“Perfect Guesthouse Stay”

Ranked #10 of 129 Hue B&B and Inns
Poole, England, United Kingdom
“Perfect Guesthouse Stay”
Reviewed 13 March 2014

This guesthouse is perfect! The family are extremely friendly and helpful, the location is central, rooms are clean with spacious balconies and breakfast was tasty.

We hired bicycles from the guesthouse and explored the city ruins, pagodas and temples ourselves, following the advise of the family. We had a lovely day! Whilst we were there, we also had 5kg of laundry done, which we gave the family in the morning and was ready by the time we returned from our day out.

After travelling for six months, we think we may have found the perfect guesthouse. Phong Lan!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Georgina W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We stayed at Phong Lan Guesthouse for 2 nights and it has been one of our best stays in Vietnam. The staff was very friendly and welcomed us with drinks. They speak very good English and can help you for every kind of enquiry. They advised us restaurants which were good all the time. The room was cosy, modern, very clean and we had hot shower.
We have used the laundry service and we were very satisfied with this because they use washing mashing and the dryer. Very useful as we know Vietnam can be quite humid.
We had the surprise to have complimentary gifts during our stay such as free fruits for breakfast and a lucky bracelet when checking out.
We recommend everyone to come to Phong Lan hotel during their stay in Hue.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Pros:

* Very nice staff, especially the young guy who speaks excellent English and is smily and helpful without being over the top, morning until night.
* Large room with nice little balcony, comfy bed.
* Excellent breakfast - amongst the best I've had in Vietnam. The homemade jams rule!

Mixed:

* Location is convenient but beware the slightly tacky bars and drug dealers that have accumulated in this area (I was offered drugs so many times I lost count, probably they're just targeting young male travellers like me, mind you)

Cons:

* Maybe I got unlucky but the shower in my room was almost unusably weak, changed temperature and flooded the whole bathroom with a centimetre of water. Bit of a downer after a long hot day.
* Wifi reception was weak on the third floor.

Room Tip: 1st or 2nd floors seem to have best wifi reception.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

Every member of staff in this guesthouse provides excellent service. So friendly on arrival and great welcome drink. The reviews of this guesthouse speaks for itself. Good room, great location, good breakfast, flawless service.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Guisborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed 4 nights here and it was fantastic. The hotel is off the main road so nice and quiet but close enough to all the key spots in Hue. Room was lovely, spacious and clean - breakfast was great. My girlfriend got Ill on our first day in town and the staff were incredibly helpful and very caring. Thanks to Dung for all his help, local knowledge and recommendation for a good tailor in Hoi An! Would not think twice about booking again.

• Stayed January 2014
Canberra
Reviewed 26 January 2014

we enjoyed our stay in two quite spacious rooms, 1 with three beds for our children and a double for my husband and I. The owners also organised a tour of Hue and drivers; the guide, whose anglicised name was 'Nick' (I will have to check his real name again) was lovely and gave us lots of insights not only into Hue but into Vietnamese life. The only real disappointment was their strong restaurant recommendation, Zucca, which we thought was incredibly ordinary and a wasted opportunity for some better, Vietnamese food. No lift, so the stairs might be a challenge for some, but the owners and staff were very helpful with our bags. The shower had the apparently universal issue of not having enough hot water for two showers in a row, but everything was clean and sparkling. The beds were very hard, but this seems to be common in Vietnam too.

Room Tip: keep the stairs in mind.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

When I arrived I was given a delicious welcome drink and a choice of rooms.
Both the room & the bathroom were very clean and had everything I needed including toothbrushes, toothpaste, comb.
I even had a balcony.
Breakfast was very good and included in price.
Good Wi-Fi signal also.
They were very happy to organise a motorbike tour for me with Mr Tue (an excellent guide, I would recommend him also) and I was presented with a goodbye gift upon leaving.
I would definitely stay here again if I was in Hue

• Stayed January 2014