“In the Center of District 1”

Saigon River Boutique Hotel
Ranked #98 of 457 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Nambucca Heads NSW
“In the Center of District 1”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We stayed as a couple for 3 nights in a family room during March.
Location is excellent and is within walking distance of all tourist sites, restaurants and markets in District 1. Saigon in March in the afternoons is very hot
Staff are friendly and show an interest in your activities, they are the strength of the hotel.
Breakfast is served on 7th floor (lift only goes to 5th) and is somewhat limited but OK, we also had drinks and a lunch during our stay which was very enjoyable.
Lounge and dining area on 7th floor are an easy climb for the last 2 floors and offer a relaxed atmosphere and limited view of the river.
Room was compact and contained a double and a single and beds which where firm. Room has larger than normal fridge and quaint old safe key operated for your valuables which offers more storage then usual.
Overall a good choice for a couple of days if you have a full itinerary as it is quick and easy to get about.

Room Tip: Try to get the larger a larger room if a couple
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
hestercoombe, Owner at Saigon River Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Thank you for coming to stay at SGR Hotel and we appreciate that you took time out during your travels to write a review.
Feel I should mention that there are actually two breakfast options, but suspect our new staff member may have been remiss in not offering the second option to you. There is the basic inclusive menu, which most guests appreciate as it enables guests to keep their traveling costs down. The second menu is much more extensive and you simply pay extra for the choices you make, with for example the SGR Hotel ' Big Breakfast' being the most popular choice.
We do offer a variety of room sizes amongst the sixteen rooms in the hotel and cannot resist mentioning that actually some of our guests are long term and soon become part of the hotel's life and similarly we also have a great many guests who are return guests and it is always so enjoyable to great them when they return. I hope there will be an opportunity to welcome you back in the future too.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Dear Daniel and the rest of the wonderful staff at Saigon River Boutique Hotel,

Thank you for having us last week.

We really had a blast staying at your hotel and the help rendered to us by Daniel certainly went above and beyond the call of duty.

Having traveled extensively and staying in numerous hotels before, the services rendered at your hotel wins the rest hands down.

And I am talking about big names such as REX, Novotel and Sheraton.

You guys make me feel like I am coming home where everyone is always beaming with a big warm smile.

So much so that we will be staying with you guys again the next time I visit HCMC again.

Aside to Ram and Tim (I hope I got the names right),

You guys got a winning formula in making this hotel successful and it was great chatting with you on the rooftop.

I believe you will give the rest of the hotels a run for their money.

Buildings and furnishings are only the infrastructure; your staff give the hotel the soul.

And you got a great team giving your hotel a wonderful soul.

Cheers,
Patrick

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
hestercoombe, Owner at Saigon River Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Stop stop! More more! Almost blushing from your such glowing remarks, but I really want to thank you, as our aim is to care for our guests as if they were visiting our family home and that is how it felt for us too when you were staying with us recently. It was such a pleasure having you to stay and I am sure all our staff felt the same, touched by your kind spirit.
Daniel has become an iconic member of our staff and really takes on a valued ownership of our business, appreciated by myself and partner Tim, as well as valued guests.
You almost got the owners names right. Tim is correct, but Ram should have been Graeme, but I was amused as I was a sheep farmer in Australia for many years, so Ram became a humorous reference to my past.
I will be a blast for us to welcome you back in the near future and trust you will feel equally at home, this time.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Lovely small hotel in perfect location. My room was clean and comfortable to stay and friendly staff are always helpful especially Daniel at the reception. I would love to be back here when I have a chance to visit Ho Chi Minh City again. Thank you !!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank sezarpontsu
Thank you for coming to stay with us again and so happy that you were comfortable and well cared for. Daniel is indeed the embodiment of hospitality, really aiming to please our guests with spirit, practicality and good humor.
Everyone finds the location to be perfect really and that is why we were attracted to the site too. Location, location, location!
We really are so delighted when we have guests who keep to returning to stay with us as you do and of course really hope it is not too long before you join 'the family' at SGR Hotel once again.
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

Boutique?! Another fake name: only goid thing about this hotel is centra l location close to river. Stinky Chinese without education sleeping in reception, no window mini room full of mosquitos (agoda booking), etc.avoid.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 411yvesd
hestercoombe, Owner at Saigon River Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
To be honest I am a little disappointed in myself that I just did not ignore your offensive and arrogant review, but out of respect for my staff I must respond.
I watched footage of your arrival, which was at 2:30am. Our hotel is a small hotel and I do not expect our night door man to remain awake for the full night. He sleeps across the entrance to ensure that no one can enter, which is very much the custom in Vietnam. I was hugely offended that you referred to this charming and always personally well groomed and charming young Vietnamese man, as a "stinky Chinese". What planet are you living one, bearing in mind that this is simply how many of your own country men are better thought of for their cologne, than for their personal hygiene.
Your partner had apparently arrived earlier and had settled into your chosen room, which was the cheapest we offer. We may have the occasional mosquito, but then you are visiting a tropical country and rarely are these annoying insects cause for any concern from previous guest using these small rooms. The room was windowless indeed, so one has to wonder how the room filled with mosquitoes and why your partner never notified reception, prior to your arrival. Our receptionist, can speak French, excellent English, a little Thai, Cambodian, Russian, German and a smattering of other languages, excels in customer service, humor and never smells,so I am sure he would have addresses any issues you may have raised, should you have raised them.
JeanPaul Satre once wrote in regards to visual creators, that whether the artist painted a landscape, or still life, he always painted a portrait of themselves and suspect that your offensive comments were more a portrait of yourself. I have stopped thinking that the customer is always right. You booked only for one night and fortunately continued your journey after a few hours at our hotel and one has to wonder what depth there is to your life, that you can be so harsh, without being open enough to experience all that others have endlessly found to be positive during their stay.
Sent from my iPad
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

2 Thank 411yvesd
Melbourne
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I needed to book one night in Saigon before I returned to AU. I also wanted to stay in the Dong Khoi area without the Dong Khoi prices.

When I booked here (through Agoda) my expectations weren't high considering the price. I booked a Standard room as I wasn't planning to spend much time in my room.

Walking through the front door just blew me away. WOW if you like eclectic, funky, clever decor - this will amaze you. So fresh and stylish. Whilst checking in I was offered a refreshing drink and Daniel checked me in, quickly and efficiently. (Loved the jackets the reception staff wore)

The doorman took my bags upto room 402. What a surprise! Granted there was no window (which I expected and is quite common in all of Vietnam) the mirrored wall made the room seem larger. Overall the the room was had all I needed, comfy bed, fridge, jug, WIFI, desk and a walk in shower with a great dual shower head.

The roof top restaurant and bar are on the 7th floor. You need to walk from level 5, but not a big deal. It was perfect, wonderful breezes and a view to the river. You could spend hours up there relaxing, reading a book enjoying a coffee. I rarely eat in the hotels I stay at, but I loved the roof top area so much I ate there. The meals were good and well priced. Breakfast was either a choice from a set menu (included in your room rate) or from the menu. Freshly baked baguette, omelette and brewed coffee did it for me.

This is a boutique hotel, don't go there expecting 5 star. I would stay there again, but book the next level of room as I would be staying longer. Job well done to the owners, Daniel, Kelvin and the gorgeous girl in the restaurant who I managed to confuse dreadfully.

The location is brilliant, such a beautiful area to stay in.
Yep, I am a big fan and so happy I found SRBH. I will back next year.

Room Tip: Room 402 is a standard room with no window. It was clean, well lit and very comfortable.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank maggss_12
hestercoombe, Owner at Saigon River Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Love at first sight is exciting and how fortunate our hotel is to have some one who is so bright, vivacious and generous, to fall in love with it.
Very please that you love our reception area, as we really wanted something that was vibrant and contemporary to provide a fresh option for travelers. One year after opening we wanted to add to our fresh look by introducing a new uniform for our reception staff that was also stylish and youthful. The staff were wrapped, so I am glad you responded well too.
We have no ambitions to be a five star hotel, but do always aim to be creative, super friendly and importantly really care for our guests.
I agree with you that the location is great and really hope we can welcome you back again soon, to discover more of this fascinating SE Asian city.
Broome, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 25 February 2014

In Old Saigon, with the famous old Continental Hotel only a stroll away, we found our balcony room just fine for savouring this city, leaving on foot most days (of the five we had) after a light rooftop breakfast with the ebullient maitre'd. Full marks also to the comfy rooftop back lounge for chilling/emailing/web etc, with an excellent in-house sound system.
Obviously with a front room overlooking daily life on the street, you get some traffic noise but it's not frantic.
Caught up in our room with musician friends in town and the mini-bar was magically replenished (!). Gourmet eating or markets' fare is also easily accessed nearby, as is the Saigon River itself.
Cleverly tucked in amongst some big namer, we enjoyed relaxing in the pleasant sunny room and the responsive service, thanks to Kelvin.

Room Tip: Location of this boutique hotel is ideal if you want to see District 1 on foot.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Simon M
Thank you for your kind response to your stay at SGR Hotel. So pleased that you enjoyed being with us and as owners of the hotel we both have creative back grounds, similar to yourself. Mine in contemporary art and my partner with studies in music, which flow on into what is important to us and the direction of the hotel. We once stayed in a four star hotel in Dalat, which played the same track over and over during breakfast, for the four days we stayed there. I was ready to buy a gun, so just as well there wasn't a fifth day and that low bench mark has stayed in my mind, so welcomed your positive comments about our sound system. I am sorry we did not have the opportunity to meet, so I hope SG will lure you back again.