.
The reservations department disappointed me by holding me to the last night of my stay when my travel plans changed. I tried to explain that I would be back to HCMC soon and would be happy to use that night and more. They didn't even discuss and refused immediately. That's not what I have experienced in other hotels that I visit frequently.
I will be back, but the restaurant is really a problem and needs to be addressed. I can't walk around smelling like a BBQ all day in business meetings.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear jchanlifat,

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to inform us of the difficulty you have encountered during your last visit.
The experience you describe causes us deep concern and I wish to apologise. I have planned a meeting this afternoon with my team in order to make sure that those unacceptable mistakes will not be repeated in Novotel Saigon Centre.
I hope you will accept my deepest apologies and that this experience will not impair your confidence at Novotel.
Thank you for your kind comment on the room service. I am looking forward to welcoming you back personally at Novotel Saigon Centre

australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

We returned to this hotel for 7 days beginning of April. 12 months from last visit, everything was up to the great standard that we had received last year. We were upgraded to an Executive Suite on the 19th Floor with a fantastic view over Saigon, The hotel had arranged a pickup from the Airport and we had rather a hairy ride back to the hotel, Think the driver needed to slow down and not be so impatient. We did feel rather unsafe. Other than that our stay was excellent and could not fault this hotel for anything, very clean, nice rooms and great service all around.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone and deserves. 5 star rating,

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear shazgirl3,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. If I can ever be of assistance or service to you, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. It would be our pleasure to welcome you again to Novotel Saigon Centre.