“Good for the price”

Ranked #54 of 120 Hotels in Hue
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Good for the price”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Big double room with a bath (although there was limited hot water). In a good location within walking distance of everywhere. A few good places to eat and drink opposite as well. Staff were friendly and not constantly trying to sell you tours, although it isn't somewhere to stay if you are looking to meet people as it has zero atmosphere.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank susiecampbell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Indonesian first
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed 8 February 2014

we initially booked another hotel (new life hue) but when we arrived we were transfered to Phong Nha with no explanation. The room was okay, not really spacious but clean. Service was nice, our TV didn't work and someone instantly came to repair it. However breakfast was supposed to be included in our reservation at New life but we had problems obtaining it at Phong Nha. We had to pressure them to get it. So it was overall a nice stay, despite the fact we didnt chose this hotel initially (therefore, beware with your bookings with New Life hotel)

• Stayed February 2014
Ashland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I was a little hesitant at first since we got recruited by them at the bus station, but when they saw that they were willing to negotiate the price, which helped. It turned out to be a nice stay, with a quiet room and very nice staff. It's an older building, so it wasn't luxurious, but for $8 a night I would never expect that. My boyfriend loved the beds (they were somewhat tempurpedic), I thought they were a little soft, but I like very hard beds. We only heard the frogs outside one out of the three nights we were there, but didn't deter from our sleep. It's in a quiet alleyway across from a great family restaurant, and in a very central location. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights (me and my girlfriend) and had a relatively pleasant stay given the price. The room was very large and clean (apart from a few small ants), the bathroom was clean and had a good hot shower over the bath. Room was made up every day and new towels provided. Hired 2 push bikes for a day of sightseeing which were in ok condition bit I did have to fix my own breaks before leaving the hotel as they didn't work. On the whole the hotel staff were very helpful throughout our stay and booking our onward journey were very helpful. Opposite is a lovely little cafe (thu wheels cafe) offering VERY good food all day and some western dishes. A little gem of a place. If we were to come to Hue again I would stay here.
Only downside was the toads/frogs that reside next door do make quite some noise at times through the night if you are a light sleeper. Not sure if that is seasonal/mating. It didn't affect our stay too negatively, it is part and parcel of Asia and it's wildlife!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Rob S
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2013

My single room was huge, had a double and single bed, a tv that picked up cable tv (although a little grainy) a large bathroom complete with a bathtub (and shower) and enough hot water to fill the bath. The place was spotlessly clean. It was also very quiet. Every other budget hotel I have stayed in Vietnam has been very noisy, staff shouting at all hours, building works outside. This was a peaceful retreat. It is located down an alley where the top ranking cafes and restaurants on tripadvisor can be found. It is walking distance to the citadel and the riverside park. The staff were very friendly and helpful. I had to extend my stay due to minor illness and they were very caring esp the cleaning lady who checked up on me mid afternoon daily to see if I needed further supplies or towels. I booked a tour with them and the receptionist also got booked me a nights stay at a hotel in Hanoi (cheaper than I could find) together with a free pick up from the overnight bus. i was very grateful for this when I arrived in Hanoi at 6.30am in the pouring rain. Been travelling many years now, this is one of my favourite budget hotels.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank ZoeBowieW
Hue, Vietnam
Reviewed 13 September 2013

We stayed 02 nights at Phong Nha hotel, The room is $14 with balcony, we enjoy our trip alots. Staff very helpful, friendly, clean room and comfortable. This is the first time i've been Hue. Me and my wifea amazed at the massive structure of the Citadel, tombs, beautiful architecture and lanscapeat sunset on a romantic Huong river and warmly.
We spent 2 nights but we really feel satisfied about this trip. If have choice we will come back this hotel and recomment for my friends.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank prostch2014_huevn
Daqing, China
Reviewed 23 August 2013

What every you do in Vietnam do not stay in this Hostel. It may be cheap but its not worth the hassle. The staff in this place are scamming hustlers. We only stayed for one night. In the room there was a fridge with a price list taped to the door. We drank a couple of beers and some fanta. When we had the drinks we noted down the price of the drinks. When we went to check out the price of the drinks had suddenly changed. We argued that this was incorrect but they wouldnt back down. The woman at the front desk said she would take me to the room to look at the prices again. Before she did this she called the cleaners and had them do into the room before us to remove the list from the fridge. When we went up to the room the cleaners produced a new list that was obviously not the same list. It wasnt even the same size as the old one and the previous list had been removed from the fridge. When I questioned them about this they demanded that I was not telling the truth. I asked the woman why they had removed the price list from the fridge (the old one having clearly been there for some time). She was adamant that every time a customer checks out the replace the list with a new one. I then asked her how many rooms were in the hotel to which she answered about 20. At this point I knew that they were being ridiculous. So I told her I wasnt stupid and that they clearly dont take down the list print out a new one and laminate it every time a customer checks out. This is when they became abusive. I may not be able to speak Vietnamese but it is not difficult to tell when someone is swearing at you. Anyway we went back to the reception and they demanded we pay them the money or they would call the police. To the point that they picked up the phone and began to dial. This is when I lost my temper and may have called them a few bad things. By this time it had become apparent that there was nothing we could do as they had our passports. So we paid them reluctantly. (its worth mentioning that by this time the original woman who we were dealing with us had retreated to the back of the room and was continually shouting at us in Vietnamese) After we paid the receptionist (now a man) he showed us our passports and then snatched them away from my partners hands as she reached to take them. Now I was really angry. Eventually with the threat of physical violence (regretfully on my part) they gave us back our passports.

Please don't stay here. This experience almost ruined what had been a great vacation in Vietnam.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple