“Gotta love the Giant Dragon”

Dragon Palace Hotel
Ranked #197 of 476 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed 19 November 2009

I've stayed at the Giant Dragon in 2007 and returned because the staff were great, the location very convenient and the rooms 'sufficient'. Certainly not luxurious but what would you expect for $20. I found them very clean unlike other reports and felt very secure. The security man even reminded us to lock our door one evening. Staying here is like staying with family and in my opinion, if you treat people in Vn like family...not paid staff, you'll go a long way. Loved our stay, loved HCMC and everywhere else in Vn that I've been too. If you're complaining maybe you expect too much. What would you get in Oz for $20...not even lunch

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 November 2009

Absolutely disgusting. Zero security. Came back from lunch and our door was wide open. Black mould on the walls, and the bathroom was unusable. Lonely Planet suggests this place, but I doubt they've ever visited. The only thing they have going for them is a fabulous location.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank eagleeyesbp
Reviewed 2 August 2009

I,d just like to say that a few years ago this hotel was okay to stay in...Bieng a frequent traveller to Vietnam we have seen this hotel slowly deteriote...The rooms are uncared for ,the bathrooms are shocking and had not been cleaned since the previous occupants.We will be finding a new hotel to be stay at next time..The airconditioner ws broken and leaked water in a room to the point of puddles everywhere.To top it off our ipod went missing from our room...Very dissapointing......

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2009

At first glance, friendly, comfortable, reasonably clean, all you would expect. However door opens in night camera and phones gone!! They were no help what so ever saying it was our fault even though the door was actually unlocked with what I presume to be a key! Staff denied all knowledge and were no help whatsoever. Female at desk appeared friendly helpful etc when we first arrived however this changed so did the attitudes of her family members/staff.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2009

I stayed here after reading about it in the lonely planet. I'm a budget traveller but wanted something more than the $5 a night affairs the other backpackers were seeking out. When I got there they showed me to a filthy room that hadn't been serviced since the last person. Packets of soap and toothbrushes were strewn around, the sheets smelt like sweat and someone else's diarrhea was still in the toilet. I asked them to service the room and they made me sit in the lobby for about 2 mins while one of them threw the superficial rubbish in the bin. They lied and said they had changed the sheets but all they did was pull them up. The breakfast included ended up being a piece of warm bread with butter as they had nothing else left! Bad vibe. Staff didn't apologise once. Cable tV was good though and the room was a generous size.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 February 2009

I've found this hotel via Lonely Planet book. What a horrible hotel! After an exhausting 12 hour trip we arrived there. We saw first room and it was very noisy (right on the corner) and far from clean. We were ready to walk to another hotel, but were offered to see another room. The guy didn't have a key with him (hence he could not turn on lights inside) and we briefly saw it with a light from a corridor (the door was open, I guess it was just cleaned). It looked OK and we were too tired to inspect it, as well as we had to run to meet our friends. We gave our passports, took key, dropped our bags and left. (the room was untouched!).

When we came back, one and a half hours later, we went to the room and it was a horror story! Dirty bed, towels, unfinished bottles of soda in the cabinet, moist on the room and HANGING ELECTRICITY WIRES with some tape over it from the stand next to the bed. That did it for us and we went downstairs, I've explained the situation and said that I understand that I've "used" the room for 2 hours and I was willing to pay prorated rate, but under no conditions we can stay at this hotel.

The person who checked us in was rude, refused to do anything and refused to give us our passports back unless we pay in full! Any reasoning didn't work, as he said that hotel is being sold and he doesn't care!

Luckily they take credit cards and I've paid with credit card (I had to get our passports back), checked out 2 hours after check in (leaving the room intact, actually cleaner as I've threw away soda from the cabinet). Called my credit card company on the way out to stop the charge!

Do yourself a favor and don't set your foot there... there are plenty of better hotel with 1 minute walk from this place which are SUPERIOUR!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 3 December 2008

I'm 17 and i don't no much about hotels but this ones a winner! espically for travellers that are staying over there for a long time.
Sure everyones complaining about there things being stolen but when me and my family stayed there i left my laptop and my money in my room and nothing went, everyone was also saying about the brouchure and there no being a jacuzzi your not staying there for a jacuzzi a bed is more important and plus the staff made it worth while, made so many friends at this hotel they were all so nice, if you planning on going there make sure you ask for 'bin" or 'chin' lovley boys and bin was actually saying we are married but anywayyy, dont diss this hotel is awsome and im deffinatly going back next year without a doubt, 20 buckss!!!! you cant go wrong :)

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)