“Gorgeous guesthouse, lovely people!”

Phong Lan (Wild Orchid) Guesthouse
Ranked #11 of 130 Hue B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights during the Hue festival. Rooms are fairly basic but very clean, good quality bed/linen etc, bathroom was fine and we even had a small balcony which was a big bonus! Excellent value for money, and the staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful! We were even allowed to check in early after arriving at the crack of dawn off the night bus from hue. The guesthouse opposite also has a pool which can be used for a day for 75,000 dong.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Phong Lan (Wild Orchid) Guesthouse

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I will keep this one somewhat short, because most of the other reviewers likely have the same positive comments I have and I really have no complaints. It is in a pretty good location. I took the bus from the airport (I think $2) and they dropped me off 200' from the front door. Room was clean, a/c worked, wifi was sufficient, and the staff provided good advice. They got a bike for me which I road out to the tombs. It is about a 30 minute walk to the old citadel, but restaurants and bars are right out on the main street. As mentioned, the tombs are rideable if you don't mind pedaling for a few hours and you are a bit adventurous. I would recommend the Phong Lan Guesthouse.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Pros: Breakfast was good, and they were all trying to be helpful.

The [Many] Cons:

1) No water pressure at all on the 3rd floor. We have been staying in hostels for the past 9 months and this was the worst water pressure I've seen. It literally dripped straight down out of the shower head. I mentioned this to them and they said that it was a hot day and there was no water pressure in the whole city, which wasn't true (our friends staying a few blocks away confirmed). The next morning, we tried again, and the water was only slightly stronger.

2) Wifi on the 3rd floor was weak. We asked them to reset the router and it worked a bit better after that. Not terrible, but not particularly fast.

3) It was a very hot day in Hue and we were so ready for some air con... but our air con didn't do much to cool the room.

4) One staff member asked us just too many questions about what we were doing; where we were going; how much we paid for our motorbikes; where our friends were staying... it was just too much. I know they are trying to be friendly, but we don't need to give them a full report of our activities or friends activities before entering/leaving our rooms.

5) No topsheet on the bed. Only a bottom sheet and a thin duvet that barely covered the top of the mattress... and in this heat, I'd personally always prefer a sheet over any type of blanket.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 3rd floor; Weak Wifi and no water pressure.
2  Thank kokusai
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I loved this guesthouse! The highlights are kind, very helpful owners; simple, quiet and very clean room with a balcony from which to enjoy the view and observe life on the peaceful little street; delicious, filling Western breakfast; and extremely convenient location. If I ever return to Hue, I will definitely stay here again! I highly recommend this lovely guesthouse.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We've only stayed one night but the hosts were amazing and helpful. We had cars, guides and tours organized through them. We also had a very nice breakfast before hitting the road. We are definitely going back!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We arrived early after an overnight train from Hanoi and were greeted with 2 cups of strawberry tea and a place to sit while the staff checked us in. Our room wasn't ready and they offered another larger deluxe room for a $2 more but were said no thank you and that we would just go find some breakfast and come back. Instead the lady in charge who had not yet been spoken to us said that we looked really tired (we were) and was going to take care of us and put us in the big room.
The rooms was gorgeous and complete with a balcony. I had a look at the other rooms n the floor as well and all seemed clean and bright. Can't say how nice it is to have an experience like this. Also it's nice and quiet down their street so you'll sleep really well.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

This guesthouse is perfect! The family are extremely friendly and helpful, the location is central, rooms are clean with spacious balconies and breakfast was tasty.

We hired bicycles from the guesthouse and explored the city ruins, pagodas and temples ourselves, following the advise of the family. We had a lovely day! Whilst we were there, we also had 5kg of laundry done, which we gave the family in the morning and was ready by the time we returned from our day out.

After travelling for six months, we think we may have found the perfect guesthouse. Phong Lan!

1  Thank Georgina W