“good vietnamese experience”

Ranked #339 of 3,929 Restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City
Price range: US$2 - US$10
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 25 May 2014

There are better overall Vietnamese restaurants in Ho Chi Minh, but if you want good food in a cool setting, at rock bottom prices then this is an excellent spot. It's a big restaurant with a street market feel. The atmosphere is very pleasant. All the cooking is done open, around the perimeter of the restaurant. Instead of just ordering off the menu, you can browse the stalls, and decide what looks good. I like the vietnamese rolls (deep fried), followed by rice pancakes. The rice pancakes are more like crepes, with some bits of seafood in them. They will slice the pancake up and you put these slices into lettuce cups, like a taco and then dip into a sauce. I'll also order some bbq sticks. I like the beef and the prawn here. They will give you a salt and pepper siding for the bbq. The desserts here are also very good. Mostly colorful gelatin, creams and crushed iced. Nice way to finish a hot day in the city. If I'm with friends who are new to Ho Chi Minh this is where I always take them first.

1  Thank falcon85
Write a ReviewReviews (1,190)

Reviewed 21 May 2014

After eating in Hanoi and being really impressed with everything we couldn't wait to eat here. But don't be fooled, this is nothing like the restaurant in Hanoi. The food was fairly ordinary and service no where as good. I would give it a miss.

1  Thank Joshua B
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This place was exactly what I was looking for after 2 weeks in Vietnam! By the last days of our trip my boyfriend's tummy had been upset due to some market food we had in hoi an (he never recovered) and he had resorted to surviving on Pringles and only dining at overpriced restaurants. He wanted a clean restaurant, I wanted reasonably priced vietnamese- this place was perfect! Yes it's pricier- 40,000 rather then a 25,000 VND for bowl of noodles (from the side of the road) but I was happy to pay a $1.50 more for peace of mind and quiet frankly, the best bun rieu I have had!!

Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

We traveled down starting at Hanoi, I think most of the reviews here had this as one of their first ever Vietnamese restaurants. Atmosphere and location are good. Food is very overpriced, and doesn't have a lot of flavor.

Would recommend eating in the market instead if you want actual food

1  Thank Niklas N
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stopped at this restaurant while we waited for the lunchtime siesta to end at Reunification Palace. When you walk into Quan An Ngon you get the feeling it's a pretty swanky place. Fresh shellfish await in bubbly tanks. Slate topped tables for every guest. No cornice has been left untouched by ornate trimmings. Mist machines waft cooling clouds over the lucky people sitting near the front. Don't be fooled though, prices are cheap.

I had Bun Bo Hue (Beef and tendon noodle soup in the Hue style) for 55,000 VND, plus three beers. The Bun Bo Hue was the best meal I'd had of our trip to that point. My wife had some sort of vegetarian dish and some spring rolls which were excellent.