“Golf Course Review ONLY”

Diamond Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #25 of 197 Hotels in Nha Trang
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Golf Course Review ONLY”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I came out to this course as part of a Vietnam Golf tour with a buddy. Upon our first impression of the place it was very nice and spacious. But things quickly turned sour. All of our clubs and bags were in the back of a taxi however the staff forgot to remove 1 of our shoe bags. We were extremely lucky in that the taxi driver drove back out to the course to deliver the shoe bag. The staff seemed to be unsympathetic to the incident.

Food service was extremely slow, so if you're looking to eat prior to playing or during the 9-hole turn, expect to spend some time waiting for food preparation. Food was OK, but not as described on the menu. I don't understand why they took the time to write down half the ingredients but leave out that it has onion, or a spicy sauce. Or was it that the chef went rouge?

Then on with the golf. The driving range is WAAAAAYYYYY out of the way from the course. It is seriously a 10-15 minute drive on a golf cart from the clubhouse as its on the opposite side of the course after the hotel. However, when you arrive, the driving range is in spectacular shape. Set right on the beach, the first 50 -75 yards has grass after that you're hitting balls into the ocean. GREAT views. Downside is you're hitting straight into the wind, so don't plan on getting any accurate distance readings.

The course is in good condition, caddies seem to generally take care of it, for the most part. Downsides are 1) tee boxes are squishy. makes it for a bit of unsettled ground and easy to lose balance through swings. I just didn't like the feel at all. 2) due to close proximity there is a lot of salt accumulated on the greens. So you need your caddies to constantly brush salt rocks off your putting line. Also due to the high level of salt, my hands became very sticky after touching balls and grass which then transferred to my clubs. I wasn't a fan of that either. 3) Grass on the greens were too long and seemed like there wasn't enough sand under them either. Greens rolled very slow about a 9 on most, but then there were a few holes that rolled REALLY fast. 4) There were a few greens that had major irrigation issues with large puddles of water in the center of the greens. And no, it had not rained yet that day.

LAST but not least, was my encounter with the caddies and Marshall. The course was relatively empty, with the exception to the group in front of us (3-some). They were playing extremely slow, beginners, hitting several balls every time. Without a doubt they were spending more than 5-minutes per shot. I asked my caddy to either ask them, or ask a Marshall for us to play through them. We were just a 2-some and both play fairly well. Our caddies didn't want to call anyone, and said they were friends of the manager. When I insisted as it was beginning to get dark and I wanted to finish all 18 before sunset, they told me their phones had no money to call. However they had both been calling / texting friends throughout the day. I offered my phone. They were surprised. Then they offered us to skip the hole and jump in front of them. Of course I said no, just call the Marshall. After waiting some time a Marshall finally arrives and offers the same thing. Skip 2 holes. I asked will I be reimbursed for not playing 2 holes? He said no (which of course I expected). So I said why would I want to skip holes. He informed me they were VIP guests so if they wanted to take longer, that was basically gonna be the end of it. After more discussing/complaining he finally agrees to let us play through. So as we began to play through, it was clear the Marshall didnt say that with the other players and we were just hitting into them. NOT cool. So I went to the group and asked to play through myself. The Marshall was super upset by this, so we ended up picking up our balls and finishing the round.

The course was very nice, great condition, and very picturesque. But I will probably NEVER come back again. Such poor course management, lazy Marshalls and caddies, and overall lack of respect to paying customers, all for the Vietnamese management to "save face".

5 Thank bigrich45

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Perth
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I recently stayed here for a week for my 50th birthday celebrations. What can I say it was superb. Gorgeous setting on large property with beautiful gardens, a day spa and a combination of restaurant choices. The rooms were spacious and clean, I booked a Garden supreme room. The staff were magnificent and even surprised me with a birthday cake on my special day. The tour desk staff went out of their way to organise drivers for places we wanted to visit. There are heaps of Russians that stay here are a bit obnoxious, but you just ignore them and you will have a marvellous time. Would definitely stay again as it is so peaceful being 10 mins drive out of busy Nha Trang, and they have a free shuttle bus to town and return.

Room Tip: Book the more superior or deluxe rooms as it is still so much cheaper the home, and you will also ge...
2 Thank PerthMaura
Incheon, South Korea
Reviewed 10 June 2014

It was little far from Nha Trang city center but shuttle bus service was convenient.
I enjoyed fire dance and band show on the beach.
Seawood restaurant and swimming pool were good.
I love to go Diamond bay resort again.

Room Tip: I paid $ 6 per person from Diamond Bay Resort to airport. It was comfortable.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Manama, Bahrain
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Just spent a week at the Diamond Bay resort and Spa in NhaTrang. It was supurb, excellent value for money, lovely location and set in beautiful grounds. Very friendly staff, great value Spa. Good choice of restaurants. Lovely breakfast setting and great choice at the breakfast buffet. Massive pool with No shortage of sun loungers. Nice beach. Handy shuttle bus into the city. Great tour desk who can organise private tours at very reasonable prices.

Room Tip: we had separate deluxe garden view rooms in 3 level multi story block..very private each with own ba...
Waterbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Had the Bungelow room and it was very nice. The pool is awesome and the beaches are awesome. The Rosy restaurant breakfast and supper were out of this world good and well worth the money. The whole resort was wonderful. The Songlo Spa was nice and very reasonable prices. The staff were friendly and attentive to our desires, Free bus ride to Nha Trang City was great. The grounds and mountains in the background were picture perfect and the flowers and foliage were beautiful. I hope to return someday to Diamond.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

This was my first time here at Diamond Bay Resort and just like the rest it was excellent. The rooms are well kept and spacious with gorgeous views of the water. Customer service staff and housekeeping were friendly and attentive to all my needs. Diamond Bay Resort is a fantastic place for everyone. With multiple restaurants and a spa with a wide range of services, I would highly recommend Diamond Bay Resort to all Nha Trang travellers. Bath room dies smell of mold but u just leave light and air conditioning on 24/ 7 and shut the door. I don't experience Russian get better customer services. As I am have been give very customised professional customer care. My room ie 3202 on first floor wuth working lifts. Looking forward to staying here again next year!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Room was average for the price. The Vietnamese restaurant was terrible but the pool restaurant was much better. The pool was fantastic and the service was fantastic and relaxing. Beach was just ordinary. The gardens are just sensational !!!!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple