“They sold our prepaid 3 family rooms to others”

Dragon Palace Hotel
Ranked #182 of 466 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed 20 April 2014

3 family rooms booked and prepaid via agoda. 9 of us arrived to find out they did not keep our rooms and said the rooms were out of order. Wanted to send us to the next door hotel but we don't want that old hotel. After hours of discussion, they said they were overbooked. Came with elder people and one on wheelchair, we had a very "good" start of our family trip. Will tell this to everyone so they can avoid this hotel.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank Travel2006beach

Reviewed 15 April 2014

The negative reviews baffle me as everyone was very friendly.
Lots of smiles, help whenever I needed it.
Made up the room everyday.
No complaints.
About the worst thing was the lift was a little slow.
Helps me learning patience I guess.

Room Tip: rooms in the front have a better view, but cost $10 more per night.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 March 2014

My wife and I stayed in an exec double whilst visiting HCMC, we had room 901, on the 8th floor so had great views and was well away from any street noise. This hotel is right in the mix of the action.

Room was cleaned and refreshed daily

Hotel staff were very helpful, welcoming and polite at all times

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Indeed, a great location in central Saigon, right in the middle of lots of local life and therefore local noise! My room was great...clean...comfortable but I could hear the street noise...but it didn't disturb me too much and didn't stop me sleeping. I found the staff friendly and helpful. Breakfast was fine, especially being able to request eggs the way you wanted them cooked. I had no complaints and it was a great base for exploring the city.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 February 2014

The hotel was a good place to stay for a couple of nights in HCMC. Rooms clean, though the first night I did get some kind of cockroach type insect in my room which I got rid of myself. Otherwise AC works, and the breakfast room was on the 10th floor with lovely views of the city. Breakfast selection was very nice too especially other places I have stayed in.

The reception staff were not too friendly, but I had little to do with them. There was a separate desk for tours and the lady booked a great day tour for me in HCMC with a tour guide and his motorbike, who was brilliant, but they charged me $80, of which he only gets a pittance of that.

The Mekong Delta tour however was terrible. It was never clear what we were doing from one minute to the next. I would book this tour with someone else if you can, it was cheap in that it covered the travel and accommodation overnight in between HCMH and the Cambodian border but there is no way of complaining when things go wrong because I was not coming back to the hotel. They need to research these tours more and have more clarity on what you will be doing.

I would recommend shopping around for tours if you have time.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Hogfather
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I cannot share the views of others on here who complain about the staff as I found them all great particularly the guys who look after the lift area. We also had a great massage while at the hotel and again these were very pleasant.
We had a deluxe park view room with a great wow factor when you enter, the rooms are very well decorated and appointed and if it had not been for the noise from the street this hotel would have had a much higher rating. I cannot believe they have spent so much money decorating these rooms to such a high standard and have not put double glazing in. No matter how nice a room is the whole idea of a bedroom is to sleep which I found impossible. The traffic outside never stops. The hotel is in a very good position with loads of bars and restaurants close by and is well situated for all the numerous tour companies.

Room Tip: Very difficult to say the rooms at the front are great but noisy, the rooms at the back are quiet bu...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

The hotel was fine despite all the bad reviews. Location was great. Rooms were nicer then expected. Mind you we just came from backpacking Nepal. So comparing the two, Vietnam is much nicer & cleaner! In the hotel there's a spa which had an amazing foot massage! And I get a massage everywhere I travel. I give 3.5 stars to the hotel and 4 to the hotel. I really want to give a shout out to the coffee shop across the street called Good Morning Vietnam it's kinda in the park area. The manager Sophia speaks great English & even called another city to help us book our next hotel. Go after 4 when the shops in the park stat to open & the ac gets turned up. We killed about 3 hours there. I give them 5 stars for service!

Stayed: January 2014