“nice hotel and staff”

Ranked #87 of 453 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Vienna, United States
“nice hotel and staff”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We were here briefly-came in late to the city and was picked up early to go to the Mekong Delta for a cruise. The staff was nice but could only recommend one restaurant which was ok. Be very careful walking around in Ho Chi Minh City. Do not carry a purse or camera. We were literally there for one hour and someone drove up on a scooter and grabbed my daughter's shoulder bag and yanked her into the street where she was bruised and scraped and really shaken up. We managed to get her bag back since the boys were thrown from the scooter since she fought back pretty hard. There were literally 50 people on the street and guards feet away when this happened and noone did much. The staff at the hotel was very kind and dressed her wounds.

Room Tip: Rooms are small but clean. We spent little time in the room. Breakfast was a buffet and fine
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank C. Leslie M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Seattle
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

We booked 3 rooms for my family of 6, and stayed 6 nights separated by an excursion in the middle of our stay. We are Vietnamese-Americans and spesk fluent Vietnamese. There are many aspects about this hotel that are excellent, but there are a few critical areas which lacked attention and require immediate corrections by management. To be fair, I need to break up my evaluation of different areas rather than misleading my assessment with one overall score.

Location: 5 stars. Excellent. If walking 7 minutes to the city landnark Cho Ben Thanh too much for you, 2 minute taxi ride will cost you about 15,000 dong, or less than $1 USD.

Amenities: 5 stars. Large, open and bright entry, lobby, and breakfast areas are very inviting. Made a great first impression on me. These rooms are filled with glass, marble, and light. Bath tub new and essay to operate.

Cleanliness: 4 stars. Rooms are clean and well-maintained. Though some bath towels are tainted with what appears to be blood and brown-streak stains. I suggest all these towels be taken out of circulation immediately. Mold growing on caulks near sinks should be removed as they are spotted rather than left to accumulate in large visible quantity.

Staff exterior security: 5 stars. Oh, so helpful, polite, and happy. All of them. All hours. We came back from a day trip and it was pouring down rain. Hard rain. The security guard hopped to his feet, took the beach umbrella and walked us all in from taxi. The bellman jumped in too and both helped us carried in our things. They got soaked in the process. It is these moments where excessive tipping is so appropriate.

Staff front desk / Bell man: 1 Star. There is a day bellman who is very helpful and uses common sense when helping guests. I asked him to find a place to unlock my US phone for me so I can use it in VN. He came back later and said the cost was too high relative to the value of the phone so he didn't do it. Smart. However, I cannot extend that level of review to the rest of the front office staff. They seemed unfriendly, responses are short and filled with work-avoidance.

- "Can you mail this post card for me? " "No, we don't sell stamps. "
- "Can I borrow a USB charger? " "No, we don't have that connector." "Where can a connector be bought? " "Up the street. "

Hotel staff is supposed to offer solutions and make guests' stay most enjoyable. I get too many "no's" from this hotel staff.

The ultimate act of 3rd-world mistake was when the hotel staff argued with me for 15 minutes trying to get me to pay for 6 bottles of tea my family did not drink from room fridges. I checked out at 4:30AM to catch an early flight. The bellman inspected the 3 fridges in my 3 rooms and concluded that we drank their sweet tea bottles and replaced them with different 6 bottles. He knows this because the hotel version has a red band and the "normal" version does not. Mind you, my children does not drink this stuff. But he insists that we all drank their versions and must pay for them. And these bottles in the fridges are not theirs even though they are exact bottles, exact sizes, exact lavels, and exact brand. Since I am the only person in the family carrying money, and I did not buy 6 bottles of sweet tea, and my children did not drink any hotel sweet teas, I know these guys are trying to make money off of me. I explained to them and said I refuse to pay a penny for these bottles because we didn't touch them. Funny thing is the bellman was driving most of the conversation telling the front desk guy what to do. He told the front desk to charge me for 3 only. I refused and told him as a matter of principle, I refuse to pay a single penny for the drinks I did not touch. The bellman pulled the guilt trip and said they are going to have to pay for the drinks themselves and buy new drinks for the hotel. So, me paying for 3 drinks is fair. Taxi loaded, family buckled in, but am still at the lobby arguing about the tea bottles. Finally, I've had. Am not paying. They are not credible. Reminds me of the Vietnam 20 years ago when these scams were common against tourists. The front desk guy finally agreed.

The funny thing is 2 weeks later we returned to the hotel to complete our reservations, only to discover that our fridges were filled with yellow and red band tea bottles. What happened to the "we only carry one color bottle?" Our new rooms are 3 floors above the previously - assigned rooms so it confirms that there are no set rim colors on the bottles. This was a distasteful experience to am otherwise wonderful hotel.

Breakfast: 4 stars. Plentiful foods and spans a great range of culinary tastes. A full range of westen style breakfast like bacon and sausages through vietnamese soups superbly prepared daily. I would list the breakfast to be the top 5% of hotels in its class. Where the hotel lost a point is in the lack of attentiveness by its staff to details like refilling tea and coffee for guests, or requiring that their serving staff to refrain from touching their own ears, noses, lips,... with their serving hands. Yes, we notice when the staff picks its noses, however brief.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MarinaEdmonds
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This hotel is in a good, central position and is very tastefully decorated, although the rooms are small.The breakfast buffet was OK, and the free tea and coffee in your room is very welcome. The only reason I have not given it 5 stars is that when I asked if I might have some milk or creamer for my tea I was told I could purchase a glass for 20 VND (about 60p). I realise that in this part of the world they do not usually take milk in tea but it seemed an odd response to a simple request which I would not have expected from a hotel of this standard.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LyndaNixon
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This centrally located hotel was well suited to our family of four with interconnected rooms (a rarity in Vietnam). Staff friendly. Rooms clean and comfortable. The Ben Thanh markets are a short walk. Having computers in the room was great. Breakfast was varied and extensive. We were grateful for being able to store luggage while we did a Mekong Delta homestay. We recommend.

Room Tip: For more than two people ask for interconnected rooms.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank gillianscott28
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Hotel was clean and good location, being very accessible to the Ben Thanh market. Staff also able to communicate with English speaking guests. Breakfast was filling but expect the same fare everyday. Too bad they can't recommend any other restaurants. They seem to not want to commit and recommend any other place but the one on the next street. The tour group used by the hotel is also good and with good English speaking guides. Hotel didn't have a restaurant though so expect to venture out for lunch and dinner.

Room Tip: room on the higher floor and at the back were quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Doris B
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My impression of this hotel room is clean. However during my stayed i noticed that those male clerks don't look so friendly, hardly smile as compare to the bell boy or even the security guard.
Location while is so so if you dare to dash through a few nasty roads to Ben thanh market or the night market.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank bayt2110
Pompey
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed here during a week's tour of Vietnam. The hotel reception staff were very friendly and helpful throughout our stay. The accommodation itself is very clean and comfortable and the hotel is centrally located. There was a PC in the room with free wifi. The breakfast could not be faulted; there was an extensive choice and the staff are on hand to cook you fresh food such as omelettes. We would definitely stay at this hotel again should we ever re-visit Ho Chi Minh City.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple