“The Best of the Boutique Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City!”

Saigon River Boutique Hotel
Ranked #96 of 458 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“The Best of the Boutique Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City!”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I'll never stay anywhere else when I'm looking for a hotel in HCMC. Friendly staff, great location (right in the heart of District 1 - "Downtown" - but away from the traffic. Easy walk to all the major tourist destinations in central Saigon. And I love their roof-top cafe with a view to the river. Exactly my kind of place: modern, smart and chic but also totally comfortable and no pretense.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
hestercoombe, Owner at Saigon River Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Oh now I am blushing from your kind review, but many thanks for you kind and encouraging remarks.
We do strive to provide for our guests in the best way possible within an affordable budget. It is important to us that we bring something creative and new to the hospitality scene in Vietnam, not forgetting the human element of old fashioned care, sense of fun, happiness and healthiness all rolled into one.
So happy you picked up on those vibes and hope we can welcome you back in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Garden Grove, California
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I've visited Ho Chi Minh City many time and this was the best hotel I've stayed in while visiting. The staff was friendly and always helpful. The extra charge for being met at the airport was worth it. It's in a good neighborhood, close to shopping and important sights, but not in the middle of it all. The room was clean and comfortable. The decor was fun. Great roof restaurant with nice view.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
hestercoombe, Owner at Saigon River Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for your warm thanks and how special it is when you come to understand and see how much our guest how settled in and enjoyed the hotel, our staff and location. The hotel was reborn only a few years ago, but how rewarding it is for us now as owners, to be able to welcome so many compatible guests. We really hope we can welcome you back to our hotel again in the near future, particularly as you have such depth to your link with Vietnam.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my boyfriend for 4 nights while travelling. The hotel was very accomodating, organising airport transfers for us both as we were arriving on separate flights. There was a member of staff waiting with a bottle of water and to take our bags as each of us came out of arrivals. It really gave the trip a good start, as I was travelling on my own from Cambodia and my boyfriend had just travelled 18 hours from Ireland. It was however, double the price of getting a normal taxi but we enjoyed it. We stayed in a deluxe double room so we had our own balcony and it had plenty of space. Shower was very powerful and the staff were very helpful in booking us tours, advising us where to go and also proving quite handy as translators with taxis! (One of the staff members speaks English as though it is his first language - accent and everything!). The location is perfect. So many cool cafés and you are a short walk to the night market. Would stay again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your encouraging review and appreciate that you felt that we provided inexpensive accommodation. Our aim is to be able to welcome a broad range of guests, care for them and provide a happy, healthy and creative environment to stay. This includes our airport pick up, which although it is certainly more costly than just choosing a taxi yourself, we have developed the service to eliminate any stresses which unfortunately had become all to prevalent, with drivers over charging and behaving in a less than welcoming or professional manner. It really is a non profit service we provide.
It was generous of you to express your appreciation of our staff member's ability to speak English, succinctly and laced with Western humor, which I hope made you feel at home and able to have your travel requests satisfied. Of course we really encourage our staff to develop themselves professionally in many ways, but receiving a compliment such as your could not have brought about a broader smile for the staff member concerned, so thank you for that.
The hotel is certainly well located and feel rewarded that you enjoyed the neighborhood and of course now wish you well for your ongoing travels.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Here are the pros and cons of the hotel:
PROS OF HOTEL
- good location
- edible breakfast (fine for a basic hotel)
- clean bathroom
CONS
- the entire room stank to high heaven of mothballs. It was quite overpowering and we never got used to it.
- the shower didn't work. Literally didn't work. We called reception and the receptionist came upstairs to view it. He said it only works on the cold tap - how Useful.... No apology, no alternative, nothing.
- the fridge didn't work. The light was on but the temperature wouldn't go below room temp.
- there was a plug socket hanging out the wall behind the fridge.

Beware also if you book the cheapest room available on agoda (£20) there's pretty much no room to walk around the bed. I wouldn't hold this against the hotel though as it is in a very central location. However, looking on trip advisor I would say you could get a much better deal elsewhere.

Based on other negative reviews I imagine the hotel owner will respond to this review by saying we stole the water pressure(!) whilst perhaps quoting Socrates or Wittgenstein. Take this as you will.

Room Tip: Don't do it!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Holiday249
hestercoombe, Owner at Saigon River Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
I am so sorry that your stay at SGR Hotel was less than satisfactory and upset that you felt that our usually attentive and helpful staff had failed to provide satisfactory assistance when addressing the problems you raised. Hotels of all types are rather like people of all types and can be quirky and things may not operate the way one expects or are used to. I have checked with the staff and it seems that when our staff member operated the shower, which was only recently installed, that the shower immediately worked and then he followed up by demonstrating that it was indeed working to you. It should not be rocket science to operate a shower, but I sometimes feel like that trying to operate remotes for a. TV. He was not Wittenstien of course, but he is quite practical and maybe just had the magic touch. Funnily enough when I checked with the staff member about the issue, a young French traveller was just checking out from the same room and reported that nothing had been an issue for him, in that room. Of course things do go wrong and we are constantly carrying out maintenance, as one expects to and of course pleased when guests report any issues. I am sorry that you felt that there was a lack of care, but also surprised and hope you noted the many positive comments about the trouble shooting staff member and wish you left the hotel feeling the same.
As an owner of the hotel I spend quite a lot of each day chatting to guests, not with the wisdom of Socrates, but we imagine that we have a handle on the issues of the world, so I am sorry that I did not have the chance to talk to you, simply to offer my apologies without pomp or ceremony.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed for 2 weeks in a cheaper room – one without windows. There was a large TV, a large bed, and a surprisingly large shower that ran hot water at all times when I needed it. If one is planning a lot of touring, this room was terrific for sleeping, quiet, dark, and cool with the aircon. Moreover, the hotel was a few steps from the main street of Dong Khoi and only about a block from the Saigon River.
A free breakfast was provided, which was filling and tasty. If one is really famished, one can order more, but pay for the extras. The breakfast was served on the rooftop restaurant, on the 7th floor of the hotel, where one had a sliver view of the river below (unfortunately, a high-rise in construction constricted the formerly panoramic site. The staff was friendly. Thomas the cook spoke English, and Patrick the waiter was learning. Patrick also helped patrons who needed to use the only hotel computer so we could get on line. Though the temperatures were about 95F, 33C, there was a cool breeze on the roof restaurant.
There were some negatives about the hotel. The electricity went off one afternoon, and my room without a window, was suddenly like a cave. But staff worked on it and the juice was flowing after about 20 minutes. I had no trouble after that. A warning to some possible patrons – the pleasant restaurant is on the 7th floor, but the elevator goes only to the 5th, so one must walk 2 flights. If a visitor has leg problems, they may not be able to reach the roof.
On the positive side, the room provided an excellent shower, a comfortable bed, a large TV, and adjustable aircon. I got an easy quiet sleep, even unaware of a storm outside one day. The hotel is inexpensive, and it is in the heart downtown HCMC (Saigon), near the river, the Opera House, Viacom Center, etc. Bottom line, the hotel was worth the stay.

Room Tip: Room without a window was extremely quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Hugh M
hestercoombe, Owner at Saigon River Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
We have some guests who stay with us for several months at a time, generally for business, return to their home country and then join us again after a nice break. The average stay for general travelers is for four nights and it is of course pleasing when many guests extend their bookings, because they love being in SG, maybe have even fallen in love, but generally also because they feel at home at SGR. Hotel.
Thank you for your kind review, as your one of our guests who fall into the later category. Guests can quite quickly become like family to our staff and as you remember many staff member's names, your openness and spirit proved to be the catalyst for establishing a good friendships between everyone.
Sai Gon rarely suffers from power outages these days which is fortunate, so you were unlucky to have to experience that. It makes one realize how much we rely on the power for so much. As in this case the power was soon restored and I could almost ' pop a cork' with relief when the A/C, fans etc etc begin to roll again. We appreciated your patience.
Indeed the roof top terrace requires a little climb, but somehow that adds to the surprise of arriving in a lovely leafy environment where you can take in some interesting slices of city views, including the Sai Gon River, after which the hotel was named.
Your a kind traveller to take the time to write a review of the hotel and I know you will be much welcomed when you travel back this way again. Many thanks!
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I live in Vietnam and travel to HCM a great deal and stay here as its so well located... great food on the roof terrace. The price is right as well. Trendy and a reasonable price.. Owners are great Aussie guys and very helpful. So is the rest of the team.

Room Tip: I stay at the back of the hotel.. they have smaller internal rooms and they are quiet and great valu...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Some one said to me recently, "You have a lot of friends and family visit you" and I realized that what they said was quite true. I am one of the Australian owners of the hotel and feel fortunate that I have many family members visit me and also friends, friends of friends and of course many great regular guests who amazingly come to stay with us from all corners of the globe. They gradually become good friends and ultimately could almost sneak in is family, which is exactly what makes us happy.
I love SG and have never tired of this lovely quarter of the city, which has so much to offer and enrich. I live here permanently, but still feel that I have only just scratched the surface of things to see and do.
Thank you for your warm review and thank you for being such a great regular guest. See you soon!
Ballarat, VIC, Australia
Reviewed 27 May 2014

This hotel was absolutely fabulous. It was in the best location, surrounded by beautiful restaurants and shops but just far enough away from the crazy bit of town to feel relaxed and get a good nights sleep.

Every morning we headed up to the roof top bar and had a beautiful breakfast and amazing coffee and planned the day, it was a real escape and sometimes we didnt feel like leaving!!

A lot of thought has been put into the decor, with a stylish european twist. The thought that has gone into the decor reflects the care the owners and staff have for the customers. The decor is like no other hotel I saw in saigon, sophisticated, stylish and comfortable.

The staff couldnt have been more helpful and really made our stay. They were extremely informative and Daniel spoke amazing english which makes things very easy!!! People must appreciate and respect his amazing work ethic, especially being so young.

I can't understand why anyone would make a negative comment, particularly the ' crappy' comment. I can't believe any of that would be true, he must have been in the wrong country to make such racist remarks!!

I can't wait to go back I will definitely stay there again, especially being so cheap.

Thank you so much guys. Can't wait to come back. The kids are ready to come back!!!!

Room Tip: Family room, fabulous.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
hestercoombe, Owner at Saigon River Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you so much for the very positive review. It made me think you must have an understanding of hospitality and that you appreciate fully, the intention behind running SGR Hotel.
It was a joy to have you staying with us with your delightful children and it made us happy to see our room family room fully utilized, creating a happy atmosphere for the hotel.
In creating the hotel we took care to provide interiors of a less traditional nature and in doing so hope that the more contemporary design was a refreshing environment to come home to every day.
I agree with you about the positive location of the hotel and although I spend almost everyday there I never loose a fascination for the vibrancy of that particular slice of historic District one.
Thank you for your compliments directed to our senior staff member Daniel who always works so hard to make everyone happy and has developed quite a Western sense of humor that adds to the fun. I think he is blessed with a real desire to care for people and I am endlessly grateful for his contribution to the life of the hotel and for slowing the rate that my hair turns grey.
It would be a total joy to welcome you and your family back to SGR Hotel and trust that it will be in the not too distant future.