“Good value and kind staff”

and 1 more site!
Phong Lan (Wild Orchid) Guesthouse
Ranked #8 of 119 Hue B&B and Inns
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Good value and kind staff”
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

We are long term travellers and stayed in a balcony room on the third floor, which was quiet and spacious.
I had to stay in bed with a migraine on our second day, and the staff were extremely kind - sending up a drink for me in the afternoon, and coming up to check on me and offering to cook me some vegetable soup in the evening : )
Compared to the breakfasts we've had at other guesthouses throughout Vietnam it didn't seem very special at first glance - you could only chose one food item and one drink from the menu, and no fruit was available. However the breakfast was of lovely quality, with not just one but two delightfully fresh and warm baguettes per serving, with four delicious types of homemade jam, and as another reviewer noted, the orange juice is pure and freshly squeezed.
Just something to perhaps be aware of: this is the only guesthouse where we've stayed in Vietnam with a "wet room" bathroom. We're used to them (as they're the norm in India, Nepal and other parts of South East Asia) but the bathroom in our room took a really long time to drain...

• Stayed April 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Seend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Rooms are basic but clean, with comfy beds, tvs and air con. Good location with everything happening nearby except for main tourist sites which are around a 10 minute walk. Best thing about this hotel is the staff, very friendly and helpful. Highly recommend.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights during the Hue festival. Rooms are fairly basic but very clean, good quality bed/linen etc, bathroom was fine and we even had a small balcony which was a big bonus! Excellent value for money, and the staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful! We were even allowed to check in early after arriving at the crack of dawn off the night bus from hue. The guesthouse opposite also has a pool which can be used for a day for 75,000 dong.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Okinawa, Japan
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I will keep this one somewhat short, because most of the other reviewers likely have the same positive comments I have and I really have no complaints. It is in a pretty good location. I took the bus from the airport (I think $2) and they dropped me off 200' from the front door. Room was clean, a/c worked, wifi was sufficient, and the staff provided good advice. They got a bike for me which I road out to the tombs. It is about a 30 minute walk to the old citadel, but restaurants and bars are right out on the main street. As mentioned, the tombs are rideable if you don't mind pedaling for a few hours and you are a bit adventurous. I would recommend the Phong Lan Guesthouse.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Pros: Breakfast was good, and they were all trying to be helpful.

The [Many] Cons:

1) No water pressure at all on the 3rd floor. We have been staying in hostels for the past 9 months and this was the worst water pressure I've seen. It literally dripped straight down out of the shower head. I mentioned this to them and they said that it was a hot day and there was no water pressure in the whole city, which wasn't true (our friends staying a few blocks away confirmed). The next morning, we tried again, and the water was only slightly stronger.

2) Wifi on the 3rd floor was weak. We asked them to reset the router and it worked a bit better after that. Not terrible, but not particularly fast.

3) It was a very hot day in Hue and we were so ready for some air con... but our air con didn't do much to cool the room.

4) One staff member asked us just too many questions about what we were doing; where we were going; how much we paid for our motorbikes; where our friends were staying... it was just too much. I know they are trying to be friendly, but we don't need to give them a full report of our activities or friends activities before entering/leaving our rooms.

5) No topsheet on the bed. Only a bottom sheet and a thin duvet that barely covered the top of the mattress... and in this heat, I'd personally always prefer a sheet over any type of blanket.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 3rd floor; Weak Wifi and no water pressure.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kokusai
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I loved this guesthouse! The highlights are kind, very helpful owners; simple, quiet and very clean room with a balcony from which to enjoy the view and observe life on the peaceful little street; delicious, filling Western breakfast; and extremely convenient location. If I ever return to Hue, I will definitely stay here again! I highly recommend this lovely guesthouse.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Jakarta
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

We've only stayed one night but the hosts were amazing and helpful. We had cars, guides and tours organized through them. We also had a very nice breakfast before hitting the road. We are definitely going back!

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family