“Avoid Hotel 68”
Review of Hotel 68

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ho Chi Minh City
Hotel 68
Ranked #398 of 459 Hotels in Ho Chi Minh City
Reviewed 17 September 2011

I stayed this hotel for 4 nights on Sep. 2011 First day I reached the hotel, showed my ID and mentioned that I have made a reservation by online. Then these two receptionists was not aware anything about my reservation so I had to tell them in details about which online booking site I have used and all confirmation #s that took me a while to complete entry process.
Once I have reached my room, I found that there was no safety box which was supposed to be available on each rooms, also the window lock was completely broken that there was no way to lock the window. I told about the safety box and the window issue to the receptionist but they were not helpful but more busy to dealing with just come-in customer who wish to bargain their per night stay. I also found out that if someone just comes to ask for a night stay, she/he can get a least 6USD discount than by online booking which I have gone through (I have booked 26USD / night, but these people just come-in are getting a rate of 20 USD / night).
Some of male staff were not able to understand any English so it was very difficult communicate and ask any for assistance.

I have been stayed in various hotels in South East Asia, but this is the worst hotel I have ever stayed with no hospitality and no professional services are offered.
Stay away from Hotel 68 the best solution to enjoy and enrich your stay in HCM.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Atsuko K
There are newer reviews for Hotel 68

Reviewed 11 July 2011

Wouldnt advise someone to stay here, the pool area is disgusting and the bathrooms in the rooms smell pretty bad.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Markandsara
Reviewed 3 June 2011

Oh, if they only would use a 10% solution of chlorine in the bathrooms, it would make all the difference in the world !! On entry to the room, I was immediately met with the smell of mold/mildew from the bathroom. On looking inside, the shower curtain and walls in the shower were spotted with mold/mildew. That to one side, I had a perfect night's stay.

By the way, the address quoted here is incorrect. It is actually at 24-26 Bui Vien Street. Phone number (08)38375581 - email addresses - reserve@hotel68vn.com or lienhotel@yahoo.com

I stayed here for one night as a try after being a devoted guest for a number of years at Giant Dragon Hotel. in comparison, I think this hotel is better than Giant Dragon at 173 Pham Ngu Lao, but the rooms are smaller.

I found the staff very friendly and welcoming. Matter of fact, I have known a couple of them for a number of years. I will share that later, but first a review.

CHECK IN - quick and easy and staff well dressed and professional.

ROOM QUALITY - apart from the welcoming mold/mildew in the bathroom, I found the room near perfect. Very clean and tidy and the bed very comfortable. I also found the room quiet given the fact the hotel is on Bui Vien which in itself is the hub of the "back packer" district and tends to be very noisy.

PRICE/TARIFF - room rate varies depending on room and whether you want breakfast or not. Room I rented was 250,000 plus another 50 for breakfast. That is just under $14 in Aussie dollars at current exchange rate. There are higher priced rooms that have more space.

SLEEP QUALITY - My room was quiet and the bed very comfy. slept very well and was not woken by the usual 6:00 AM beeping of horns. I had a good nights sleep.

BREAKFAST - The usual eggs and bread or salty noodle choices. Coffee was very good but like the most usual across the country, just a small cup.

CLEANLINESS - Spotless all bar the mold/mildew in the bathroom.

SUMMARY - I would highly recommend this hotel for the budget traveler. Good location being just minutes from Binh Thanh Market and at the northern end of Bui Vien making it ideally located.

HISTORY OF HOTEL - I remember well when this was the Lien Hotel. About 3 years ago, they bought the adjoining building and changed their name and expanded their holdings. What is now the reception of the hotel used to be the restaurant area of the former BAC Bar which was a well known girly bar. What is now the breakfast/bar area used to be the famous BAC girly bar. In those days, girls from BAC meeting a customer would go next door to the Lien Hotel which would charge $5 short time rooms. I know this not because I was into girly bars, but was intending buying the BAC bar to convert into a hotel/bar with an Aussie theme and was in the process of doing so. My sudden marital break up changed all that and I was unable to enter the sales contract. The BAC bar remained clo9sed and vacant for almost 2 years. I have some fondness of the place having watched it changed hands and become now a reputable quality hotel. Some of the long term staff are still there and remember me and I remember them. I found my stay there, be it only one night, very comfortable and welcoming, although it is important to say they already knew me. My knowledge of those staff over the years and knowing people who know them leaves me in no doubt these are honest people who work at the hotel.

I recommend this hotel without question if only they would use a diluted chlorine/bleach spray to rid the mold/mildew. They also have quality speed WiFi throughout the hotel.

Room Tip: Book direct with them and avoid agents.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank DarwinAustralia
Reviewed 4 May 2011

I used to stay here when they just open. It was good but after 2 times, things getting worst and worst. Low mataining, rooms are dirty and the bathrooms are horrible. Mixed up booking and they keep changing me to 2 different rooms in 1 night but I couldn't handle the smelly and old towels. Moved out the next day and so please with the hotel next door which was cheaper. Never go back here again!!!

• Stayed: June 2010
2  Thank vietnamesegod
Reviewed 24 April 2011

we stayed here for a few nights and loved the location, the room was good (bathroom with large shower with shower curtain) but we initially checked in here for the rooftop pool - which was 'being filled' while we were there but the whole rooftop area was dirty so i wouldn't have swam anyway. paid $32 per night including breakfast (which delivered the BEST Pho we had while in vietnam, yum!!!)
the hotel itself is a lil confusing, cafe 68 rather tha lein ha, and the icecream shop they advertise downstairs didn't have icecream... overall decent place to sleep while enjoying siagon

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tracemyster
Reviewed 24 January 2011

We (2 parents and 4 children from 11 to 20) booked into what we thought was Lien Ha Hotel but on arrival found it was now Hotel 68 and they were not aware of our booking despite having emailed a confirmation. We were quoted prices for 2 rooms with and without breakfast but before the end of our stay we were told that the quote was wrong and one room was more expensive. The real trouble came when we tried to book out after 4 nights. We were told we owed more money because of "extra" items we had at breakfast (we had stuck to the set breakfast menu). When we refused to pay extra the manager tried to keep our passports and we had to physically take them out of her hand and threaten to call our Embassy. Then they locked the doors and refused to let us leave. The manager was yelling at us and was very threatening. We ended up paying about 200,000 dong more then we owed in an attempt to come to a compromise, but this still did not satisfy the manager. In the end we had to physically struggle with one of the staff on the door in order to unlock the door and run from the hotel. The children were very shaken by the experience. My advice is AVOID THIS HOTEL AT ALL COST!!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank MelbourneFamily6
Reviewed 10 November 2010

VERY NICE HOTEL RIGHT IN THE CENTER(BUI VIEM ST.)...CHIP (20$),clean,hot water,,aircon,tv,wifi-free,very nice stuff.....best you'll get for this money,they even give you Slippers

Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends