“Far from the City and just shoddy facilities..”

Ramana Hotel Saigon
Ranked #171 of 475 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed 1 December 2012

We stayed at the Ramana Hotel 4 weeks ago for 2 nights. I was first given a room with a view of the back of another building. I had to kick a fuss in order to upgrade. In my original booking through asiarooms.com I had specified that I wanted a room with a nice view! The reception staff are rude, unhelpful and are happy to leave you waiting at the desk whilst they answer a phonecall. Our porter was very nice and helpful though. The reception is grand but the rest of the hotel is sub-standard. When you walk you can feel how cheap and worn out the carpet is.

I was given a token to use the Steam & Sauna room but the facilities were not to standard. Sitting in the jet-pool one could see rust and there was a sewage smell in the jet-pool. The Sauna and steam room were good though. When I tried using the Steam room, the receptionist tried to flog me a massage and was quite forceful about it. It left a bad taste in my mouth. Even though we were given a 30 min free foot-massage, me and my partner didn't bother cashing it in. The "gym" turned out to be few old-fashioned treadmills and an all-in-one body-building kit. The swimming pool was OK but nothing special.

Breakfast was horrendous as the hotel's main clientele are Chinese/Asian people so there was nothing but deep fried and stir-fried stuffs and some fruits. We just had a baguette each and butter and jam. It was a shame as we had paid $3 extra to include breakfast. The next day we didn't bother with breakfast at the hotel.

Location-wise it is around 20 minutes away from the main hub and it'll cost around 60,000 - 70,000 vietnamese dong for every journey in and out of the main hub.

Finally when we were checking out they made a fuss about a missing face-cloth!! I was livid and after shouting at the receptionist to hurry-up (as our taxi taking us to the airport had arrived), she then decided to quicken her pace.

Don't stay there, its just not worth the money although its rated as a 4 star.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nish G

Reviewed 19 September 2012

just stayed there for one night but will not come back. The room was smelly, the whole hotel outdated, the staff partly unfriendly and the breakfast nicely decorated but did not make me happy.
negative: outdated, uninterested passive staff, old bed mattresse, smelly room, night shift of staff did not speak much english
positive: nice view from the room over Saigon, good internet connection, toilet quite ok and clean

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank snokie
Reviewed 20 January 2012

The hotel is generally very tired looking & in desperate need of a facelift. The standard is certainly not 4* as they try to maintain - 4* price though so beware!!!!!!! Rooms very large & could be very nice but need a revamp. In fact my room was positively shabby on arrival with the curtains hanging off the rail & the carpet appeared to be very dirty. However the following day the curtains were rectified & carpet appeared to have been cleaned - without any input from self so at least the room attendant was doing a good job. Don't waste your time with the breakfast it is dreadful - the worst coffee that I have ever tasted (not Vietnamese coffee either). Maybe the early birds get a better deal but after 9am forget it.......There is no wi-fi in the rooms although they give you a password for your laptop thus you either have to do your business in the lobby, restaurant or bar using your own device or alternatively use the hotels 3 computers in the lobby which are so close together that you have no privacy. The gift shop is extremely expensive although well stocked. Location of hotel not particularly good certainly if you are a tourist - there are no decent restaurants in the immediate area so you are basically locked in to the hotel for meals unless you go into the city centre by getting a cab on the hotel forecourt.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank linafricasuid
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Stayed for 2 nights and I really enjoyed my stay. The staff over there always smiling and friendly. They have PC at the lobby so you can access internet, just ask the password to log in their computer. However the keyboard have been format to the Vietnam language which i think can be change their setting.

The room is spacious, clean and comfortable.

For those staying there can go for a cheap mani & pedi beside the hotel. There are no restaurants nearby the hotel so I only ate at hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I stayed here as it seemed to be somewhere relatively convenient to the airport the night before I left Vietnam. I was really happy with this hotel and wish I could have stayed longer. I'm not sure how handy it would be to the sightseeing locations in district 1, but it wasn't that much more expensive than a 3 star I stayed in in district 1, and Ramana was a much nicer place. The service was excellent and the rooms were very nice and comfortable. The business centre is open 24hrs and the cafe downstairs seemed very good. There is also a great gift shop.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 May 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 3nights and found the staff very friendly. It is located away from the usual tourist hub. But still only a 20 minute walk to the central city (Reunification Palace etc). The gym had very dated equipment but adequate. There are some local markets within a few minutes walk too, where you can grab breakfast on the run or do some shopping. The Spa which is located on level 4 is open 24hours if you wish to get a massage (I would definitely recommend one at only USD$14 per person for 1 hour). The only thing we didn't like was the live band which plays in the lobby during the evening, we didn't mind the music, it was just too loud to enjoy whilst eating your meal. The noise from the band or the traffic outside could not be heard from our room and the beds are very comfortable. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank towzer00
Reviewed 9 January 2011

My husband and I stayed over Christmas. Staff were more than helpful. They really could not have been nicer. Food was very good. Rooms nice enough, hot water, no problems with AirCon. Hotel is located about 10 minutes from centre (3 us $ by taxi - use Vinasun - were reliable and honest). The location isn't the most scenic but gives you a good idea of local life - close to traditional Market, some nice clothes shops, small pharmacies etc.

• Stayed: December 2010