“Good location but unhelpful staff and needs a clean”
Review of Thien Tung Hotel

Thien Tung Hotel
Ranked #247 of 457 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Good location but unhelpful staff and needs a clean”
Reviewed 5 December 2012

I stayed here as part of a G Adventures trip and the hotel is in a great location, but it was one of the worst hotels on the trip.

The cleanliness was not the best, the room had a lot of insects, the aircon sounded like a hurricane in the Caribbean and it was useless, the room was the same temperature without it on.

The pool was filthy and I don't think it has seen a clean in months.

I have a lot of respect for hotel staff and their ability to converse in other languages but the staff at the Thien Tung were the surliest hotel staff I have ever met and claimed they couldn't understand, mmm, they could talk to me when checking out and owed mini bar money.

If you are booking in here and can cancel, do, for the same money, you can get so much better.

Room Tip: Don't do it.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Troublenic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 3 December 2012

Rooms were ok and clean bed comfortable but staff were very cold and the breakfast
worst food ever
Would not stay again
shower head awful water everywhere though tiling nice . very
outdated furniture
I cant stress enough how cold hey were and how bad food was

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Ho Chi Minh City hotels

hadley rille
Reviewed 21 November 2012

i think the harsh reviews are overstated. i've stayed at this hotel over 12 nights and never been disappointed. you can't beat the location across from the museum. some of the high rooms have a great view. reasonably clean nice room. dont expect a lot of channels on your tv. staff stern but efficient. once arrived dead tired at 4 a.m. and was promptly given a room. recommended.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Thien Tung hotel is the worsted hotel i had ever live in my life. We nearly got cheated by the staff at the reception. Me and my friends booked 6 rooms in total from the internet. We pass the documents to the staff and he gave us 3 rooms instead of 6 rooms. When we show him that we book 6 room on the document, he say that 2 persons is to 1 room so he gave us 3 rooms. We confronted and in the end he gave us 6 rooms.

Don't get cheated by what they say on their website. Their website shows that there will be safe box in the room but when i check with the staff at the reception counter, they told us the safe box is at the reception.

Every time we walk pass the reception, the staff will show us a black face as if we owe them something.

The lift was terrible. Althought there is 2 lifts but 1 time the lift can only squeeze in 4 person and the lift is very slow.

The size of the pool and the gym is really pathetic.

Paying 30USD/Night although is very little but at least we should feel welcome by the hotel staff. I believe i can find some other hotel with the same rate with friendly staff and better facilities. I will never go back to this hotel again for my next trip to HCMC. And i will never recommend it to my friend.

• Stayed November 2012
3 Thank ZXAng
Reviewed 26 September 2012 via mobile

BreAkfast isn't included and its 2 US to swim in the pool! It's ok but there are better hotels that cost the same close by, such as ruby river hotel

Staff aren't particularly helpful

Location is otherwise good, rooms themselves are clean, but bathroom a little manky

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Kim J
Luton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2012

We stayed for 2 nights at the Thien Tung. Our room on the 2nd (203) floor was like a prison cell, minus the window. The bathroom also lacked a window, and the shower whilst powerful would flood the bathroom.

When you check in they make you acutely aware that if you make any mess in the room you will be fined. Ladies should especially beware if it's that time of the month.

The aircon in our room didn't work on the first day which made for an uncomfortable nights sleep. Thankfully we fixed this on the second day, through no help of teh hotel I should add, but our tour guide.

The reception staff aren't particularly friendly or helpful. We aksed to keep our room til 6pm on 2 occasions, neither staff wrote it down and low and behold at midday we were called to ask if we wanted to stay on later.

there is a small dirty pool ($2 to use) and a poorly equipped 'gym' ($1)

We were here at the end of a G Adventure tour and even our tour guide had nothing positive to say about the hotel. I would stay here unless you really had to. It's only good point is its location.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank d4vealex
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 7 September 2012

I must say I disagree with some of the other reviews of this hotel. It is not exactly palatial and has without doubt the worst pool area I have ever seen, but I found the staff helpful and the rooms were clean.
We stayed for three days as part of a G Adventures tour and found this a comfortable place, excellently located right opposite the Ben Thanh Market and 10-15 mins from the Rex Hotel and Ho Chi Minh Square.
As I said, the rooms were clean, comfortable and very affordable BUT do not go for the ludicrously overpriced breakfast on offer here unless its included in your room rate!
We found it to be a very quiet hotel with helpful staff, thats why I double checked I had the right place based on previous reviews. There were 15 in our group and everyone seemed very happy with this hotel. Actually, it is quite an achievement for anywhere to be quiet in Ho Chi Minh!
Anyway, I am an experienced traveller and I do not look for pampering or overt comfort. All I want is somewhere clean, safe and restful and this place ticked those three boxes. Go for it, it is a perfectly decent option for H.C.M.C.

Room Tip: Go for a room as high up as possible as HCMC is desperate for traffic. DO NOT accept a room on the s...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends