“OK place but you can find better for the price”
Review of Phi Vu Hotel

Phi Vu Hotel
Phi Vu Hotel
Ranked #392 of 454 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Seattle, Washington
“OK place but you can find better for the price”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

By far the largest rooms we stayed in, but for the price you can find better even with slightly smaller rooms elsewhere. Good, busy location and an easy to walk anywhere. Good wifi and air-conditioning!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 9 April 2012

well, just came back from HCMC and I do agree that Phi Vu Hotel is close to the Ben Thanh Market so are many other hotels in the vicinity.

No doubt the room is clean and big with the price you paid for but again as mentioned there are many other hotels in the vicinity.

And the best joke is I ended up with this hotel by "mistake" and due to hopeless taxi driver and hotel staff and totally not my fault!!

Here's the story:

I have booked with Agoda for Ono Saigon Hotel which is just behind Phi Vu Hotel!!
Upon arrival at the airport, randomly I approached a taxi counter (cannot recall the taxi company). I showed him a print out the hotel voucher from Agoda and paid 200,000 VND to bring us to Ono Saigon Hotel (address very similar to Phi Vu Hotel but with an extra unit as 7/8). The guy took down the address and showed us the way to the taxi driver.

Obviously the taxi driver is lost as he kept checking the address written by the guy. After almost 15mins of the trip, he turned around and asked me for the address. I showed him the hotel voucher and he went on to complain that the guy has written the wrong address.

So I thought ok we are in good hands now and very quickly within 10 mins, the taxi driver dropped me right infront of Phi Vu Hotel!! Immediately we noticed the hotel name is different so my husband pointed to Phi Vu hotel and reconfirm if this is the correct hotel and he nodded yes.

We approached the check in counter, and I showed the lady the same hotel voucher which clearly showed hotel name as Ono Saigon Hotel! Initially the lady sent us off and said no this is not the correct hotel! Great and the taxi driver has left!!! What's next??

When we were about to turn and left, another guy joined in and the lady took another look at the hotel voucher then she went nodding her head saying it's the correct hotel and we trust her since we don't understand her poor English and looking at the address I thought ok, this is the correct hotel despite the different hotel name. Perhaps they have recently changed their name as I said there are tons of hotel in the vicinity and many new ones under construction!!

My point is the hotel staff should have just sent us off and tell us this is the wrong hotel and we could have walked away and locate Ono Saigon Hotel right behind Phi Vu Hotel!!

Instead, the lady kept my hotel voucher for Ono Saigon Hotel, gave us the room key to room nos#301 and insist that they have to retain our passport and the guy carried our luggage and we are checked in!!

When I checked out on the 8th April, a different lady on duty insisted that I have not paid for the hotel and insisted that I have to pay US$92 for the 3 nights stay!! I insisted that I have already paid and asked to take back my hotel voucher and she said this is the wrong hotel!!

We argued for more than 10 mins' and without any choice (since they retained our passports) and our flight is leaving in 2 hours' time, I ended up paying US$92 for 3 nights stay in Phi Vu Hotel and a 1 night charge at US$31.59 to Agoda for "no-show"

I am a frequent traveler for more than 15 years and this is the 1st time that I being checked in to the wrong hotel!!!

Well, I must say that this is the worst leisure trip I have experienced!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anne188624

Travellers are raving about these Ho Chi Minh City hotels

ca
Reviewed 31 January 2010

San Jose, Ca 2010
To Whom It May Concern:

My name is Kenneth Phan, who has been living in California, USA.
I have spent a month in Viet Nam for this Xmas and New Year 2009. My friend and I stay in this hotel, PHI VU at 7 Nguyen Trai, District 1 Sai Gon Viet Nam. Here are some of my opinions about this place.
Positives:
1. This is a good commute location and closed by all other areas like Res, clubs, shopping, market…
2. Services is good in general, hotel staffs are kindly and friendly…
3. The price is affordable, fair deal.
4. The room is large enough and clean. ( hotel services staff clean carefully everyday) I like
5. Security 24/24, free wifi…
Negatives:
1. Food , it has no restaurant in house
2. A little noise in the morning, when cleaning services is in activity.
3. The exteriors are not very attracted…
In general, I would recommend any other tourists to stay here once and learn a good experience.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 25 January 2009

The Phi Vu hotel has an excellent location, close to the Ben Thanh Market, which is a must if you're in Ho Chi Minh City. There are lots of restaurants, shops and bars nearby, which is a good thing, since the hotel itself doesn't have a restaurant or breakfast included. The staff was really helpful and friendly, the rooms were clean and their laundry service was excellent, though more expensive than usual. The rooms came at around 40 $ a double room, which is reasonable, though not a bargain in this area. However, I could recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank bbbbbbba
CA
Reviewed 15 August 2007

Rooms

The room was 30 dollars a day. It is clean with great service. It has a small area where our driver could park and was the main reason we chose this hotel. We had a triple with a queen bed and a bed slightly smaller than a full. There was a refrigerator, television, desk, awesome air conditioning, and laptops with wireles internet that you may bring to your room. We stayyed in room 204 first but then ended up in 304 later. All the rooms above the second floor are newer because the had them done more recently. My pictures are from room 304.

Location

It is one block away for Cho Ben Thanh. It also two blcoks away from the backpacking district. I found the location ideal for our activities. I kept their card in my purse in case I needed to take the taxis back and the taxi didn’t recognize the name of the hotel.

There is lots of food near. The hotel will buy you food and bring it to your room. Most of the food they brought to me, I didn’t like although they really tried to please. You are better off going to buy your own.

Services

We had our cothes washed while we were there. Mst of it came back great. Folded onto hangers and smelled great. About one fourth of it smelled like mildew which means they left it in the washer for too long. I wouldn’t recommend their laundry service because of this. There is no spa but they do change you money for you.

Activities

Our Mekong Dela Tour 8 dolars USD and Bus ride to Phan Thiet were booked through the Sinh Café known to be the best in tour business in Saigon because their prices are cheaper and the speak pretty good English. Our bus ride up was ina really clean bus with water a nuts provided. Our bus ride back was the smelly bus from hell s I think it depends on what you want. For four dollars USD, you can’t beat it though. They were very punctual though and had great tour guides. [--].

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — lots of beggars outside
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank babyboo999