“Leon Mendels deserves a prize”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Park Hyatt Saigon

Park Hyatt Saigon
Ranked #3 of 448 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
London, United Kingdom
“Leon Mendels deserves a prize”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

The Park Hyatt is a great place to stay in Saigon. The hotel, the room, the service team and the Square One restaurant are all excellent. And deserving of a special mention is Leon Mendels. He was always there giving guests fantastic personal care and attention. Far too rare and it makes such a difference.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank John P
Park-Hyatt-Saigon, General Manager at Park Hyatt Saigon, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear John P,

Thank you very much for your review. It is our passion to serve that drives our actions to make a difference in the lives of our guests everyday. I will personally pass your compliments to Leon.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Sincerely yours,
Jan-Hendrik Meidinger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

This is my 5th visit to Park Hyatt and I am upset by the evolution it has undergone. In my last review, 3 years ago, I praised PH SG for making me really feel At Home. Unfortunately it's not the case anymore. Although overall service quality still gives satisfaction (special thanks to Ngọc and Báo, at Concierge, who provided us with helpful information and assistance for booking tour, opera show and shopping addresses) I can feel that it becomes more impersonal, loosing the small touches which make you feel you are unique and cared for. Also, I feel there was some economy restriction or savings program applied since my last visit, as the number of staff seems to have been reduced. An example: previously I was greeted upon my arrival by 3 people, including a manager; this time I'm greeted by none! Another example: previously there was always a bellboy opening your car or taxi door when you arrive and helping you to carry your bags, now there is none! Restaurants have also changed, the Opera has improved (it has a new Italian chef) but the Square One is now hit & miss (it also has a new chief since my last visit; I ate there twice, once the foods were delicious, the other time they were disappointing). Also, during my last visit, I used to enjoy every night sitting at the bar lounge, drinking tea and listening to the piano bar. This time it's almost impossible, the bar is always full with people coming from the outside (ie not staying at the hotel). It's a pity, PH SG should consider at least some kind of reservation or dedicated corner open only to hotel guests! Despite these shortfalls, I think that PH SG might still be the best in town for the time being. But it should reverse back to past practices well appreciated to fully justify the premium rate you are paying for.
One more thing: be aware if you ask hotel for cash advance (for example, when you ask concierge to buy show tickets or outside tours for you and charge them to your room for convenience) PH SG tries to take 5% "surcharge" on the amount. First time I encounter such move (in my over 15 years travel) and refuse to pay but only the interest on the amount advanced (ie 7% per annum or 0.08% for my 4 days stay). After discussing for half an hour, the hotel agrees to take it out; but the mere fact of trying to take this unjustified "surcharge" is mercantile and unelegant to say the least.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank lolongan
Park-Hyatt-Saigon, General Manager at Park Hyatt Saigon, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Dear lolongan,

First of all I would like to express our sincere gratitude towards your precious feedback and continuous support to Park Hyatt Saigon.

With the information you provided, we have gathered our team and discussed how we could fix these issues as well as improve our services to provide better experiences for you and other guests next time. Please rest assured that we are, as a team, taking this matter very serious and working very hard together.

Again, I would like to thank you for your trust in Park Hyatt Saigon and do hope that you would come back soon to see how we will have changed.

I wish you health and happiness.

Warmest regards,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Hands down the Park Hyatt is one of the most luxurious and relaxing hotels I have had the pleasure of staying in. The staff could not have been more helpful and the room we had was exquisitely furnished. We ate in the hotel on one of the evenings and the food was fine dining done very well. In terms of price and location you simply cannot beat the Park Hyatt and I look forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: There can be great seasonal offers on the official hotel website..
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael C
Park-Hyatt-Saigon, General Manager at Park Hyatt Saigon, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Michael C,

Thank you very much for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope you will return to Park Hyatt Saigon soon.

Warm regard,
Baar, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on business and when we arrived, one of our bag rollers were broken. The staffs did their best to help us to fix it but it was not possible. The assistant manager Ms Tam was very apologetic and even offer to send some technicians to help fix it the next day. In my view, she really went the extra mile and ensured our stay was pleasant. Check in was swift And the room was very classy and well designed. Breakfast was very good especially the pho. I truly enjoyed my stay at Park Hyatt and would recommend it highly.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Alexjoey
Park-Hyatt-Saigon, Front Office Manager at Park Hyatt Saigon, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Alexjoey,

Thank you for your lovely review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We are very sorry about your bag rollers and we wish we could do more to help you.

We will try our best to ensure that your next visit to Park Hyatt Saigon will be a perfect experience.

Leon Mendels
Front Office Manager
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

What a wonderful hotel with an eye for detail. We had only one night here and found the reception and concierge extremely helpful. The bar staff in the martini bar - a short young fellow was extremely rude to my sister telling her not to drink in the bar. We are well presented young women and found his demenour extremely offensive. The prices are what is to be expected in a hotel of this standard in a cosmopolitan city. For vietnam it seemed a bit steep.

This was the only two ways i could fault the hotel though. Everyone was extremely helpful and nice. The ladies in the piano lobby bar deserve a great deal of credit - they were warm, interested and engaging.

I would stay here again but avoid that pretentious martini bar man!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Natalie-Sutton
Dear Natalie-Sutton,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. I am very sorry that you had a bad experience at 2 Lam Son bar. I'd appreciate it if you can give us more details on the situation. This will help us investigate the case and improve our service.

I hope this didn't affect your impression of the hotel and I look forward to your return.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

If you are looking for a 5 Star Hotel with 5 Star Service and accommodations, this should be your destination. From when you arrive at the hotel, it was a 100% terrific experience.
The restaurant is terrific as well. I recommend this property for anyone traveling to Ho Chi Minh.
It is also centrally located in District 1.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ZacandCar
Dear ZacandCar,

Thank you very much for choosing Park Hyatt Saigon. I hope with this pleasant experience, you will return to the hotel more often.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

We stayed at the Park Hyatt Saigon for several nights with our children. After staying in several smaller hotels during our travels around Vietnam and Cambodia, I have to say when we approached the Park Hyatt I was a bit worried, but my fears quickly disappeared upon arrival. The staff was incredibly friendly, warm and helpful. Everyone by our second day knew our names and made us feel like VIPs. On my daughter's birthday they sent a delicious chocolate cake for her, making sure it did not contain nuts. They were very careful every time we ate at the hotel for breakfast or dinner that her food did not contain nuts. We only had to tell them about her allergy once; they never forgot.
Besides having fantastic service, the rooms were gorgeously appointed, it's in a fantastic location, the restaurants within the hotel serve great food, the pool is big and clean, and the spa gives great manicures and pedicures. (I didn't try the other services.)

Room Tip: We had a room with a great view of the city on the 8th floor, but the 3rd floor has some rooms that...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank AmyDakar
Park-Hyatt-Saigon, Public Relations Manager at Park Hyatt Saigon, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear AmyDakar,

Thank you very much for your review. It was our pleasure to have your daughter celebrate her birthday with us and we wish her all the best. We always try our best to ensure our guests' dietary requirements and that you have comfortable stay with us. If you have any other requests, please never hesitate to tell us.

I hope your family will return to Park Hyatt Saigon soon.

Nguyen Phuong Anh